It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TSB 21-009-06 - Torque Converter Replacement & More!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:49 am 
User "Milous" posted this in the TSB section, where it belongs, but I don't think it will see enough action from us since we all check this section very frequently. Here is the link to the TSB post which contains a link to a .pdf file that can be downloaded.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... php?t=7763

Discussion please? My first comment - do we all need to push to have all this work done? It references that the latest reflash TSB must be done - almost implying this is the reason the 2005/early 2006 CRDs are having torque converter failure. I just had that reflash done (TSB 18-009-06) at 7000 miles, so I've got some "bad" pre-flash mileage on the tranny...

This TSB talks about replacing the torque converter, transmission pump, both filters, and the transmission oil cooler........ But it also states you must have a MIL indication, a rattle sound near the bell housing, AND the lock-unlocking of the TQ to get this done????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:27 am 
LOST Addict

That's the TSB I was talking about on another thread that has come about due to trannys suffering damage from the wrong filter being run in the tranny too long. So didn't get the filter replaced till the unit had many thousands of miles. We had ours replaced about a month after buying, at 1,587 miles. What happens when these trannys were driven to much with wrong filter, I think some were also under filled at factory, is they spew pieces of metal though out the tranny fluid system causing lots of damage and eventually complete trans failure.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:34 pm 
oldnavy wrote:
That's the TSB I was talking about on another thread that has come about due to trannys suffering damage from the wrong filter being run in the tranny too long. So didn't get the filter replaced till the unit had many thousands of miles. We had ours replaced about a month after buying, at 1,587 miles. What happens when these trannys were driven to much with wrong filter, I think some were also under filled at factory, is they spew pieces of metal though out the tranny fluid system causing lots of damage and eventually complete trans failure.

It took me until 7,000 miles to finally find a dealer to do the filter TSB for me (about 6 months). Before this, I let the engine/tranny idle after a cold start for at least 30 seconds every time before removing transmission from Park. Do you think I will have a shortened life span for the transmission, in my case?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:59 pm 
LOST Addict

alljeep wrote:
oldnavy wrote:

It took me until 7,000 miles to finally find a dealer to do the filter TSB for me (about 6 months). Before this, I let the engine/tranny idle after a cold start for at least 30 seconds every time before removing transmission from Park. Do you think I will have a shortened life span for the transmission, in my case?
It's hard to say, I guess it would depend on several things like how cold was it when starting the vehicle as to how fast the fluid got to TQ and if it was ever doing any of the shuttering and slamming that others described. If not you may be ok, but I think I would keep an eye on it and if you get a chance to have the new TSB to replace the TQ, pump and cooler I think I would have it done. I would have it done to mine if dealership offered even though I don't think mine was damaged in 1500 miles of driving before the filter TSB was done.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:58 pm 
oldnavy wrote:
It's hard to say, I guess it would depend on several things like how cold was it when starting the vehicle as to how fast the fluid got to TQ and if it was ever doing any of the shuttering and slamming that others described. If not you may be ok, but I think I would keep an eye on it and if you get a chance to have the new TSB to replace the TQ, pump and cooler I think I would have it done. I would have it done to mine if dealership offered even though I don't think mine was damaged in 1500 miles of driving before the filter TSB was done.

Hmmmmm. Well, I'll just keep my fingers crossed. My Jeep has never sat outside over night, so coldest overnight start was above 40F in my garage. No slamming of the transmission, ever. I "think" I have shuttering (very light) after acceleration and hold in the 60mph area but I immediately apply pressure to the fuel pedal to eliminate it.

Something should show up within the 7/70 powertrain warranty, so at most I'll have to eat a $100 deductible. Certaintly an ongoing mystery - like trying to find an intermittent electrical problem on any 10+ year old vehicle - is it real, or is it my imagination? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I was going to post the same 21-009-06 TSB info here but did not want to cause any confusion. Speaking of TSB's, I have been working on a TSB/Recall "master" listing of ALL KJ TSB's issued since day one (May 2001 to date). I have more than 160 bulletins, all contained in a single 500+ page PDF file and I have it fully indexed by calendar year and service category. I'll post a downloadable link for the file as soon as I add some of the latest listings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

This TSB describes exactly what the dealer is doing to my CRD. They have had it for over a week, and supposedly are waiting for the torque converter to show up. This must be a hot-off-the-presses TSB, i hadnt even heard of it last week. They tried the filter and flash first, but it didn't fix the problem. Hopefully the new TC will last a LOT longer than the first one did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

