It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 36 MPG on EVIC!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Had an interesting problem with my 05 CRD Limited, I stopped along the side of the road yesterday to talk to a co-worker, figured it would only take a few minutes, but that turned into 45 minutes with the engine idling. Got in, drove away and about a 1/4 mile down the road it slowed down to a crawl, then died. After several attempts at starting it finally fired up. It seemed to run OK, a little sluggish at first. But the weird thing is the EVIC shows my mileage as between 36 - 38 MPG as I continued my drive home, about 50 miles! This is really the first issue I've had with the CRD, got it in Sept 05 and have 25,000 miles on it already. Its been great for my 3 hour daily commute in all kinds of Western New York weather on secondary roads. I do plan on a few mods, better tires, lift (as long as it doesn't effect road manners too much) and some type of front end protection (ARB Bull Bar!). With all that rambeling the question I have is, has anyone had problems with stalling after a long idle and high MPG readings on the EVIC, wish I could believe it!

Post subject: Re: 36 MPG on EVIC!
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:27 am 
LOST Junkie

nycrd wrote:
Had an interesting problem with my 05 CRD Limited, I stopped along the side of the road yesterday to talk to a co-worker, figured it would only take a few minutes, but that turned into 45 minutes with the engine idling. Got in, drove away and about a 1/4 mile down the road it slowed down to a crawl, then died. After several attempts at starting it finally fired up. It seemed to run OK, a little sluggish at first. But the weird thing is the EVIC shows my mileage as between 36 - 38 MPG as I continued my drive home, about 50 miles! This is really the first issue I've had with the CRD, got it in Sept 05 and have 25,000 miles on it already. Its been great for my 3 hour daily commute in all kinds of Western New York weather on secondary roads. I do plan on a few mods, better tires, lift (as long as it doesn't effect road manners too much) and some type of front end protection (ARB Bull Bar!). With all that rambeling the question I have is, has anyone had problems with stalling after a long idle and high MPG readings on the EVIC, wish I could believe it!

Haven't heard that one but it would suggest poor fuel flow,. Checked for any codes with the key trick? Have you changed your fuel filter yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

Would you explain how to check for codes and the "key trick"? I'm sure it's on this forum somewhere, but
a quick answer may be easier than chasing a needle through this haystack of a forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Any chance there was a decimal point in the 36 either not noticed or not displayed? I don't have the EVIC so I can't speak from experience.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

No, there wasn't a decimal point on the EVIC,wish it stayed that high, however today its back in the 25-28 MPG range. I haven't changed the fuel filter yet and at 25,000 miles I guess I should look at it. I would also like to see the Post on the "key thing" again, started searching but got side tracked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

found the OBD II codes in the teck section of this board, but the one mine is showing isn't listed, P 0039. Anyone have a clue what that one means?

Post subject: look up 0093...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:43 pm 
LOST Junkie

nycrd wrote:
found the OBD II codes in the teck section of this board, but the one mine is showing isn't listed, P 0039. Anyone have a clue what that one means?

With the key trick the last 2 digits can be swapped around.

Post subject: Re: look up 0093...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

kjfishman wrote:
nycrd wrote:

With the key trick the last 2 digits can be swapped around.

did a google on p0093 and found this http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

P0093 sounds like it could be a fuel filter or massive fuel leak, I'm thinking plugged filter.
P0039 reads as follows "P0039 - Turbo/Super Charger Bypass Valve Control Circuit Range/Performance"
Before I call the dealer Monday morning, any one got an idea what the P0039 code means? in english!

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Leather(heated), Sunroof, Sirius,
RB1 Navigation Radio, IPod intergration kit
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box
coming ARB & Frankenlift, if I can keep it running long enough!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Yep, P0093 is "Contaminated Fuel" - a clogged fuel filter. Been there, done that, unfortunately. :cry:

You're due for a new fuel filter as is, owners manual/maintenance schedule says 25K replace fuel filter.

'05 Sport CRD Stone White
Provent CCV Filter/AT2525 Muffler
Stanadyne 30 u/Cat 2 u Fuel Filters
Fumoto Drain/Fleetguard LF3487 Oil filter
V6 Airbox/Amsoil EAA Air Filter
Suncoast TC/Shift Kit/Aux Cooler
Kennedy Lift Pump/Return Fuel Cooler