It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Webasto heater install
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:32 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Rankom, a system with a blower is a forced-air system, which is different than what I'm thinking of. For a radiant floor heat, water is circulated through tubes / pipes that are under the floor surface and there isn't any kind of forced air needed. The hot water in the pipes warms the floor, which warms the entire room through convection. I could use the existing water heater tank and a circulating pump to do this, or have the Webasto heating the water... Either way I wouldn't need the water to be much hotter than 120F or so. What is that, about 35-40C?

It would be a bit of an experiment with the energy use versus the run time of the heater, but if the Webasto system can operate independently and maintain a temperature, then perhaps the thermostat can be wired to directly control the fire for temperature in the room or just a lower water temp.

I need to investigate this more, it may just end up being easier to rig the system using my existing tiny water heater and a circulating pump, and set the water thermostat to an acceptable level. The trick with water heating is that it is a much slower process to change the temperature in the room, which is why the system is so energy efficient. A 1500 watt water heater can heat an entire floor of a building. It is the building costs that are the difficulty, but I'm already redoing the floor in the RV anyway.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

good , DSL 17 WEBASTO IS NICE UNIT , 10 YEARS OLD and works good for me

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:59 pm 
LOST Addict

geordi wrote:
Rankom, a system with a blower is a forced-air system, which is different than what I'm thinking of. For a radiant floor heat, water is circulated through tubes / pipes that are under the floor surface and there isn't any kind of forced air needed. The hot water in the pipes warms the floor, which warms the entire room through convection. I could use the existing water heater tank and a circulating pump to do this, or have the Webasto heating the water... Either way I wouldn't need the water to be much hotter than 120F or so. What is that, about 35-40C?

It would be a bit of an experiment with the energy use versus the run time of the heater, but if the Webasto system can operate independently and maintain a temperature, then perhaps the thermostat can be wired to directly control the fire for temperature in the room or just a lower water temp.

I need to investigate this more, it may just end up being easier to rig the system using my existing tiny water heater and a circulating pump, and set the water thermostat to an acceptable level. The trick with water heating is that it is a much slower process to change the temperature in the room, which is why the system is so energy efficient. A 1500 watt water heater can heat an entire floor of a building. It is the building costs that are the difficulty, but I'm already redoing the floor in the RV anyway.

It should theoretically be an easier install in your R.V. because a Webasto TSL17 heats engine coolant. I would hook it up to the engine to primarily heat that up, but also have a separate circuit in your engine's cooling system with a liquid heat exchanger that transfers heat to yet another coolant circuit your in-floor heating. You would have to run extra power to run a pump to circulate the coolant in the in-floor heating system... perhaps an extra deep-cycle battery? The pump could be thermostatically controlled to turn on or off to provide the correct amount of heat in the floor. :2cents:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

So one question to anyone out there that may know. My original plan was to hook up the fuel source for the webasto just before our fuel filters to the fuel supply line. But I have an intake lift pump will. My question would this be a bad idea as the in tank lift pump would now be trying to shove fuel to the webasto. I am not looking forward to dropping the tank as the top connecters are plastic and easy to break. Or am I just stuck draining the tank dropping it and drilling my one inch hole for the new standpipe.

05 KJ Sport 176k, Inferno Red, ORM, EHM, Samcos, Weeks Stage 1&2
Added courtesy floor lights, Cooper AT3's, Airtex In Tank Lift Pump
Gen2 fuel head, TB done @ 103000, T-Stat @ 120000
OME Lift

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

i think it should be fine , webasto fuel supply pump is not the flow through, so i don't think your lift pump can force fuel through it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh that is surprisingly good news because I blew threw the webasto pump and well air came out so I can give it a shot.

OME Lift

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:55 pm 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
i think it should be fine , webasto fuel supply pump is not the flow through, so i don't think your lift pump can force fuel through it

Unfortunately, that is not the response I got from Webasto. To the best of my understanding you are NOT supposed to be connecting to a pressurized line.

I strongly suggest contacting them first before attempting an install.

Best regards,

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well from my research I have also read that too, I was just hoping maybe I wouldn't have to drop the tank. What are you suggestioning with your future kit? TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK.

