It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: how to remove radio panel, 05 KJ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've done some searches here, but can't find out how to remove this part of the dash. I'm trying to install the actual brake controller. I have all the wires ready, just need to find a convenient place to mount it, and a way to get the wires there.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Post subject: Re: how to remove radio panel, 05 KJ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

Diagram is from an early KJ but it's the same process: remove the screw (#4) inside the tray. Then give it a good tug. It's held in by clips.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Remove the phillips screw in the little compartment next to the cig lighter.

Using plastic putty knives or something similar, pop the plastic panel out one clip at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:19 am 
LOST Addict

It comes out very easy once you get the screw out. I had to remove it to install the wiring for the 7 pin trailer harness.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:32 am 
LOST Addict

exactly as others said I had mine apart just over a month ago to install my new Alpine head unit, steering wheel control adapter and little sat tuner box. its very easy to get off. I pried it off with my hand after I got he screw out but you will need to be careful not to scratch it if you use tools to pry the clips free.

there is a good amount of room behind there and a space between the area were the "ashtray" would be and the center console. even more if you have a single DIN after market head unit as they are not as wide or tall as the 1.5 DIN high Chrysler units.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:23 pm 
LOST Addict

ED wrote:
I've done some searches here, but can't find out how to remove this part of the dash. I'm trying to install the actual brake controller. I have all the wires ready, just need to find a convenient place to mount it, and a way to get the wires there.

Thanks in advance,
Ed

Kind of off topic(but related to the brake controller), I ran into this when I was installing the supplemental 7 pin wiring harness(the one that runs from the battery to the trunk to feed 12V power) into my jeep. The original design of the harness has you plug into the cigarette lighter plug shown in the picture above which is a switched plug, meaning it turns off when the car turns off. Our 05/06 CRDs obviously don't have the cigarette lighter plug, just the power outlet which is always-on even when the key is not in the ignition.

The original intention of using the cigarette lighter was so that when the key was turned off, the cigarette lighter would turn off and in turn it would trigger a solenoid in the trailer wiring harness to open and cut power to the trailer wiring. In our 05/06's, since the power outlet is used instead and is always on, the trailer wiring is always powered regardless of the key being in the ignition or not. I dont know what the consequences of this are but I believe it has caused a very light drain on my battery, basically whatever power is required to keep the wiring harness solenoid engaged.

I would be curious if the supplemental harness that has the blue wire for the brake controller is the same in a factory installed trailer tow package as it is when you buy it from Mopar. Could you check and see if the trailer harness is plugged inline with your 12v power outlet behind the dash bezel?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 am 
LOST Addict

Worse case, you can pull an ignition plus from the radio, this is what I did when I needed a switched plus, you may need a bigger fuse or a relay for that wire.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.