It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cruise Control Has a Mind of Its Own
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I am a persistent user of my cruise, both for convenience and for mileage.

The last week or so, I've been setting it and noticed a slow acceleration after hitting set. Worse yet, I hit cancel, drive using the pedal and it will -all on it's own- resume. Kinda gets your attention when your driving 40 and had the cruise previously set at 65 and it auto-resumes.

Only thing I can think is a faulty resume/accel switch.

I've searched the forums but only find a smattering of unrelated cases.

Ideas??

2005 CRD: 84k miles, EHM, ORM, Samco Intercooler hoses, Wix filters, MAP Sensor Cleaned, Fully Synthetic fluids, B100, (F37 'De-Tune'... I think!)

2005 CRD: EHM, ORM, Intake Elbow Kit (EGR Delete), Isloated EGR Coolant Circuit, Samco Turbo Hoses, Timing Belt at 110k miles (new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator hoses, new idler pulley...from ID Parts), Etecno1 Glow Plugs, New OEM Turbo at 130k miles... approaching 140k as of Dec 14.

Post subject: Re: Cruise Control Has a Mind of Its Own
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:11 am 
LOST Junkie

Sounds like a noisy resume switch, doesn't it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

msilbernagel wrote:
Sounds like a noisy resume switch, doesn't it?

That's what I'm thinking. Found the on/off switch at parts geek for $18:

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2005/j ... witch.html

But they don't have the resume/accel/decel switch. For $18 I'll probably try a new resume switch. Or may try cleaning the old one.

Anyone got other ideas on another source for a resume switch? Apparently it's the same part for 2005 and '06.

2005 CRD: EHM, ORM, Intake Elbow Kit (EGR Delete), Isloated EGR Coolant Circuit, Samco Turbo Hoses, Timing Belt at 110k miles (new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator hoses, new idler pulley...from ID Parts), Etecno1 Glow Plugs, New OEM Turbo at 130k miles... approaching 140k as of Dec 14.

Last edited by maxf15 on Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

How about this one?

http://www.mypartsgarage.com/wells-wells-engine-management-engine-4893.html

Part number in the fiche is: 1AZ50DX9AA

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

msilbernagel wrote:
How about this one?

Mark

Yep, thanks! You found it before I did.

Also found it here at MMA Auto Parts:

http://www.mmaautoparts.com/1az50dx9ab.html

On sale for $15. Heck shipping was $13, UPS was the only selection. Just placed the order.

We'll see if it fixes the auto-resume/accel problem in a week or so.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:57 am 
LOST Junkie

maxf15 wrote:
msilbernagel wrote:
How about this one?

Mark

Yep, thanks! You found it before I did.

Also found it here at MMA Auto Parts:

http://www.mmaautoparts.com/1az50dx9ab.html

On sale for $15. Heck shipping was $13, UPS was the only selection. Just placed the order.

We'll see if it fixes the auto-resume/accel problem in a week or so.

I like MMA - got most of the parts for the 100k service there.

Mark

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

(Edit: This post was premature... keep reading below). Yep, old switch was noisy. I installed the one from MMA that arrived yesterday. Three screws (two to remove the airbag and one that holds the switch against the steering wheel). Less than 5 minutes, works like new.

Gotta love success stories... and compact tractors with four doors.

Last edited by maxf15 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:14 am 
LOST Addict

maxf15 wrote:
Yep, old switch was noisy. I installed the one from MMA that arrived yesterday. Three screws (two to remove the airbag and one that holds the switch against the steering wheel). Less than 5 minutes, works like new.

Gotta love success stories... and compact tractors with four doors.

You could have added the radio buttons while you were in there......just sayin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Well... not so fast, I guess. Same problem is happening with the new switch.

After tons of reading/searching (I have the dimming head/dome light issue as well), the only thing I can come up with is the alternator diodes. (Internal voltage regulator.)

So I found a $50 off coupon and free shipping at advance auto and ordered one.

The quest continues.

Oh, Sir Sam... my Jeep already had the radio switches. But good thought.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 11:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, I received a new alternator and installed it Saturday. Thought everything was working fine; didn't notice any dimming of the headlights while driving Saturday night, and the cruise stayed on. Then whammo, cruise started acting up again this week.

So... new accel/decel switch, new alternator, and I removed the battery cables and cleaned them with a terminal brush, replaced the cables, even used diaelectric grease on the battery studs.

I checked my main ground, and it was secure. Never took it loose though. Maybe I'll try that too.

Well, it's back to the drawing board on this one. I'm at a complete loss from this point. :dizzy:

Anyone else have ideas?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Resurrecting this discussion...

I've put 60k miles on my CRD since my original post, and yes the cruise is still intermittent.

Removed/replaced the alternator and accel/decel switch... still happens. No codes.

Hoping there's someone out there with more ideas.

Anyone???

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Could be a problem in the clockspring of the steering wheel. Resistance in the contacts causing false signals.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:40 pm 
LOST Member

Don't really have any suggestions on your cruise control issue but correct me if I'm wrong. Dielectric grease is non conductive and not something you want to use on your battery terminals as it will impede electrical flow.

'06 Liberty CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, Lift Pump

Head Gasket and Timing Belt Pics

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mark2m is at least partially correct. Dielectric grease shouldn't be used on electric contacts but it can be used on plug housings, including rubber seals, to keep out moisture. As such if you have cleaned your battery terminals and clamps and reinstalled them then I would think dielectric grease is one of several products that could be applied afterwards to prevent intrusion of water and/or corrosion in the battery contacts.

Clock spring is a real possibility if the switches on the steering wheel hub have been replaced.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:38 am 
LOST Junkie

Clockspring is a real possability...not difficult to replace.

Brake switch? There are three contacts in the brake switch...one is used to kill cruise control but I am not sure if a bad contact there could cause your description of the problem! :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks to all... I'll start investigating the clockspring and brake switch contacts. Hoping it's the clockspring.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Significant update... I got an OBDII Bluetooth adapter to read codes. Actually got it to troubleshoot a turbo/vacuum issue. But it showed a P0564 (in addition to other turbo related stuff). Cruise control multi-function switch. The irony is Advance Auto scanners never picked up this code, but Torque Pro Android app and my Bluetooth iDiagnose adapter did.

Anyone know exactly what part that is?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

:pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper:

Ok, you'll never believe it...

About a month ago my stock radio gave up the ghost. A couple 'relay sounding' clicks associated with flickering on/off radio power, and poof. Caput!

So I went on Cutchfield's site and ordered a Kenwood with bluetooth, etc. Once I removed the old stereo, the cruise has worked like new.

Not one single hiccup over 3000 miles!!

I am no auto electric pro, but my best guess is that all that stuff up front must go through a node that had been noisy from a fritzy radio. (I use only technical terms, of course.)

If anyone is trying to trouble shoot a cruise control with a mind of its own, try removing the stock radio. Don't cost you nuthin' and it might just work!