It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to my Libby but not to diesels. Need a little help.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:57 am 
LOST Member

I’m getting ready to my timing belt and want everyone’s input. After spending months reading I have a few questions. Here is what I plan to do. If there is something I’m missing let me know.
1 Timing belt, idlers, & tensioner
2 Water Pump
3 T-stat
4 Fan Clutch
5 Hoses: Looking for all hoses that have coolant running though them
Upper & Lower radiator
EGR
Heater Core Coolant Hoses
Bypass
6 Serpentine idler pulley & belt
7 Check glow plugs and replace if ceramic

If funds hold up I want to do these things:

1 Intercooler hoses
2 Turbocharger Inlet Hose
3 GDE Tune

My thinking is try and do stuff by importance and how hard it would be to come back later and do. Like if money is getting low I would do the glow plugs and blow of the Serpentine idler pulley & belt.

I have read where Crown replacement parts aren’t the best (water pumps, hoses not fitting properly, etc.), IDparts is a good source for parts. What about OMIX-ADA made parts?

Question about the glow plug system. I have 7v but don’t know which ones. I’m going with ceramic because this was a lease and I’m the second owner. I have the Bosch 0-281-003-034 glow plug controller. Will this work with the 7v metal glow plugs? I plan on buying a new one anyway along with the ASR relay I just don’t want to get the wrong one.

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

Post subject: Re: New to my Libby but not to diesels. Need a little help.
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How many miles on the rig?

Comments:
1. if at/near 100k miles or over 6-8 years - yes
2. if doing #1 base on years only and not near 100k miles - no. If at/near 100k miles your choice but yes is probably a good answer (no Crown part - do front 1/2 only as that has all the moving parts)
3. if your temp gauge is riding just a fraction of a tick left of center don't bother as the tstat is fine. Only replace if engine is running cold.
4. relatively cheap and easy while you are in there to replace with Hayden - fyi do a fan shroud mod while in there (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=64278)
5. IMHO don't bother although it's worth checking to see if they are solid. Diesels run cold and modern hose materials are pretty solid so you can go a long time on OEM coolant hoses.
6. worth doing will in past them to do TB. If idlers are not leaking grease they are ok.
7. 7v metal drop ins are good replacements. You might consider viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78238 while doing the replacement since replacing #3 requires getting past the intake elbow anyway.

Optionals:
1. remove from engine and inspect - if solid they can wait; if soggy with oil they can wait but no long; if torn they cannot wait.
2. turbo inlet hose remove and inspect - if not torn it can wait; if torn it cannot wait
3. GDE tune - do ASAP

Clean MAP sensor.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:53 am 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
How many miles on the rig?

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In that case my comments are pretty much on point.

idParts is a pretty good source although I suspect you can get the Hayden fan clutch for somewhat less on Amazon. idParts TB kit is a great value.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:16 pm 
LOST Member

papaindigo wrote:
fyi do a fan shroud mod while in there (viewtopic.php?f=98&t=64278)
You might consider viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78238 while doing the replacement since replacing #3 requires getting past the intake elbow anyway.

For the shroud the pics won't pull up due to server error, I thought about the EGR elbow mod. If I do the EGR elbow will I get any codes? (Thought had to do a GDE tune first to disable the EGR.

For the idParts TB kit I don't know anything about the GRAF Water Pump.

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:58 pm 
LOST Addict

IF you can measure the MAF sensor after idling for a minute in park, that data is useful to determine the general health of the rocker arms. It would be worthwhile change these out and clean intake manifold the same time as timing belt maintenance, if the flow rate data is lower than expected.

If the flow rate is good, it gives a little more peace of mind.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:15 pm 
LOST Member

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
IF you can measure the MAF sensor

MAF 17.5.
Glad you chimed in. I was thinking of a least going ahead and getting your Flash Programmer Tool to back up my current flash in case something happens till I can get one of your tunes.

I hap plan to pull the intake and clean anyway. Changing the rockers isn't in the budget this time around.

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:47 am 
LOST Member

OEM or Zerex G 05

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:43 am 
LOST Addict

synthetic-oil wrote:
IF you can measure the MAF sensor

MAF 17.5.
Glad you chimed in. I was thinking of a least going ahead and getting your Flash Programmer Tool to back up my current flash in case something happens till I can get one of your tunes.

I hap plan to pull the intake and clean anyway. Changing the rockers isn't in the budget this time around.

17.5g/s is close to the factory 18.2g/s flow number and most likely the rocker arms are still in good shape.

Flow rates below 15 g/s most likely exhibit some degree of rocker wear. Below 13g/s and all the rockers are wasted.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:49 am 
LOST Member

I want to thank papaindigo & Keith from Green Diesel Engineering for proving me the info I need to get the PM & repairs done. After seeing the intake elbow I decided to take Keith's advice and pull the valve cover for a cleaning and to check the lifters. I replace one lifter as the spring keeper that holds the lifter to the rocker was bent up almost 90°. All together and purring like a kitten. :BANANA:

Mini road trip today. Then on to loading a tune.

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

IF you can measure the MAF sensor after idling for a minute in park, that data is useful to determine the general health of the rocker arms. It would be worthwhile change these out and clean intake manifold the same time as timing belt maintenance, if the flow rate data is lower than expected.

I wan to try this!! what can I measure the MAF with?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 pm 
LOST Addict

camo wrote:

I wan to try this!! what can I measure the MAF with?

I did with an blue tooth obd2 and torque pro for Android. I think it's the cheapest way to do it.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.