It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Problems starting CRD in cold weather below 10 degrees F
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LMWatBullRun wrote:
If my cord shows its age, then I will replace it with a better cord, not whine about it to the Feds.

it is not reasonable to expect wiring to last forever. Admittedly, one would expect such wiring to last longer than 8 years, but it's out of warranty. Contractually, Jeep has no obligation for this, which means that it is ours.

Thanks LMW, I appreciate American minded people. It is the people that think the government could help us that put us in this mess with a tyrant calling the shots! :furious:

Fend for your selves pussies! :rockon:

OK, back to the topic, I plugged in my wife's last night with a low of 1 degrees and sucky Etecnos and it started like it was summer this morning.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Same problem here in the NW with the cold snap and 5v glow plugs. Plug in the engine heater for an hour and starts fine. Chrysler really mess up something so simple as now I think these glow plugs will last forever for they don't get hot enough.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:20 am 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
I was thinking about that for my CRD, or one of those auto-kickout power ports that ambulances and fire trucks have.

That wouldn't solve the problem of the insulation drying out and failing. If the cord is in just the wrong place, theoretically the body of the car could become energized.

Those quick disconnects are neat, but quite expensive, from what I remember are around 300 and quite big, I can't find a good location for it on the jeep, plus a flat surface wide enough for that outlet. But its a nice to have regardless.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:56 am 
LOST Newbie

With the ceramics no longer available, and the steel GP's admittedly not that great, has anyone considered borrowing the grid heater from a ram?

http://colorado4wheel.com/images/misc/noobguide.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:05 am 
LOST Junkie

I use Etecno 7v too and a AC controller , I add a power service diesel fuel supplement

http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/

and here with like -15 celsius i have no problem , when the temperature go down like this or more I use a 16 ounces bottle for empty fuel and cycling 2-3 time the GP ........my baby sleep outside and crank fine ,under twenty double the dose, it is recommended

I hope it can help

bye

ps if you have problems, disconnect the water temperature sensor on the thermostat valve for have the maximum time of GP

crank and after a little warm up , shot down and re plug the sensor

https://www.facebook.com/YetiChiptuning

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:16 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Update:

I tried the multiple key cycle on technique and it made a world or difference.

Turning the Key on and off very quickly 5 to 6 times before fully engaging the starter, makes the jeep start smoother.

Incredible.

It's an easy trick.

ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, all within a time span of 5 seconds.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:12 pm 
LOST Addict

racertracer wrote:
Update:

Turning the Key on and off very quickly 5 to 6 times before fully engaging the starter, makes the jeep start smoother.

Incredible.

It's an easy trick.

ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, ON/OFF, all within a time span of 5 seconds.

That is interesting that what you do will work better then leaving the key on for 30 seconds. I have to try that the next cold snap here.

K&N, Samco Hoses, Michelin 245/70-16 LTX A/T2, Fumoto F-102, V-Force Muffler, Mopar, Hitch, Trailer Wiring, Skid Plates, Slush Mats, Rear Shelf, Predator Stage 1, Transgo, ORM & CodeReader, Facet 40109 Pump
"IT'S A DIESEL THING, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND"
Certified Services Auto & Truck Repair

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

racertracer wrote:

Incredible.

Great!! Nice to know it isn't just wishful thinking on my part.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:19 pm 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
Update:

Incredible.

It's an easy trick.

Just came in from trying this. My jeep was not plugged in all night, single-digit lows… And this trick did absolutely nothing for me. Started just as hard as it has been. I finally got it started, let it run for a minute, then shut it down. I plugged in the block heater so if I have to go anywhere later, it will reliably start. What a pain in the neck.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

Agreed.... the turn key thing dose nothing.

K&N Air Filter, 2nd gen Fuel filter head
NEW Rockers & lifters
Mobil 1 0w-40
Stant 13519 195 deg inline Thermostat.
0 281 002 845 MAP
Etecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs
Advance Gold 800CCA Battery
Traded it for a Quality VW TDI

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You mean to tell me it was a placebo affect?

I am not smoking anything.