Many thanks, both from me and my friends in TX. Theirs has been bucking so bad, in their words, it feels as if it's going to shake something off the vehicle. They don't currently have internet access, so I printed off the TSB and will be mailing it to them tomorrow posthaste.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 am 
LOST Member

oldnavy wrote:

Mine was not covered by the TSB you are referencing - but it is covered by this one. A lot of us that have had the tranny shudder were not involved with the wrong tranny filter TSB. Could be that Chrysler had a manufacturing issue with the TC causing it to fail and the resulting particles trashed the rest of the system. Either way I hope I can get my rig fixed finally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 am 
LOST Addict

I was readying that TSB a few days ago at the dealership. The one SW was wondering why this TSB was out as they had never seen a CRD with this problem. They had a couple get the filter replaced early on in ownership with no complaints since. He also could not understand the reasoning for not preforming the TSB if the tranny build date was one that was effected. He a young guy with lots to learn.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:31 am 
LOST Addict

Reggie wrote:
oldnavy wrote:

Mine was not covered by the TSB you are referencing - but it is covered by this one. A lot of us that have had the tranny shudder were not involved with the wrong tranny filter TSB. Could be that Chrysler had a manufacturing issue with the TC causing it to fail and the resulting particles trashed the rest of the system. Either way I hope I can get my rig fixed finally.
They also had some that were shipped with improper fluid fill, low by about 3 qts, but you could be right about the bad TC being installed in some trannys.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, i FINALLY got my CRD back this afternoon. Ran fine until getting off the highway after picking my wife up. All of a sudden, it decided not to shift past 2nd gear unless revved way past where it should normally shift. So we limped home, and will be seeing the service guys again as soon as they open up in the morning. Needless to say, neither of us is going to be pleased about the fact that it took a whole 3 hours before our transmission learned a new way to be a PITA!!! :x Also, i crawled underneath the Jeep as soon as i got it home, i think they are blowing smoke about replacing my cooler. Either that, or it is tucked up above the engine skid where i cant see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Hey oz crd,

Did your dealer loosen up and talk any about this problem or what aproach DC was taking to keep their losses under control? I could see this getting very expensive for DC if most of these tranies crash. One would think DC would call these in for service if they could prevent replacing this pricey unit. My SM stumbled for words when he came across TSB 21-009-06 while looking for TSB 18-009-06. Mine is still in the shop (5 days) over TSB 18-009-06, claim they are replacing the TCM.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:32 am 
LOST Newbie

At this point, anything the desk jockey at my service department has told me is questionable at best. He actually had the nerve to tell me my cooler lines had been replaced and put it on the paperwork, but funny thing, these "new" lines already have mud on them, and it hasnt rained here in a month. I am going in when they open at 8, and telling him to cut the crap. He is not dealing with an uninformed customer who doesnt double check what has or hasnt actually been done to my vehicle. I started taking him with a big grain of salt the third day he "guaranteed" that my vehicle would be done. Dont give me B.S. guarantees, give me results!
They originally had said a new transmission was on order, i am going to ask they just put that in, and if D.C. wants to 'experiment' with the old one, feel free to do it in their own test vehicle. I am paying to much for this thing to also be a volunteer test driver!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:47 am 
LOST Addict

oz_crd wrote:
At this point, anything the desk jockey at my service department has told me is questionable at best. He actually had the nerve to tell me my cooler lines had been replaced and put it on the paperwork, but funny thing, these "new" lines already have mud on them, and it hasnt rained here in a month. I am going in when they open at 8, and telling him to cut the crap. He is not dealing with an uninformed customer who doesnt double check what has or hasnt actually been done to my vehicle. I started taking him with a big grain of salt the third day he "guaranteed" that my vehicle would be done. Dont give me B.S. guarantees, give me results!
They originally had said a new transmission was on order, i am going to ask they just put that in, and if D.C. wants to 'experiment' with the old one, feel free to do it in their own test vehicle. I am paying to much for this thing to also be a volunteer test driver!
Sounds like you need to find a different dealer. Surely in the KC area that can be done, might try a more country type of dealer selling lots of diesel trucks and Jeeps. Maybe you would have better service.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:29 am 
LOST Addict

oz_crd wrote:

The funny thing is I had to play the same game working for a previous employer. We actually used the term "mushroom treatment" for this, that where you keep your customer in dark and feed them BS. Without naming the company, they are also considered an industry leader and also have an attitude they can do no wrong. They had a new product launch while I was there that was a disaster. Had well over 100 TSB's in the first 3 months (they will NEVER use the term recall, ever). Soo, I have little mercy or paitence for this crap.

