It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Webasto heater install
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

TDF , i did lots of webasto installations on big trucks back in those days as 310T tech , and we always drill into fuel tank to install fuel pick up tube that was supplied with the kit , but i never install one in CRD so all my nonsense is to avoid drilling into fuel tank, that said one day someone will find best solution how to plumb fuel supply to webasto in jeep CRD application . like you said experiment is welcome so as my idea using W.W fluid reservoir as webasto dedicated fuel tank LOL , i guess will get it done before winter , cheers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:16 am 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
TDF , i did lots of webasto installations on big trucks back in those days as 310T tech , and we always drill into fuel tank to install fuel pick up tube that was supplied with the kit , but i never install one in CRD so all my nonsense is to avoid drilling into fuel tank, that said one day someone will find best solution how to plumb fuel supply to webasto in jeep CRD application . like you said experiment is welcome so as my idea using W.W fluid reservoir as webasto dedicated fuel tank LOL , i guess will get it done before winter , cheers

Well, you may have a legitimate concern here rankom. Correct me if I am wrong, but the whole reason for the lift pump upgrade on Liberty CRDs is that air was getting into the fuel lines due to a lack of pressure; therefore causing running problems and overheat conditions in the fuel filter head.

Any modification to those fuel lines will increase the chance of that air getting in. I think that anyone wanting to install a Webasto heater and tap off of the unpressurized fuel line must be careful to avoid getting air in the lines, and to purge the lines of air after installation. I would also check with Webasto head office in North America and ask technical services if there is any way for air to be introduced into the fuel line through the Webasto heater itself.

Do you have a Webasto heater for your CRD yet?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

all right finally i went to see webasto guys so this is what they do . they tried all the short cuts (NO GOOD) so they have been dropping fuel tanks and drilling through sending unit and installing small bushing with small compression fitting to insert metal pick up tube (NOT DRILLING INTO FUEL TANK) 2nd choice what they've done on SPRINTER VANS installing small fuel tank into door pocket , because customers do not want to pay extra labor TO RE <RE fuel tank . and lastly if you tap into vehicle fuel system you are on your own NO WARRANTY , hope this is helpful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:18 am 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
all right finally i went to see webasto guys so this is what they do . they tried all the short cuts (NO GOOD) so they have been dropping fuel tanks and drilling through sending unit and installing small bushing with small compression fitting to insert metal pick up tube (NOT DRILLING INTO FUEL TANK) 2nd choice what they've done on SPRINTER VANS installing small fuel tank into door pocket , because customers do not want to pay extra labor TO RE <RE fuel tank . and lastly if you tap into vehicle fuel system you are on your own NO WARRANTY , hope this is helpful.

It is most definitely helpful.... but just a few questions to clarify things, rankom.

1) Are the guys you spoke with actually Webasto employees, or are they people who have been certified at a Webasto Dealer to do installations?

2) What exactly do you mean by drilling a hole through the "sending unit"? This does not make sense to me... do you mean the access panel at the top of every fuel tank where the fuel level sending unit and the lift pump go through during installation?

One thing to consider... installing a second small fuel tank to feed any engine coolant heater may actually violate Federal vehicle safety codes. The tank would at least have to be certified to carry diesel fuel on a passenger vehicle... using a windshield washer fluid reservoir, for example, would be a big no-no.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes this was authorized dealer for webasto , they pull metal ring and green o ring to remove sending unit_ fuel pump module, so they drill through plastic next to wire harness plug (TOP OF FUEL SENDING UNIT or FUEL PUMP MODULE ) whatever is there. i agree, doesn't make sense but you know we all like this unique jeep so nonsense is normal for this unit , so lets say we need to drop fuel tank again ,,, o well buy some beer and the weekend might go easier ,,,

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:52 pm 
LOST Member

I found this PDF this morning http://doc.webasto-russia.ru/Car/Chrysl ... Lancia.pdf

I plan to install my webasto heater whitin the next 2 weeks. will probably drill the tank.
I'm not exactly sure of the coolant routing yet and I will have the unit on the right side where the air filter housing is .

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:22 pm 
LOST Junkie

good i was looking into about possibility removing air box to install webasto but that requires installing KN air filter. but it is a very good location. as for coolant hoses (i remember on big trucks install) we hooked up in water pump elbow (lowest point of engine block) and return hose back of cylinder head , back to webasto . as for drilling fuel tank , not my choice but ok if no other options. also i got little tired upgrading my CRD so she is in the GARAGE show car , so one day hope ill get to the end of this upgrade list.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:36 pm 
LOST Junkie

rankom wrote:
good i was looking into about possibility removing air box to install webasto but that requires installing KN air filter. but it is a very good location. as for coolant hoses (i remember on big trucks install) we hooked up in water pump elbow (lowest point of engine block) and return hose back of cylinder head , back to webasto . as for drilling fuel tank , not my choice but ok if no other options. also i got little tired upgrading my CRD so she is in the GARAGE show car , so one day hope ill get to the end of this upgrade list.

