It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ill take the loss.. i just want out!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

While back I posted about my 05 crd limited that dropped a valve in cyl 2. I haven't touched it and I don't see myself ever trusting the 2.8 vm ( especially hearing how many crd owners are in the same boat as me) so I bought a new vehicle and I don't just want my liberty to sit. I've posted it for sale for 4500 but only low ball offers.. someone suggested converting to a 3.7? Is that too much headache? Its a great jeep besides the crapped out vm. And I'm not looking for a fight from the vm lovers my experience led me to never wanting to ever buy or drive a vm powered vehicle. I just need to be done and take this as a lesson learned. I bought it for 11k last year and still owe money on it. Ill be taking a personal loan if I sell it and eat the rest. or convert it to 3.7 gas where there so readily available and parts are so much cheaper making me feel better driving it.

Post subject: Re: ill take the loss.. i just want out!
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:00 pm 
LOST Member

For all the money you will spend to put the 3.7 in it you might as well fix the 2.8. The 3.7 isn't the greatest engine either. It had oil pump problems and also the pcv system is crap. It collects lots of moisture in the bottomend aand if you only drive short trips you never get the engine hot enough to get the moisture out of it. Even with regular oil changes the bottom end has problems. Simple and easy to see the moisture build up to. Take off the oil cap and you will see lots of yellow nasty foam and sludge.

Front sits 23
Rear sits 22 3/4
265 75 16 Maxxis Big Horn MT
GDE Hot Tune
Bumper trimming up front

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:04 pm 
LOST Member

I paid 4200 for mine it needed a timing belt and transfer case rebuilt. But ran and drove. The low ball might not be a low as you think. You might want to part it out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Emotions aside, the best (financial) move you might make is identifying a competent repair source and at least getting the engine working properly. You may not want to drive it yourself, but I'm guessing the (potentially reasonable) investment in repair would do a lot to make it move with a potential buyer.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:40 pm 
LOST Addict

While I understand your pain the engine design is not the problem. If your looking to blame someone try the EPA, and Chrysler design engineers that tacked on the pollution control system, and came up with the US service recommendations. These engine just don't have these sort of problems outside of the EPA jurisdiction.
I know that is little comfort to you and wish you good luck in finding a buyer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1st off..... where is the Jeep located?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LS12FAST4U wrote:
For all the money you will spend to put the 3.7 in it you might as well fix the 2.8. The 3.7 isn't the greatest engine either. It had oil pump problems and also the pcv system is crap. It collects lots of moisture in the bottomend aand if you only drive short trips you never get the engine hot enough to get the moisture out of it. Even with regular oil changes the bottom end has problems. Simple and easy to see the moisture build up to. Take off the oil cap and you will see lots of yellow nasty foam and sludge.

Never heard of any oil pump issues in the 3.7.Easy cure for that sludge in the oil fill is to drive it more then 2 miles.The 3.7 is 10 times the engine the 2.8 will ever be.With very little maintenance you can go well over 200k in a 3.7,you need major repairs(yes a timing belt is a major repair) and all the luck in the world to break 100k without a $5000+ repair bill with the 2.8.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:23 pm 
LOST Member

But you can not run Waste Veg Oil in a 3.7 gas engine. A 2.8 diesel works great. You need to either sell it for a low ball offer or have it fixed and sell it. Engine conversions are never worth the money without a lot of hard manual labor on the part of the person doing the conversion.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 pm 
LOST Addict

tjkj2002 wrote:
The 3.7 is 10 times the engine the 2.8 will ever be.With very little maintenance you can go well over 200k in a 3.7,you need major repairs(yes a timing belt is a major repair) and all the luck in the world to break 100k without a $5000+ repair bill with the 2.8.

10 times the crd engine, I doubt, no offense tjkj... Maybe the 4.0 gasser would be a better comparison, that engine is way more reliable, more efficient, but I believe it has a tiny bit less torque than the 3.7. With proper maintenance (which to be honest, IS costly for crd vs gasser, but no way $5k for 100k miles - used to be 1000+ but thanks to id parts, is much less now) I can easily see this engine going double the miles of the 3.7. But, if I'd have to get a liberty, and I would like a hassle free engine, I'd definitely pick up the 3.7... Otherwise, crd has almost twice the torque of the gasser (with gde tune), better acceleration, not to mention the smile it brings on your face. The bad aspect of the crd is the fact you really need to be knowledgeable about some maintenance procedures, which makes owning a crd pretty painful for the regular consumer. Considering mileage plus maintenance costs between crd and 3.7, I do think you sort of breaking even with both. I have to admit I still own the crd because I am a diesel nut.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:
tjkj2002 wrote:
The 3.7 is 10 times the engine the 2.8 will ever be.With very little maintenance you can go well over 200k in a 3.7,you need major repairs(yes a timing belt is a major repair) and all the luck in the world to break 100k without a $5000+ repair bill with the 2.8.

