It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bypass Filter FS-2500
PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:59 pm 
LOST Member

I installed a bypass filter on my Jeep this weekend.

The Filtration Solutions FS-2500 Jeep CRD Kit. Everything was completely thought out, down to the custom length oil hoses and bracket.

The installation was pretty straight forward. First step, mark where the oil return hole goes:

then drill:

thread:

insert JIC fitting and replace. This was the most involved step of the whole process.

Next, unbolt the transmission cross-member to install the housing (11 lbs.) on its pre-drilled mounting bracket (5 lbs.) and attach hoses:

(I had attached the fittings to the filter earlier.) The next step was messy; connect the high pressure tap:

After that it was just a matter of tying down the hoses with the included clips and zip ties.

The kit came with all the fittings, hoses, bracket and instructions. It includes a plug and cap that you can use to disable flow through the filter if needed. The only unusual things I supplied were the pipe dope, a 1/8" NPT tap and a pipe wrench (to get the filler pipe off).

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.
2016 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD.

Last edited by user113 on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Bypass Filter FS-2500
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:03 am 
LOST Member

What's the purpose of this?

Front sits 23
Rear sits 22 3/4
265 75 16 Maxxis Big Horn MT
GDE Hot Tune
Bumper trimming up front

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:16 am 
LOST Member

LS12FAST4U wrote:
What's the purpose of this?

I'm hoping it will significantly reduce the soot and other abrasives in the oil to reduce wear. The jury is still out on this though...

2005 Liberty Limited CRD; Air Filter Monitor; Samco Hoses; GDE HOT Tune; RL037142AA TC; KJ Interior Rack from All J Products; JBA Adjust-a-strut lift and A-Arms; 245/75R16 Firestone Destination ATs on Moabs; ARB Bumper; ASFIR Skids; FS-2500 Bypass Filter; ARP studs.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:57 am 
LOST Member

I gotcha... Well hopefully you have good luck with it.

Front sits 23
Rear sits 22 3/4
265 75 16 Maxxis Big Horn MT
GDE Hot Tune
Bumper trimming up front

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:52 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Nice looking kit and great write-up!

It will be interesting to see how the rockers look when we get in there, since that return line location should be bathing at least the front ones in oil. It still blows my mind that there isn't a clear path for oil to get to the roller bearings.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

Nice clean looking install. let us know if your oil becomes cleaner?

Not to be critical...but i hope your not taking to much oil away from the rest of the engine? Oil will take the path of least resistance.

Good Luck

KJJET

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:52 pm 
LOST Member

The jury is not still out.
I have been creeping up, at about 2-2.5K between OCIs, only because I am old school and playing it safe.
My next OC will be at 20K as per Blackstone as the results of my last UOA. We'll see what that says.
My oil after 17.5K was cleaner than others who change their oil at 6.25K.
The filter does not take too much oil away from the engine.
But on that note:
OP: Make sure you have the 0.031 orifice as the oil restrictor fitting.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 am 
LOST Junkie

Great to know. I was not sure if a restrictor was being used. Good.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Where can I buy one of these???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:13 pm 
LOST Member

If someone doesn't want to use a tee for supply line, you may be able to use one of these.

http://shop.perma-cool.com/161-Turbo-Oiler-Adapter-3-4-16-thread-161.htm

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
LOST Member

CRD Joe wrote:
Where can I buy one of these???

I ordered it directly from Filtration Solutions:

http://store.fs2500.com/jeeplibertycrdenginekit-stainlessonly.aspx

Well, regarding:

DocB wrote:
The jury is not still out.

I was thinking of:

cevans wrote:
Skip the bypass filter. I've seen these motors with hundreds of thousands of miles on them, putting in another filter won't do anything to extend engine life.

I use 0w40 Mobil 1 in the winter, 5w40 all other times (sometimes TDT but I switched to Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech recently)

See viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53638&start=20

DocB wrote:
OP: Make sure you have the 0.031 orifice as the oil restrictor fitting.

I didn't measure it; the oil pressure light goes off right away. The parts manual refers to "RST2406-4-4 .62" but does not mention a size (it is clearly NOT .62 inches; maybe .62 mm which would be close to 0.025 inches).

DocB wrote:
I have been creeping up, at about 2-2.5K between OCIs, only because I am old school and playing it safe.
My next OC will be at 20K as per Blackstone as the results of my last UOA. We'll see what that says.
My oil after 17.5K was cleaner than others who change their oil at 6.25K.

My oil had over 19K on it when I installed the FS-2500 as per Blackstone's recommendations; I was using the MicroGreen bypass filters at the time. I will post the report when I get it; I just mailed the sample today. I plan on going much longer on the same oil once I finish the recommended first 5K "scrubbing" operation. Like, 40K-50K. Depending on how the TBN holds out.

Last edited by user113 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:01 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
50k on an oil change? :shock:

Aren't you concerned about the additive package and loss of corrosion protection or accruing acid from combustion? I haven't done Blackstone's tests, so I will certainly be interested in seeing any of your result sheets sometime. I just can't imagine never changing the oil over that much time. It isn't like the oil change is that expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
It isn't like the oil change is that expensive.

