It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold CRD shutter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok I'm hoping someone can help me out here. I've got a 06 kj CRD with around 130,000 on the clock. It starts and runs just fine, however when I'm braking and get down somewhere around low speed in second gear, or the top of first gear I get a bad shutter. This has never occurred when I'm either accelerating or maintaining speed. Only when the engine is coming to an idle. then once i'm stopped and the engine idles it feels normal again. Once it's all warmed up after I've been driving for around 15 to 20 minutes it seems to go away. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Cold CRD shutter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:03 pm 
LOST Member

There have been a few people speculating that the torque converter might not be unlocking when it should, and stalling the engine when cold and coming to a stop. Does this sound like you?

Cummins Lift Pump
Transgo HD2 Reprogramming Kit
DIY Rebuilt Tranny Pump
Suncoast Torque Converter
2nd Generation Fuel Head
Sears P1 Battery
Hot Diesel Solutions Thermostat

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When was the last time you changed all your fluids and filters, including rear diff, front diff anf transfer case.

Also, check ujoints, engine and tranny mounts.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mike92104 wrote:
There have been a few people speculating that the torque converter might not be unlocking when it should, and stalling the engine when cold and coming to a stop. Does this sound like you?

Mike, that is what I am thinking as well? Cdubs are you using the correct ATF+4 or a fits all synthetic? Any additives? Mopar trannies do not like anything strange in them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sounds like the tc locking up could be a possibility. Would it not be affected when the engine is under load? I was also thinking about changing fluids. I'm not sure when the last time that was done. Not since I've had this Jeep

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Definitely sounds like TC not unlocking. Fluid/filter change typically does not cure this, but it is the first step. STRONGLY advise AGAINST a flush. Drain for several hours with pan off. Use only MOPAR filters (2), refill with ATF +4. Make sure you check final level with engine running in PARK. Hope this takes care of it.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:29 pm 

cdubs, make sure your transmission oil level is at the max level mark in park on level ground at normal operating temperature with AFT+4.
Some have posted that a below full level can cause what you have described.
Good luck and let us know if you are able to figure it out. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:07 am 
LOST Member

Mine was doing that bad, then added: http://www.lucasoil.com/articlelist1-15 ... missionFix

pretty much runs like a champ now!

265 70r 16
SC Bumper
Glass Pack
Provent
Dodge 2500 in tank Lift pump
Samco Hoses
Rocky Road UCA
Transgo shift kit
Updated torque converter
Weeks Kit 1 & 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:15 am 
LOST Addict

You can rule out the TC not unlocking by not letting it lock in the first place. So, if you keep your top speed below 56mph does this still happen?

What about if you drop it into neutral as you decelerate?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:37 am 
LOST Newbie

Sorry for the delayed response but I work nights and have been working the past couple nights. Anyways the atf+4 was indeed a little low, and the fluid on the dip stick seemed to be a bit dark to me, so after a few hours of much needed sleep today I think I'm going to pull the pan and drain the fluid then refill. And see what that does for me. To answer the other question if I keep it under 56 mph it will still do it when it's cold, but the new thing I noticed this morning was a bit of a shake and a surge either forward or backwards ( depending on which gear I'm in) and it feels like letting out the clutch but not giving the engine quite enough gas where it wants to stall out but isn't quite there yet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cdubs wrote:
Sorry for the delayed response but I work nights and have been working the past couple nights. Anyways the atf+4 was indeed a little low, and the fluid on the dip stick seemed to be a bit dark to me, so after a few hours of much needed sleep today I think I'm going to pull the pan and drain the fluid then refill. And see what that does for me. To answer the other question if I keep it under 56 mph it will still do it when it's cold, but the new thing I noticed this morning was a bit of a shake and a surge either forward or backwards ( depending on which gear I'm in) and it feels like letting out the clutch but not giving the engine quite enough gas where it wants to stall out but isn't quite there yet.

Sounds like mine did when I used Amsoil? Nothing but ATF+4 for me now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:14 am 
LOST Addict

Be sure to ALSO replace filter along with fluid, MOPAR ONLY.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

So far a fluid and filter change in the trans seems to have done the trick. after getting it all put back together I took it for about 15-20 minute test drive and could not replicate the problem. I took it from several speeds down to zero and in every gear all the way up to 5th. I also couldn't replicate the problem when first shifting into drive of it "pulling" and trying to stall out. Now I just need to watch my fluid levels over the next few days of driving and see where I'm at. I've replaced 7 quarts so far.

Thanks all for the help, let's hope that this was the fix and the problem doesn't creep back Now it's going to be time to start thinking about replacing my t-stat as i'm running very cool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

And change the differential oil, both front and rear.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:28 pm 

cdubs wrote:
So far a fluid and filter change in the trans seems to have done the trick. after getting it all put back together I took it for about 15-20 minute test drive and could not replicate the problem. I took it from several speeds down to zero and in every gear all the way up to 5th. I also couldn't replicate the problem when first shifting into drive of it "pulling" and trying to stall out. Now I just need to watch my fluid levels over the next few days of driving and see where I'm at. I've replaced 7 quarts so far.

Thanks all for the help, let's hope that this was the fix and the problem doesn't creep back Now it's going to be time to start thinking about replacing my t-stat as i'm running very cool.

Way to Go!
Mine was doing the same thing on occasion when first started and I drove for about 100 feet or so and let off the accelerator to stop. I learned to simply shift it into neutral to stop the shutter and it worked! :)
After changing out the fluid and both filters using Mopar OEM stuff and making sure it is full to the very top of stick mark, I have not experienced the shutter anymore. :BANANA:
Best of luck on your end! :-)r

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:01 am 
LOST Member

Mine would stall the engine...happened about 1 or 2 times a month. I also had the common drainback issue which may have caused some of this. I replaced the front pump when I did the Euro TC almost 2 years ago and filled with Amsoil ATF. No problems since, both drainback and cold stalling. I emailed Keith at GDE about the stalling when cold (TC locked) and he said most likely a low pressure issue.

1992 Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo Pearl White/Black Leather
2008 Kubota GR2110 Diesel
2006 Key West 186 Sportsman w/135HP Honda OB
1943 Farmall H Restored