It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: #3 Fuse, Cigar Lighter, Parasitic Drain
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Fellers..

I've had one helluva time with this parasitic voltage drain for the last 2 1/2 years..and I found it!!

Now I noticed that the cigar lighter had constant power, not switched power, but I figured it wouldn't draw down the battery if it wasn't in use. Wrong! I just replaced the battery for the second time, and it looks like it's been replaced multiple times before I had it, so I thought it was high time to sort this out. It's always drained if it wasn't run for a few days, and in the cold weather of late...I've had her on the block heater and the 2A trickle charge, in the garage, every night. So with my CJ getting the same treatment (It runs on the old sd33t Nissan engine from a Scout, with really slow glow plugs, and I don't drive far enough to really charge her (8 miles to work)), that was 4 cables on the floor in the garage.

So I followed the thread here describing how to test her with a voltage meter, and used a good youtube video, which said that 50 ma is the max draw at sleep mode (after the computer goes to sleep, seems to take 15 minutes) and I had 300 ma, then 150..which is still 3 times the max. I read over on Edmunds about the cigar lighter, and whammo! With the #3 fuse out, I start with 150 ma draw, and drop to 0 after 15 minutes. Woo hoo!

So #3 cigar lighter, 20a, is disconnected for now. I'm fixing to sell this one, I've purchased a 2008 WJ CRD, so I want to get this fixed. Does anyone have the wiring schematic for this circuit? Perhaps I should just ask - has anyone come across this, am I correct in assuming that this lighter is my problem, wtf was it wired this way?? I'm afraid if I just jump the lighter to another circuit that I'd just be kicking the problem down the road to the next owner. I guess I'll need to determine how to make this a switched circuit, perhaps re wiring before the fusebox, which seems risky.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by JLCBikes on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: #3 Fuse, Cigar Lighter, Parasitic Drain
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:11 am 

If you could find and get to the wire leaving the fuse panel going to the lighter, you could cut it and install a power relay in between the two wires similar to a fog light relay that would only provide power when the ignition switch was either in the on or accessory positions. You would have to find a switched power circuit to control the relay. :)
Been thinking about doing this to my 05 CRD so I would not have to switch the satellite receiver on and off every time I use the vehicle. :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:51 am 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel:

Am I correct in assuming that your CRD has the same condition with unswitched power to your cigar lighter? This isn't a problem for you? I lucked out, the $115 walmart battery, a MAXX 34N, had a 3 yr replacement warranty, of which I'd used 15 months, so I didn't loose money, just the aggravation. I've heard that Walmart isn't known for quality auto parts..but man I've got 5 diesels, a boat, 2 houses, 5 dogs, 1 job....

And I think I'll try this relay you've suggested. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:04 pm 

JLCBikes wrote:
WWDiesel:

Am I correct in assuming that your CRD has the same condition with unswitched power to your cigar lighter?

And I think I'll try this relay you've suggested. Thanks for the advice.

Yes, you are correct, my power plugin is un-switched and I despise it. :furious: Have to turn my satellite radio receiver on and off every time I get in the Jeep! :banghead:
It has not caused any battery drainage that I am aware of though unless I forget to turn the satellite receiver off! :roll:
Both of my Dodge pickup trucks and my Dodge Durango plugs are switched with the key thank goodness. :BANANA:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:46 am 
LOST Addict

JLCBikes wrote:
Fellers..

I've had one helluva time with this parasitic voltage drain for the last 2 1/2 years..and I found it!!

Now I noticed that the cigar lighter had constant power, not switched power, but I figured it wouldn't draw down the battery if it wasn't in use. Wrong! I just replaced the battery for the second time, and it looks like it's been replaced multiple times before I had it, so I thought it was high time to sort this out. It's always drained if it wasn't run for a few days, and in the cold weather of late...I've had her on the block heater and the 2A trickle charge, in the garage, every night. So with my CJ getting the same treatment (It runs on the old sd33t Nissan engine from a Scout, with really slow glow plugs, and I don't drive far enough to really charge her (8 miles to work)), that was 4 cables on the floor in the garage.

So I followed the thread here describing how to test her with a voltage meter, and used a good youtube video, which said that 50 ma is the max draw at sleep mode (after the computer goes to sleep, seems to take 15 minutes) and I had 300 ma, then 150..which is still 3 times the max. I read over on Edmunds about the cigar lighter, and whammo! With the #3 fuse out, I start with 150 ma draw, and drop to 0 after 15 minutes. Woo hoo!

So #3 cigar lighter, 20a, is disconnected for now. I'm fixing to sell this one, I've purchased a 2008 WJ CRD, so I want to get this fixed. Does anyone have the wiring schematic for this circuit? Perhaps I should just ask - has anyone come across this, am I correct in assuming that this lighter is my problem, wtf was it wired this way?? I'm afraid if I just jump the lighter to another circuit that I'd just be kicking the problem down the road to the next owner. I guess I'll need to determine how to make this a switched circuit, perhaps re wiring before the fusebox, which seems risky.