On your repairs, I can see the dealer cleaning everything out (cooler, lines & trans housing) and installing new internal parts, especially if it would be a long wait for a replacement unit. As long as this was cleaned thoroughly (PITA) and repaired properly, it should be OK. If they took this route, I would look to get a list of any repair parts installed, maybe press them for an extra fluid & filter change in short order, and press them for some warranty extension.

Just wait till the first CRD motor comes apart, I can almost guarantee DC will drop-in new liner kits & bearings and call it done. In the commercial heavy vehicle market this would be considered common but in the retail car market one would expect a new crate motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:53 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Just wait till the first CRD motor comes apart, I can almost guarantee DC will drop-in new liner kits & bearings and call it done. In the commercial heavy vehicle market this would be considered common but in the retail car market one would expect a new crate motor.
I bet they do a swap out, and send the repaired out for the retail rebuild side. Some yahoo will over chip and blow an engine, then get a rebuilt instead of a new one due to price and no warranty.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:44 am 
LOST Newbie

I took the Jeep out this morning and drove it until the trans warmed up, at that point it started doing the "won't shift into 4th" thing again. I called up my service guy and told him I was coming in again, he called Enterprise to have them ready another rental for me. I found that if i revved it up to 3200+ rpm, it would kick into 4th, but the downshift from 4-3 felt like someone was hitting the brake as it happened. I did manage to verify that they hadnt replaced the cooler lines, even though it is on the paperwork. I am not sure if the desk guy is intentionally bs'ing me, or just doesnt know what is actually going on in the shop.
Here is the real kicker; when the tech hooked up the scanner, the trans temp read 300F! He just kinda blinked, and said this cant be right. I showed him the burn mark on my finger from where i accidentally touched the trans housing last night, and said i would believe it. From what he was told in school, those temps are when things can REALLY start to go bad. Maybe i will finally get the new trans, and not more bandaid parts from D.C.
To top it all off, we saw diesel at 10 cents cheaper than regular over in Blue Springs, MO today, but were driving a rental gasser. Dang!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:34 am 
LOST Addict

oz_crd wrote:

Here is the real kicker; when the tech hooked up the scanner, the trans temp read 300F! He just kinda blinked, and said this cant be right. I showed him the burn mark on my finger from where i accidentally touched the trans housing last night, and said i would believe it. From what he was told in school, those temps are when things can REALLY start to go bad. Maybe i will finally get the new trans, and not more bandaid parts from D.C.
To top it all off, we saw diesel at 10 cents cheaper than regular over in Blue Springs, MO today, but were driving a rental gasser. Dang!

Amazing what you can find when you can get past the gatekeeper. If your tech got into this issue at school, obviously DC knows about the problem.
One of the problem I've experienced with newer Allison tranmissions in OTR buses is excess heat cooking the oil. The in thing about 10 yrs ago was integrated retarders (hydraulic brake) in lue of a noisy Jake brake. I got sucked into that deal once, would never do it again. Went as far as having DDA reprogram the engine & trans software to aggressively downshift if the retarder was applied. That device would spike the trans temp into the 300 + range within about 15 seconds, release the brake and the heat surge through the liquid heat exchanger would trip the hot engine shutdown. :shock: Lucky to get 6 mos out of the oil before it was cooked, trashing the trans wasn't far behind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:03 am 
LOST Newbie

RFCRD wrote:
On your repairs, I can see the dealer cleaning everything out (cooler, lines & trans housing) and installing new internal parts, especially if it would be a long wait for a replacement unit. As long as this was cleaned thoroughly (PITA) and repaired properly, it should be OK. If they took this route, I would look to get a list of any repair parts installed, maybe press them for an extra fluid & filter change in short order, and press them for some warranty extension.

Is that possible to get them to extend the warranty for things like this? I had actually thought of that, transmission shops give you a warranty on their work, but since there is another 55k+ miles on my warranty, you would think it in their best interest to fix it right this time. As for oldnavy's suggestion, i have really thought about going to a different dealer, but this one is less than a mile from my work, 2 miles from home. So i figure a: why should i have to go way out of my way, and b:why should i let them off the hook? they made the money from the sale, they should pony up the service when needed. We will see what happens when they talk to STAR today, maybe they will finally let the technician replace the whole trans like he wanted to do in the first place.