I agree. $529.00 + shipping will buy 12 do it yourself oil changes and if you multiply that number by a 5000 mile OC intervals, it amounts to 70,000 miles and that is a lot of miles.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:14 am 
LOST Member

These things take out that dreaded condensation and its ability to form acids in diesel engine oil.
Proven technology - that cleaner your oil remains the better the job it does. By - pass oil filtration always limits to a maximum of 10 % of full flow so it cannot rob too much away from the main lub system.
Interested to see your test results when available.
I support your actions and commend you on your installation.
If you change oil based on reliable test results - why not?

NO SOOT! woohoo.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Do they still recommend a 10k mile change interval for the bypass filter element on an engine this small? Seems excessive given that it's not a 15L OTR engine burning 10 gal of fuel per hour.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:41 pm 
LOST Member

racertracer wrote:
geordi wrote:
It isn't like the oil change is that expensive.

I agree. $529.00 + shipping will buy 12 do it yourself oil changes and if you multiply that number by a 5000 mile OC intervals, it amounts to 70,000 miles and that is a lot of miles.

I installed one of these too on 8/24 with 153K miles on the odo. The reason I did is that I'm moving from MI to VA. I don't know if I'll have a garage or a convenient place to work on this thing for a while...lots of rules in the Richmond area. I'm also going to run miles up a lot faster (over 4000 miles is a little over 3 weeks) while I'm working in VA and going to visit the family in MI the next couple of months while our house there sells and we get stuff moved down here. ...like the apartment I'm currently in forbids one to work on their car.

The thing is about 5K oil changes, which I've been doing too, is that you accumulate a lot of used oil that you have to take a trip and have disposed of somewhere. I'm hoping to go at least 30K miles between changes. I calculated that the break even point is about 100K miles. This is comparing the cost of the FS2500 system (nice kit), filters that get changed at 10K intervals and the make-up oil needed to the cost of oil and filters for doing changes each 5K mile interval. The main difference for me is the convenience of not having to take 30+ gallons of oil in for disposal. Since the kit is designed for vehicles with engines twice the size of ours, I figure I'll do the first change of the bypass filter at 10K miles...that critter probably has 4 times the filtering area of our full flow filters.

I agree that one can expect to lose some of the additives and some of the TBN as the oil is used over the long interval. The thing is, one will add 2 to 3 quarts of oil over 10K miles between the make-up of what the crankcase blows though the intake and the fact that filter cartridge increases the oil capacity by 1 to 1.5 quarts. The additives will get replenished to some degree, which may help facilitate the longer interval between drains. The Blackstone analyses will tell the tale.

I will say that when I check my oil after the first 1000 miles, I was initially shocked. It was dusk and there wasn't a lot of like outside and I couldn't see any oil on the dipstick. My heart sank for a moment thinking I had some massive leak somewhere. So, I rechecked multiple times and finally found a good angle in the light to where I could see the oil on the stick. It was just so clean that it wasn't showing up. The GDE tune does a nice job of keeping oil clean and the filter system kicks it up a notch. I can say that after 2500 miles, the oil still looks clean on the stick and only appears light gray on the towel used to wipe the dipstick.

I do have a bit of confusion, however. The vendor of the FS2500 claims that the cleaner oil can result in a increase in fuel economy. It does seem that I've gotten a bump of 1-2 mpg on the highway. However, I'm trying to figure out if it's an anomaly or something real. My area of MI generally has crap diesel. The diesel in the Richmond area here may be a little better quality, and I historically tend to see better mileage when I've filled up in KY or OH after visiting my parents. I also notice that there isn't a terrible amount of wind in this area whereas I always seem to be driving in a headwind in the flat lands of mid-Michigan. I was also one of those people that had a catch can between the CCV and intake and had the hose freeze up on me which resulted in a bunch of oil being sent through the exhaust a few years ago, so I don't know if the cat had been coked up all of this time and has finally burned out or what. I will say, prior to relocating here, I generally saw 26-28 mpg on the highway and now I've seen 29-31 my last few long trips...and this is running 70-75 up and down hills in WV or across the PA turnpike.

So, I'm not saying the bypass filter will result in better mileage. I don't have enough data points to make that conclusion. The above is about a 10% increase which makes me skeptical and I'd probably vote for better fuel. It will be interesting if the other members who have a bypass system see a change in their fuel economy.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 am 
LOST Member

You do not have to change the bypass filter at 10K with our small engines.
I'm at 20K and creeping up and the reports have been great.
Also, it filters "better" the older it gets, up to a point.
I could get more technical, but I think you get the idea.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:27 am 
LOST Addict

Clean oil is never a bad thing. If it IS good for a 10% bump in fuel mileage, I will be the first to find a place in my engine to install one on my TDI, and never look back.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If cleaner oil gives you better mileage - then you had a real problem in the engine to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:01 pm 
LOST Member

Not content with that- cleaner oil with less extraneous matter namely (particulates- ie: soot) offers a lower frictional coefficient. Does it not?
If angular coalescing particulates can be more effectively remove it must help.
Read the real numbers from FleetGuard etc - this has been proven repeatedly:
Work done by tribologists per SAE 710813 and 790089
Upper Conrod bearing seal wear reduces from reduced by 30% wear
Lower conrod bearing shell wear is reduced by 63%
Upper mainbearing seal is reduced to 49% less wear
and lower main bearing shell is reduced by 64%
These figures are reflect the gains between full flow only compared to full flow AND by-pass.

Has merit to me.