Thanks

Is this the rear or the front lighter you are having troubles with?

Do you have the trailer tow package with the 7 pin trailer wiring? If so, the "supplemental" wiring harness that suppiles 12V to the 7 pin harness at the hitch is connnected in-line to the front 12V plug, which is always on in our(US CRD owners) case. If you read the installation guide for the supplemental trailer wiring harness, you will see that the harness was originally designed for older Liberty's which had the cigarette lighter AND a 12v power plug on the dash. The harness uses the power from the cigarette lighter to activate a relay in the trunk area that powers the trailer lights and 12v pin. The cigarette lighter on the older Liberty'swas unpowered when the car was off. This means the trailer wiring was originally intended to be unpowered with the ignition off. With the newer jeeps that only have the always-on power plug in the dash, the trailer wiring is always powered since that 12 plug never turns off. I wonder if the trailer wiring and associated relay put a constant drain on the battery since they never turn off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:15 pm 
LOST Junkie

THIS

mass-hole wrote:
JLCBikes wrote:
Fellers..

Thanks

Do you have the trailer tow package with the 7 pin trailer wiring? If so, the "supplemental" wiring harness that suppiles 12V to the 7 pin harness at the hitch is connnected in-line to the front 12V plug, which is always on in our(US CRD owners) case. If you read the installation guide for the supplemental trailer wiring harness, you will see that the harness was originally designed for older Liberty's which had the cigarette lighter AND a 12v power plug on the dash. The harness uses the power from the cigarette lighter to activate a relay in the trunk area that powers the trailer lights and 12v pin. The cigarette lighter on the older Liberty'swas unpowered when the car was off. This means the trailer wiring was originally intended to be unpowered with the ignition off. With the newer jeeps that only have the always-on power plug in the dash, the trailer wiring is always powered since that 12 plug never turns off. I wonder if the trailer wiring and associated relay put a constant drain on the battery since they never turn off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:53 pm 
LOST Addict

cerich wrote:
THIS

mass-hole wrote:
JLCBikes wrote:
Fellers..

Thanks

See Here: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82207620.pdf

Steps 21/22/23 are what I am talking about. You can see that there are two 12V outlets shown on the center console, one being the cigarette lighter and the other the 12V power plug. Also notice that the outlets are on the left side of the console, not the right like the 05-06. The instructions show the harness being plugged in line with the cigarette lighter which is gone in in our model years.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Quote:

Steps 21/22/23 are what I am talking about. You can see that there are two 12V outlets shown on the center console, one being the cigarette lighter and the other the 12V power plug. Also notice that the outlets are on the left side of the console, not the right like the 05-06. The instructions show the harness being plugged in line with the cigarette lighter which is gone in in our model years.

I recently purchased a 2005 and defiantly have the battery drain. It is a diesel and has the tow package/ 7pin plug. What wires were bypassed in order to prevent the battery drain? I have read the previous posts but I seem to be missing that detail.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:33 pm 
LOST Addict

ACLakey wrote:
Quote:

I recently purchased a 2005 and defiantly have the battery drain. It is a diesel and has the tow package/ 7pin plug. What wires were bypassed in order to prevent the battery drain? I have read the previous posts but I seem to be missing that detail.

I am not exactly sure how the factory wiring is installed, I added my 7 pin harness after I bought my jeep so it may be different. If it is the same as the harness I added then you could start by pulling the bezel around the radio/AC controls and check the plug that plugs into the 12V outlet. If there is a inline connector between the power supply lines and the outlet, like in the link above, then you could remove it and just plug the regular connector directly into the outlet.

See if that helps with your power drain issues.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole, i don't understand your suggestion. i have a 2005 with the unswitched power port in front. i'm trying to figure out where to tie in the trailer power instead. can you explain how "just plug the regular connector directly into the outlet" would help if that is an unswitched power source?

i've searched and searched but can only find confirmation of the problem (the pre-2005 source for trailer power was the switched cigarette lighter, which is only an unswitched power port in 2005-2006 and results in a battery drain). i can't find anything that talks about the solution: what switched power source should we use for wiring the trailer power?

thanks!!
julie

p.s. or is the only solution to install our own relay so the power source is switched?

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited - with Fumoto oil drain valve! :-) AND Rock Lizard Rack, Weeks Kit, ARP studs, Model 001 thermostat, Hayden fan clutch, and brand new TB, water pump, plugs, and rockers (thanks Georgi!)
2003 VW Jetta TDI
2000 Ford Excursion XLT (diesel)
2007 Wells Cargo TW101-V (custom camping trailer)