It's a Just Empty Every Pocket. There is no end in sight. LOL

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:50 am 
LOST Addict

I didn't find dropping the fuel tank all that hard. Wiring in the new wiring harness and pulling up the interior took far longer than dropping the tank and installing the lift pump.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:43 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Webasto mounted on a bracket on the right side of the engine bay , it will required just a couple short hose as the unit is close to the thermostat !

now I'm not sure where to route the coolant to the engine .

What is the best way to plumb the webasto unit to the engine ?

thanks

Seb

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

http://www.idparts.com/heater-core-cool ... -2854.html i woud remove that small hose from Y conector top of T stat area , that other end goes top of bottom rad hose elbow . that is going in,, and return to webasto goes into Y plastic connector . that would circulate coolant over to EGR side left side of cylinder head . bare in mind I'm just guessing because i didn't try this yet good luck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:07 pm 
LOST Member

I have the Airtex lift pump ordered, I will drop the tank tomorrow to install the the webasto fuel line as well as the lift pump. I will add wires to the actual harness like in the tutorial " Airtex E7181M In-tank Lift Pump
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD " not sure who actually made it but a big thanks.( will edit as soon as I know )
I am still not sure how to plumb the coolant line on the webasto , any help will be appreciated.

Seb

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:16 pm 
LOST Junkie

PZKW108 wrote:
I have the Airtex lift pump ordered, I will drop the tank tomorrow to install the the webasto fuel line as well as the lift pump. I will add wires to the actual harness like in the tutorial " Airtex E7181M In-tank Lift Pump
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD " not sure who actually made it but a big thanks.( will edit as soon as I know )
I am still not sure how to plumb the coolant line on the webasto , any help will be appreciated.

Seb

Need Seth to make a kit for installing the Webasto.

I was told the Airtex was not the best choice for a lift pump - After I bought mine and had it installed. I think a Chrysler OEM part was recommended

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:34 pm 
LOST Junkie

jrsavoie wrote:

Our Webasto unit arrives later this week! We could put a kit together if there is interest.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:00 pm 
LOST Junkie

weeks101 wrote:
jrsavoie wrote:

Our Webasto unit arrives later this week! We could put a kit together if there is interest.

Might want to check Steve's installation. He did a bang up job. I would be interested in a kit

98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:39 pm 
LOST Junkie

i don't know why you are having problems with coolant lines, read my post again . coolant hose from the top of the webasto unit (outlet) goes into elbow at bottom rad hose. and coolant returns via metal pipe from egr cooler over top of engine to Y plastic connector and you need to hook up that to webasto circulation pump . but before you do that you need to remove oem hose and make up two new ones to go to the webasto unit.

Last edited by rankom on Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:40 pm 
LOST Member

jrsavoie wrote:
PZKW108 wrote:

Seb

I was told the Airtex was not the best choice for a lift pump - After I bought mine and had it installed. I think a Chrysler OEM part was recommended

Do you know what's wrong with the airtex ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:56 am 
LOST Member

rankom wrote:
i don't know why you are having problems with coolant lines, read my post again . coolant hose from the top of the webasto unit (outlet) goes into elbow at bottom rad hose. and coolant returns via metal pipe from egr cooler over top of engine to Y plastic connector and you need to hook up that to webasto circulation pump . but before you do that you need to remove oem hose and make up two new ones to go to the webasto unit.

I'm not having problems with coolant lines, I just make sure I'm know what I'm doing.....

I did it accordingly to the Cherokee crd webasto install PDF , slightly different than your explanation but might end up being the same result , a check valve is also needed !

thanks

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

PZKW108 wrote:
rankom wrote:

I'm not having problems with coolant lines, I just make sure I'm know what I'm doing.....

I did it accordingly to the Cherokee crd webasto install PDF , slightly different than your explanation but might end up being the same result , a check valve is also needed !

thanks

oh no problem not a doubt that is going to work , but also i have webasto install instructions for truck engines such like cummins , cat , detroit etc , same as i described in earlier post , does not require check valve , because you not changing direction of coolant flow , when webasto is not operating coolant will flow through it just like it did before install . and does not affect webasto circulating pump, its electromagnetic flow thru pump . also in truck application kit they don't supply one way check valve, but you need one because your plumbing goes to heater core hoses that why they what you to install one way check valve.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:06 pm 
LOST Member

Do you know if I can run the webasto when the engine is running ?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next