OME Lift

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:28 am 
LOST Addict

car0430a wrote:
Well from my research I have also read that too, I was just hoping maybe I wouldn't have to drop the tank. What are you suggestioning with your future kit? TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK.

To be honest, I am not quite sure... I am not properly trained on Webasto heater installs. The fellow who started this thread is a pretty smart guy... I would consult with him regarding your particular install. :2cents:

The cold weather kit I am offering is directly aimed at Liberty CRD owners, because it includes a Hot Diesel Solutions Model 001 engine thermostat assembly. The Webasto TSL17s I have available to me have basic install kits for commercial diesel trucks, but I am certain they can easily be adapted for any diesel vehicle.

If you can get through to Webasto's technical line, I have found them to be rather helpful, even though they will implore you to take it to a authorized dealer for install. They will not warranty the unit otherwise.

WEBASTO THERMO & COMFORT NORTH AMERICA
TOLL-FREE: 1-800-860-7866
http://www.webasto.com

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

well then i think maybe a check valve or manual shut off valve can be install id rather go this way i wouldn't drill fuel tank (thought)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

or you can get used windshield washer fluid reservoir find a good location and use that as webasto fuel tank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:23 am 
LOST Junkie

rankom wrote:
or you can get used windshield washer fluid reservoir find a good location and use that as webasto fuel tank

It's hard to find anymore room under the hood. LOL and I just hate putting more stuff under the Jeep without a heavy duty guard.

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:09 pm 
LOST Junkie

well i was looking, and i think there is some space to install ww fluid reservoir ( webasto fuel supply tank ) in area left side of the fuel tank close to filler tube , it is possibly ok to installed it and have it close to fill up tube so you can fuel it up the same time , similar as blue tech vehicle with DEF fluid , what do you think ? i don't like drilling into fuel tank to get fuel for webasto , but it could be ok to

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:35 am 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
well i was looking, and i think there is some space to install ww fluid reservoir ( webasto fuel supply tank ) in area left side of the fuel tank close to filler tube , it is possibly ok to installed it and have it close to fill up tube so you can fuel it up the same time , similar as blue tech vehicle with DEF fluid , what do you think ? i don't like drilling into fuel tank to get fuel for webasto , but it could be ok to

I thought for a moment there that you would simply be moving the windshield washer fluid reservoir close to the fuel tank to allow more room for a Webasto up front under the hood. But I think I am reading the you want to use a ww washer fluid reservoir as a dedicated fuel tank for the Webasto; am I correct?

This is still an interesting idea, but I am not sure I understand why you would do that, as it will be easier to simply drop the fuel tank and use the access port on top of the tank to route your Webasto fuel supply line. This will also give you the opportunity to install a proper lift pump - the CRD never got one :shock: - for your engine's fuel system.

Please post photos if you decide to go ahead with this, rankom. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 pm 
LOST Junkie

TDF we did talk about this before , we can't do this as per;webasto ; because fuel is pressurized to 14psi , so to avoid drilling holes in fuel tank to install webasto pick up tube , i was getting ideas , so 1st one way check valve (normally open ) could be installed before fuel filter head if i can find this check valve ? so when engine starts 14psi would forced ball and check valve shut close so no pressure is going to webasto . 2nd choice , separate fuel tank , and 3d choice possibly drill into fuel filer neck tap in and bend webasto pick up tube 90 deg. anyway I'm not ready for this project yet but it is on my list . NOTE this does not apply for jeeps without lift pump they can tap into fuel line because its not pressurized .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:28 pm 
LOST Member

car0430a wrote:
So one question to anyone out there that may know. My original plan was to hook up the fuel source for the webasto just before our fuel filters to the fuel supply line. But I have an intake lift pump will. My question would this be a bad idea as the in tank lift pump would now be trying to shove fuel to the webasto. I am not looking forward to dropping the tank as the top connecters are plastic and easy to break. Or am I just stuck draining the tank dropping it and drilling my one inch hole for the new standpipe.

I am assuming this would not be an issue if you have an inline (not in-tank) lift pump installed as long as you install the feed for the Webasto *before* the lift pump (so it's not pressurized), right?