10 times the crd engine, I doubt, no offense tjkj... Maybe the 4.0 gasser would be a better comparison, that engine is way more reliable, more efficient, but I believe it has a tiny bit less torque than the 3.7. With proper maintenance (which to be honest, IS costly for crd vs gasser, but no way $5k for 100k miles - used to be 1000+ but thanks to id parts, is much less now) I can easily see this engine going double the miles of the 3.7. But, if I'd have to get a liberty, and I would like a hassle free engine, I'd definitely pick up the 3.7... Otherwise, crd has almost twice the torque of the gasser (with gde tune), better acceleration, not to mention the smile it brings on your face. The bad aspect of the crd is the fact you really need to be knowledgeable about some maintenance procedures, which makes owning a crd pretty painful for the regular consumer. Considering mileage plus maintenance costs between crd and 3.7, I do think you sort of breaking even with both. I have to admit I still own the crd because I am a diesel nut.

The 4slow was one of the most un-efficient engines made.They barely scrapped past emissions when brand new and had to be dropped after '06,like the CRD, because it could not pass simple emission tests.Emission tests for a gas engine is far stricter then for a diesel as for what is coming out the tailpipe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

I hit 130,000 miles today on my 06 CRD. No major engine problems as of yet and I suspect I'll easily get 200k out of my ride. I like having more torque in my CRD than my very old Ford 5.4L gasser

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:02 am 
LOST Member

Where is it located? post a link to your ad?

May be interested...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:39 am 
LOST Member

The 2.8 vw is a good motor. The issue is the egr. Over the years of working on Cummins ISX and Detroit series 60 they have a lot of the same issues caused by the egr. Wiped cam lobes,bad rockers, clogged intakes. Before on the non egr motors,we never saw these issues before.

450awhp/400awtq autocross slut

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:20 pm 
LOST Junkie

I owned the CRD for around 5 years and after countless small issues and breakdowns I gave up. Now I never had any major internal engine issues but after all the little things I sold it. My girlfriend didn't trust it anymore, she was always worried that if I was out of town she would break down and I wouldn't be around to fix the Jeep. One of the best and worst days is when the little jeep left, I really love the idea of the CRD but I am with the OP, I will never drive another VM powered vehicle again. Jeep should have stuck with Mercedes.

-05 Dark Khaki Limited CRD. GDE ECO tune. In-tank lift pump, Transgo doo doo kit, B&M trans cooler, replaced trans solenoid pack and filters, Newer Michelin tires, Timing belt with all related parts replaced at 110,000miles.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I also had a CRD and this is my first post in a long time.

I bought it new in '05 and got rid of it in 2011 for a Tacoma. It was a real love/hate relationship with the car, much like that old girlfriend who gave you great sex, but was such a pain in the booty you had to finally walk away. My jeep had about 75k miles when I punted. It had 4 EGRs in its short lifetime and a whole host of other issues which produced a CEL. The final straw occurred when I got a CEL which the dealer identified as needing a new EVIC and EGR. Both were covered under warranty (the evic under federal smog rules and the evic because it had been less than a year/12k miles since the previous changeout) but it would have been 1200 in repair costs if I had to pay. I realized that in order to keep the thing I would have to invest $ 500 in a GDE tune and was shortly looking at a lot more for timing belt/water pump. It was just not worth the trouble. I got to the point where every time I drove it I expected something else to go wrong. As I neither have the time nor mechanical ability (tools) to do major work it was simply time to go. I do miss it which is why I still lurk here, but boy am I glad I got rid of it. I only got 9600 on the trade (in 2011) which was way below KBB/Edmunds but I tried for over a month with Craigs list and cars.com and got only 1 possible person who even wanted to come look at it. The reputation was so bad that the dealer really did not want to take it either.
I do have to say that although the Tacoma is a different type of vehicle it does have 4 doors and I can carry whatever I need. In addition, other than routine oil changes (the first two years free from Toyota) I have never had to take the vehicle in for service. What a change, I had the Jeep dealer on speed dial but the Toyota place isn't programmed on my phone.

