It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need highpressure power steering line??? dealer says $65
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:37 pm 
LOST Member

The PS hose on these is sold by Mopar as BOTH the feed, return AND the inline cooler. Its a whole unit, and its over $600.

Find a hydraulic shop, they can remake these in their sleep for WAY less.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

I found online shops that sell for ~240 + shipping - but I think the previous poster was correct - it is my transmission cooler lines. I think my PS hoses just looked like they were leaking due to proximity/blow spray.

The leak I am seeing is transmission fluid at the driver side inlet (inlet pressure side?) where it goes into the integrated cooler at the FRONT of the jeep - it is weeping REALLY bad from under the protective "wrap" around the line where it passes through the hole to the xmission cooler.. The outlet side is dry/solid. Looks like the line is just rusted through.

My power steering hasn't dropped one bit since I drained/refilled it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

falcn wrote:
I found online shops that sell for ~240 + shipping - but I think the previous poster was correct - it is my transmission cooler lines. I think my PS hoses just looked like they were leaking due to proximity/blow spray.

The leak I am seeing is transmission fluid at the driver side inlet (inlet pressure side?) where it goes into the integrated cooler at the FRONT of the jeep - it is weeping REALLY bad from under the protective "wrap" around the line where it passes through the hole to the xmission cooler.. The outlet side is dry/solid. Looks like the line is just rusted through.

Nope - I had a transmission cooler leak AND a power steering line leak...FUN.

Got the B&M cooler added yesterday and found the leaky section of the hose this morning. Now to get it off the Jeep... :/

I had ordered one, but the order seemingly hasn't processed yet. if I can get a place to repair the section of hose then I will. If the Mopar hose kit comes I may keep it for the future or return it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hell with this - I might just build my own hose sections with Earl's or Russel lines.

The power steering pump fitting end is M16x1.5 O-ring fitting. Still need to get the 2 ends off the rack.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

D Day wrote:
Have a power steering high pressure leak at the pump.

Did search the threads but no answer could be found for this there is also a possibility that I missed it :P
It is leaking at the o ring I tried to replace the o ring it is still leaking.
The dealer in Canada I spoke to says I can get for 405 dollars for the hose :(
Is there anything else I can try before spending tons of time. Replacing a hose.

I did see adapters made to fit the power steering pump this is what I am looking at. I put the link as a example of what I am looking at there are a few companies that make them.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6253596-fr ... -ring.html

It may not be the right size..... Can anyone tell me the thread of the pump and the rack or what sizes needed.

Want to use the adapters and then go to a hose maker and get the hose made.

On a simple note why did they make the hose so complicated and complicated to remove and replace :P

Thanks in advance.

Did you end up using these fittings?

The one you linked is the correct fitting thread for the pump high pressure side. I measured mine tonight, it is M16x1.5 O-ring fitting with a slight flare to hold the oring in place.

I need to get the line off tomorrow now that I have the crows foot 18mm wrench for the other ends at the steering gear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:19 am 
LOST Newbie

http://www.airhydraulicsupply.com/Autom ... es-PA.html

Gonna try to hit this place up right down the road from me. I'll have to wrap the line up well to keep from getting ATF+4 all over the motorcycle. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Whew - steering hose finally shipped from the OEM parts warehouse!

$250 is still steep for a power steering line, but better than $650!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I just had my high pressure power steering hose go for the 2nd time. The first time I got the OEM hose,which cost almost 400 bucks and took a month to get. With a lot of cursing and struggling I replaced the assembly. A real pain to do.
This time when the hose started leaking I decided to try the reusable hydraulic fittings to repair the leaking section. That lasted about 10 seconds after start up and left a puddle in my driveway.
Back to the drawing board. After talking to a mechanic at my workplace I went to a local hydraulics supplier. I brought the end that goes into the rack and the steel line and fitting from the pump. All of which I had saved from the original line I replaced 3 years ago.
The shop reused the steel line and fitting for the pump end. They welded a fitting to enable attachment of a standard hydraulic hose. They had an adapter for the rack end with the proper o-ring fitting. I bought a premade length of hose with some nice spiral hose wrap for the spots that like to rub on the frame etc. This cost a grand total of 75 bucks.
A couple of hours later with some scraped knuckles it was installed. I left the old assembly in the vehicle, just removing the bits that were in the way.

It works fine except that the steering is stiff at low speeds. I may get some fittings welded on the large can shaped part of the original line which I can only assume is some sort of reservoir for extra fluid.
Anyone have any ideas for this?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Steve-o 666 wrote:
I just had my high pressure power steering hose go for the 2nd time. The first time I got the OEM hose,which cost almost 400 bucks and took a month to get. With a lot of cursing and struggling I replaced the assembly. A real pain to do.
This time when the hose started leaking I decided to try the reusable hydraulic fittings to repair the leaking section. That lasted about 10 seconds after start up and left a puddle in my driveway.
Back to the drawing board. After talking to a mechanic at my workplace I went to a local hydraulics supplier. I brought the end that goes into the rack and the steel line and fitting from the pump. All of which I had saved from the original line I replaced 3 years ago.
The shop reused the steel line and fitting for the pump end. They welded a fitting to enable attachment of a standard hydraulic hose. They had an adapter for the rack end with the proper o-ring fitting. I bought a premade length of hose with some nice spiral hose wrap for the spots that like to rub on the frame etc. This cost a grand total of 75 bucks.
A couple of hours later with some scraped knuckles it was installed. I left the old assembly in the vehicle, just removing the bits that were in the way.

It works fine except that the steering is stiff at low speeds. I may get some fittings welded on the large can shaped part of the original line which I can only assume is some sort of reservoir for extra fluid.
Anyone have any ideas for this?

I got that sensored word installed....holy hell...had to feed up from the bottom and around the rack due to that bulb. If that bulb had ONE fitting on it to make it two pieces, it would have been cake!!

So I thought about that like you did, getting fittings welded to the bulb. I wrapped the hard line with slit fuel line and zip tied it, where it had a problem before - hopefully it will help. The rest of the hard lines on the steering line were in excellent condition.

No leaks.... after two days. Made a little mess when burping it, but ah well. Next on to the timing belt change!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I figured out why the steering was stiff. It was airlocked. I worked it back and forth several times and the system burped. All is well now and back to normal. Now I feel really dumb. I should have known that was the issue.
Anyway all is well that ends well and I save a whack of cash on the repair.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

falcn wrote:

OK, while looking things over while repairing the front brakes, I discovered this power steering line that looks really scary. :banghead:

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles