It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Engine seemed to run on like 2 cylinders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:05 am 
LOST Member

Well mine was "running like crap and vibrating rocking and chugging" and all I did was pull of the road, turn off and restart the vehicle and ran fine. Never had the problem again in probably 20000 miles. Same with my brothers CRD sport. Whether it was the computer, fuel filter, cp3, tranny or whatever we both had identical issues. Papa may never know what caused his either.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am 
LOST Member

Yes, this seems to be a common CRD issue.
Symptoms are: Just out of the blue, feels like/runs on 2 cylinders, no acceleration/power, shakes like crazy at low RPMs, engine is very noisy, no CEL.
Mine did it today as a matter of fact, first time in about 3 years and ~50,000 miles.

You just need to pull off the road when safe, shut off the key for at least 30 to 60 seconds, then start it up.
Runs like normal again.......

Please remember: It is not "urgent" you pull off the road "immediately", just whenever it's safe to do so.
The engine will run fine, but with little power.

The first time you experience it, it's "scarey", but after that, you know what to do and go on.

FWIW, my '06 has done this 5 times in 138k miles, seems to happen in pairs with mine (within days of each other), then nothing for a long time.
So now I wait for the 2nd one..... .... .. 8)
For all we know, this may just be the CRD computers "Clear the Catalyst" warning or something silly like that. :roll:

Hope this helps for you not to worry about it :) .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what it is or is not worth it has not done it again and the coolant level has stayed stable. The latter certainly makes me happy.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Good to hear.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:49 pm 
LOST Member

I've run into this problem 3 or 4 times. It happens after a shutdown, and like the other person said, the cure is to shut off the engine for a minute or so and restart. The cause is the computer system. Apparently, it is a jury rigged system that has to reset itself periodically, (the reason why a scan gage will not work with the libby) and if this reset gets fouled up, the vehicle goes into the limp home mode after a shutdown. It scares the heck out of you, but seems to be harmless. One person who tried a scan gage wrote it up--apparently there is a separate computer for the CRD engine which periodically communicates with the regular engine computer. It is in violation of SAE protocols for computers, but it offered Chrysler a cheap fix for the CRD computer integration.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm generally aware of the "issues" with the various computers/electronic modules on the CRD not talking to each other very well. I suspect your explanation is as good as any. If what I experienced was limp mode it certainly gets your attention and like I said getting into a parking lot, shutting down for a couple of minutes, and restarting made the problem go away.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:44 pm 
LOST Member

CHessMaster wrote:
Yes, this seems to be a common CRD issue.
Symptoms are: Just out of the blue, feels like/runs on 2 cylinders, no acceleration/power, shakes like crazy at low RPMs, engine is very noisy, no CEL.
Mine did it today as a matter of fact, first time in about 3 years and ~50,000 miles.

You just need to pull off the road when safe, shut off the key for at least 30 to 60 seconds, then start it up.
Runs like normal again.......

Please remember: It is not "urgent" you pull off the road "immediately", just whenever it's safe to do so.
The engine will run fine, but with little power.

The first time you experience it, it's "scarey", but after that, you know what to do and go on.

FWIW, my '06 has done this 5 times in 138k miles, seems to happen in pairs with mine (within days of each other), then nothing for a long time.
So now I wait for the 2nd one..... .... .. 8)
For all we know, this may just be the CRD computers "Clear the Catalyst" warning or something silly like that. :roll:

Hope this helps for you not to worry about it :) .

Interesting. Mine did same. I pumped up the fuel filter plunger a little suspecting air in lines. It maybe has a little. I tell people in 50k miles it has done this less than 5 times. Did exactly as you say here. Restarted no issues since. Last time I did this was 15k or more miles ago. Lots of long highway miles on her.