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

kidjedi wrote:
car0430a wrote:

I am assuming this would not be an issue if you have an inline (not in-tank) lift pump installed as long as you install the feed for the Webasto *before* the lift pump (so it's not pressurized), right?

If you already have a in-tank fuel lift pump, you really have no choice but to drop the fuel tank to install a separate standpipe. There is to be no pressure in the fuel line leading to the Webasto fuel pump.

It - should - be O.K. to tap off a non-pressurized existing fuel line to feed the Webasto heater. However, given the overwhelming consensus on LOSTJEEPS.com and other forums that a lift pump is necessary on Liberty CRDs, those CRD owners who do not have a lift pump can drop the fuel tank and perform both upgrades at the same time... This will save time, labour and solve potential fuel problems with the CRD at the same time as installing the Webasto heater.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:41 am 
LOST Member

TURBO-DIESEL-FREAK wrote:
If you already have a in-tank fuel lift pump, you really have no choice but to drop the fuel tank to install a separate standpipe. There is to be no pressure in the fuel line leading to the Webasto fuel pump.

It - should - be O.K. to tap off a non-pressurized existing fuel line to feed the Webasto heater. However, given the overwhelming consensus on LOSTJEEPS.com and other forums that a lift pump is necessary on Liberty CRDs, those CRD owners who do not have a lift pump can drop the fuel tank and perform both upgrades at the same time... This will save time, labour and solve potential fuel problems with the CRD at the same time as installing the Webasto heater.

To be clear, my question was in regard to placing the Webasto feed on a line before the in-line lift pump. I have an inexpensive little lift pump in my engine bay, and it would be easy to feed the Webasto from the line before where the lift pump is installed. My question is: do I need a separate line, or can I feed the Webasto with my main fuel line if my lift pump is after that feed (right before the fuel filter).

My goal is to avoid dropping the tank. I know everyone says "it's easy," but it's not that easy, not to mention the other problems that can arise when you drop the tank (knocking lines loose, creating problems that weren't already there, etc.) and are left without your daily driver while figuring out how to fix things. :shock:

05 CRD Limited (black), factory skids, Fumoto Valve, ARP Studs, Hayden HD fan clutch, EGR delete, Seyfert CRD Stage 2, 225/70R16, EGT gauge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:56 pm 
LOST Junkie

yes , if you read my previous posts about this, same as you i don't want to drill into fuel tank to install webasto fuel pick up tube , so you can tap into original fuel line with some brass t fitting EASY DONE , but is it going to get air in fuel again thru webasto? that is why i said , we need separate fuel tank for webasto small just like w.w fluid reservoir 1 gal , or you need to install manual shut off valve at brass fitting where you tap into fuel line . but problem is you need to open and close hood every time when you need to use webasto heater . sorry i didn't get to this project yet , but i was going to look into to find check valve to work as manual shut of valve,and for time bean I'm suggesting go ahead with your idea but install little on off fuel valve together with brass T fitting , good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 9:18 pm 
LOST Addict

rankom wrote:
yes , if you read my previous posts about this, same as you i don't want to drill into fuel tank to install webasto fuel pick up tube , so you can tap into original fuel line with some brass t fitting EASY DONE , but is it going to get air in fuel again thru webasto? that is why i said , we need separate fuel tank for webasto small just like w.w fluid reservoir 1 gal , or you need to install manual shut off valve at brass fitting where you tap into fuel line . but problem is you need to open and close hood every time when you need to use webasto heater . sorry i didn't get to this project yet , but i was going to look into to find check valve to work as manual shut of valve,and for time bean I'm suggesting go ahead with your idea but install little on off fuel valve together with brass T fitting , good luck

I suppose there is some room for experimentation, but I really think that you are making this more complicated than it needs to be, rankom. Why would you get air in the fuel line from the Webasto heater if kidjedi wants to tap into the main fuel line with a brass "T" fitting upstream the in-line pump he installed? I am genuinely curious here as I may be missing something. :|

Ultimately, if you want to know what you can or can not do/should or should not do during a Webasto coolant heater install, you should be speaking to the folks at Webasto... here is their website...

http://www.webasto.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next