I will never and I repeat NEVER buy another Chrysler product again and as far as Motori is concerned, well I cant print that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:17 pm 
LOST Addict

I do not recall a single jeep that you buy from factory and don't have to do any mod to it. Lol. Not even a Rubicon. Either mod it to make it a better offroad, either mod it to make it better and more efficient, either both. I wouldn't buy a jeep bottom line if I wouldn't be inclined in doing some mods. I'd get a Toyota or honda and that would be it. But I was never into Japanese cars. Now, on the top of being a jeep, crd is also a diesel, engineered with a horrible egr. Take the egr out and you have 90% issues gone.

Regarding 4.0 litter (or 4slow as tjkj likes to call it) it's an engine designed in early 80s, and it is one of the most reliable engines ever made. It's not going to be comparable to a modern engine, I think the last ones had less than 200 horses, which is ridiculous for a 4 litter, but otherwise, very tough engine. Cast iron and steel, timing chain, no aluminum cyl head, something nobody makes this days for a regular car/SUV. I'd personally get an old style engine anytime to a fully electronic controlled new drama aluminum loaded engine.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thermorex wrote:

Regarding 4.0 litter (or 4slow as tjkj likes to call it) it's an engine designed in early 80s, and it is one of the most reliable engines ever made. It's not going to be comparable to a modern engine, I think the last ones had less than 200 horses, which is ridiculous for a 4 litter, but otherwise, very tough engine. Cast iron and steel, timing chain, no aluminum cyl head, something nobody makes this days for a regular car/SUV. I'd personally get an old style engine anytime to a fully electronic controlled new drama aluminum loaded engine.

The 4slow is much older then the '80's,started out as the 4.2 I6.Any 4.0 built after '01 if I remember correctly had those awful 303 casting head that liked to crack and cause issues.They never stop leaking oil from the rear main,oil pan gasket,and valve cover gasket,crack exhaust manifolds left and right,and have no power(yes I owned one for a year).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:12 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

The 4slow is much older then the '80's,started out as the 4.2 I6.Any 4.0 built after '01 if I remember correctly had those awful 303 casting head that liked to crack and cause issues.They never stop leaking oil from the rear main,oil pan gasket,and valve cover gasket,crack exhaust manifolds left and right,and have no power(yes I owned one for a year).

I had the 4.2 in my 87 Wrangler. My brothers father in law has it now as a ranch Jeep. Still going with over 300k miles on it.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:40 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
I had a 96 Grand Cherokee for a few years, it was my sister's car during college. In almost 4 years of ownership, that thing needed a long list of minor repairs however - a constant stream.

The engine block and head were fine, I didn't do anything with the exhaust, fuel injection, or EGR systems... What it needed were things that shouldn't have broken so often! Remember, this is all within nearly 4 years:

2 alternators
3 power steering pump pulleys
Serpentine tensioner
Power steering pump
radiator (stupid plastic outlet on the end cracked by itself)

locks on the driver's door and steering column from an attempted theft - They had it RUNNING but couldn't get the shifter out of park. (I kinda wish they HAD gotten it)

Locked me out of the thing WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING on the day I was to drive it to its new owner
On the way, it hydroplaned in a 40mph cross wind while towing my Jetta sedan on a tow dolly, got me BACKWARDS in the median at 50mph before finally stopping facing the right way again - amazingly, no damage to anything!

Once the new owner had it, she was visiting the Jeep parts counter so often that she actually fell in love and married the parts guy! They now have a daughter, and thankfully she is still a friend. That list of parts above? She had to replace ALL of that at least once again herself!

I don't really believe in cursed vehicles, but THAT grand cherokee was testing my sanity on a regular basis. That was the third Mopar to join my family, and the one that started our belief in Chrysler's "Lack-Of-Quality" design ethos. The CRD pretty much sealed it. No more Mopar for any of my family EVER again. We still have a 94 Town and Country minivan and a 97 Grand Cherokee with the V8 engine... Both are over 240k miles on their original engines and don't look to great either. They aren't worth the effort to scrap them, but at least they can haul stuff around once in a while. When they finally die... No more.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

and FYI - have you ever driven a 3.7 - it's a dog.
Really have to rev the engine to make it move and it drinks gas like it's going out of style.
I got stuck in one for a rental - it was a pain - never again.

Hemi might be reasonable - but I'd put it in a Wrangler.

in general engine swaps don't work in computer land - you can make the pieces match - no problem
but good luck getting computers to talk - Chrysler couldn'd do it right in the first place.

The biggest real problem with the CRD from day one has been the lack of trained tech's - there's no problem with them in Oz, Europe or SA - because they have mechanics that understand how to work on them.

EGR adds a bit of a problem - but mainly because they don't understand the base engine.