It might be that I am starting the vehicle in warmer weather 24 degrees .... maybe that might have something to do with it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:21 am 
LOST Junkie

the ON-OFF trick work , but if you have problem too , try to unplug the water temperature sensor , jeep start like a bomb .
unplug the sensor do read at the ECM or ECU , the minimum temp programmed , about -40 and the ECU do go the GP for the maximum time possible

and add some fuel antifreeze.....veeeeeeeeery important

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what it's worth if the unplug/replug the temp sensor works, I have no opinion, to produce better starts in cold weather by tricking the ECU into maxing the glow plug temp then it seems to me that it would be extremely simple to add a switch so the sensor could be turned on/off from the cabin. Just a thought.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 am 
LOST Junkie

It's been very cold in MN lately, so I have had lots of chances to try different methodologies. Consistently below zero (it's -8F right now). I have the 5V Steel plugs. I have tried cycling the key for various durations but I honestly have the best results when I start cranking immediately after the glow plug light on the dash goes out. If it doesn't fire after 5 seconds of cranking, I turn the key to off, wait 3 seconds and repeat.

I found that replacing my battery with a 65-Series Sears P2 AGM battery (rated at 950 CCA) made a big difference in my winter starts compared to last year. With the Red Top I was lucky to get 2-3 weak attempts. The glow plug system needs a strong, healthy battery. The higher CCA rating, the better.

papaindigo wrote:
For what it's worth if the unplug/replug the temp sensor works, I have no opinion, to produce better starts in cold weather by tricking the ECU into maxing the glow plug temp then it seems to me that it would be extremely simple to add a switch so the sensor could be turned on/off from the cabin. Just a thought.

I agree. Can anyone verify the ECU does actually behave this way when it does not receive a signal from the coolant temp sensor? Keith?

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:01 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yeti wrote:
the ON-OFF trick work , but if you have problem too , try to unplug the water temperature sensor , jeep start like a bomb .
unplug the sensor do read at the ECM or ECU , the minimum temp programmed , about -40 and the ECU do go the GP for the maximum time possible

I'll have to give this a try this evening when I get home. It's been below 10F since Saturday.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes the switch it's a good idea , but remember , switch off early you turn the key , crank , and after a little warm up , shot down the engine and wait 30 second or more for switch on the sensor ,time necessary for discharge the ECM , and crank again

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

weeks101 wrote:

I found that replacing my battery with a 65-Series Sears P2 AGM battery (rated at 950 CCA) made a big difference in my winter starts compared to last year. With the Red Top I was lucky to get 2-3 weak attempts. The glow plug system needs a strong, healthy battery. The higher CCA rating, the better.

it's true

weeks101 wrote:

Can anyone verify the ECU does actually behave this way when it does not receive a signal from the coolant temp sensor? Keith?

i have tested with DashCommand and ELM 327 , with the sensor unplug , the software read -38 on my kj

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 pm 
LOST Addict

I used ether on mine for four days in a row during the cold snap last week. I know it is not advised on an engine with glow plugs, but hey, we already know the Etecnos aren't getting very hot right? So I figured the danger would be lower. This engine will barely start at 10F, that's with a 2 year old Sears P1 battery. At -10F it's hopeless. A quick shot of ether into the front opening of the airbox does the trick (I mean as quick a shot as your frozen finger will do - maybe 1/4 of a second at most). Makes it start like it was 30F. Careful not to get too much of the starting fluid pooled in the airbox - after the engine fires it can run off the vapors from that fluid and overspeed. :dizzy:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

CATCRD wrote:
I used ether on mine for four days in a row during the cold snap last week. I know it is not advised on an engine with glow plugs, but hey, we already know the Etecnos aren't getting very hot right? So I figured the danger would be lower. This engine will barely start at 10F, that's with a 2 year old Sears P1 battery. At -10F it's hopeless. A quick shot of ether into the front opening of the airbox does the trick (I mean as quick a shot as your frozen finger will do - maybe 1/4 of a second at most). Makes it start like it was 30F. Careful not to get too much of the starting fluid pooled in the airbox - after the engine fires it can run off the vapors from that fluid and overspeed. :dizzy:

Do not use ether, aka starting fluid, or any other liquid in the intake. Regardless of how much or how little is used, you can very easily break piston rings and/or bend connecting rods. It is not advised.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, you're welcome to do what you want with your jeep. All I can do is post my experience with it. Done it, worked, I'd do it again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next