It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: please help
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok, I took the intercooler hose off and yep there was oil in it. I only have 3,600 miles on it. What do I do? Do I take it to the dealer? Is there a TSB on this issue? where do I get one of those provent ccv filters? do I need to have my EGR sensor replaced on the exhaust because of all the oil blowby? If so what is the TSB. I'm still getting 19 mpg around town and if I go off-roading it drops down to 15 mpg.

Second problem. my julian build date on my transmission is 2075. What was that TSB for replacing some sort of trans filter? I don't want pieces of metal wearing out my transmission.

I hate only having 7" of ground clearance.

Are the '06 model ARB bumpers bad to put on the CRD because they block the air flow for intercooler?

Fustrated with my CRD,

Catherine

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/catherine.anderson/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

I can only help you on one of the issues. The mileage in my wife's got progressively better from about 5,000 to 8,000 miles. I think these diesel's just take longer to break in. Also, at least out here, we are just transitioning out of winter blend fuel, which always cost me about 5-10% MPG in my diesel truck and seemed to be about the same in the Jeep.

Good luck with your issues. Aside from 2 bad glow plugs, ours is very happy and just turned 10k.

-Vic

Post subject: Re: please help
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:55 pm 
LOST Addict

KJJeepGirl wrote:
Ok, I took the intercooler hose off and yep there was oil in it. I only have 3,600 miles on it. What do I do? Do I take it to the dealer? Is there a TSB on this issue? where do I get one of those provent ccv filters? do I need to have my EGR sensor replaced on the exhaust because of all the oil blowby? If so what is the TSB. I'm still getting 19 mpg around town and if I go off-roading it drops down to 15 mpg.

Second problem. my julian build date on my transmission is 2075. What was that TSB for replacing some sort of trans filter? I don't want pieces of metal wearing out my transmission.

I hate only having 7" of ground clearance.

Are the '06 model ARB bumpers bad to put on the CRD because they block the air flow for intercooler?

Fustrated with my CRD,

Catherine
Your tranny is in the date of mfg to have the TSB 21-016-05 preformed on the vehicle and should be done a quick as possible to prevent damage requiring major tranny work later. Just tell them it is slips a little in the morning after siting over night and you would like the TSB done. I would also be rady to show them a copy of the TSB in case they haven't heard of that TSB. Letus know if you need a copy, I have printed here once or twice and it could be copied to a Word or Email document and printed.

The intercooler is not blocked by the ARB that I looked at, remember the intercooler (IC) is at top of the radiator area.

19 mpg is not bad in town, most V6 libertys would be getting 15 to 16 under those conditions and that about 25% better mpg then the gasser if not more.

When you can either get a provent, or the new real simple to install CCV oil/air seperator I been working to get on the market in a couple months, or do elephant hose trick and vent OEM CCV to under the truck.

As for 7" ground clearance all I can say is get a lift. :wink:

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There is a TSB to get the transmission reprogrammed too. I had mine done early in the week and either that or a combo of getting the engine broken in and warmer E. WA weather and fuel has me up to the 21-22 MPG range about 1/3 city and 2/3 highway driving. I got 28 on a trip to Olympia in January but I think it would beat 30 now.

Does someone know how heavy the ARB is? The SR at my dealer put one on his Wrangler and it only weighed about 65 lbs. Seems to me that if it is heavier you would need a spring lift instead of a spacer lift and of course the Liberty ARB looks like there is more to it.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:21 pm 
LOST Addict

Two sources for the provent filters are

http://www.reliableindustries.com/catal ... rovent.php
Mann + Hummel Provent CCV Filter

http://airnowsupply.com/tdi/index.htm
Air Now Supply - MANN FILTERS ** VW OWNERS **

I changed my system to open vent while I wait to see the Old Navy unit. Might just leave it open vent - with or without the Old Navy unit. The parts to change to open vent consist of approximately 4' of 3/4 heater hose, a 3/4 hose barb to male garden hose adapter, and a garden hose cap. All available at my local Lowes. Heater hose might not be the best choice long term, but it doesn't put the engine at risk because in an open vent setup it is just an exhaust point. The engine wouldn't be able to ingest any of it if it started to deteriorate badly from the oil.

05 Limited CRD. Bought it new. 112k on the clock now.

GDE Eco-tune, rear differential drain plug (drilled and tapped the pumpkin), transmission pan drain plug, Fumoto oil valve, fuel filler neck restriction removed, front hitch, Hayden fan clutch, Sears P1 battery since 08, Mobil 1 5w40, 5 volt glow plugs, DIY timing belt at 109k

Post subject: no need
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:08 pm 
LOST Junkie

no need to change either sensors or EGR unless they fail.

However, I would install the Provent asap or Old Navy CCV filter when it becomes available.

The "elephant hose," ie, vent to the atmosphere is illegal, please remember. And with good reason: about 85% of the pollution engines would otherwise emit comes out that pipe.

So if you choose to do the vent to atmosphere trick, do so only as an emergency temporary thing. Everyone's lungs thank you.

If you have oil in the hoses and intercooler, it would be a good idea to run a rag through 'em all and wipe out as much as possible. Be careful: do NOT use any solvent to clean any of the intake system. DC says you can even run a rag around the inside of the sensor body, BUT NO SOLVENTS OF ANY KIND.

Post subject: Re: no need
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:48 pm 
LOST Addict

naturist wrote:
no need to change either sensors or EGR unless they fail.

However, I would install the Provent asap or Old Navy CCV filter when it becomes available.

The "elephant hose," ie, vent to the atmosphere is illegal, please remember. And with good reason: about 85% of the pollution engines would otherwise emit comes out that pipe.

So if you choose to do the vent to atmosphere trick, do so only as an emergency temporary thing. Everyone's lungs thank you.

If you have oil in the hoses and intercooler, it would be a good idea to run a rag through 'em all and wipe out as much as possible. Be careful: do NOT use any solvent to clean any of the intake system. DC says you can even run a rag around the inside of the sensor body, BUT NO SOLVENTS OF ANY KIND.
The solvent warning is to prevent legal action because some DA didn't clean out the solvent and/or give it time to evaporate. Remember we start diesels under super cold conditions with ether, heck I can remember doing it with our old cars when I was a kid 50 years or so ago.

I have found about the best is something along the lines of Dawn soap if hoses are removed. What is bite is cleaning the IC. However may be possible if you just use some soap and and a hose, then the reverse side of a shop vac to blow out the IC and all should be right with IC.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wow, gettin kinda worried about mine. It is a 05 too. Where can I read the build date? When I looked at that sticker that is on the driver door it only said 2005 I believe. Is there a source that shows me all TSB's that have to be performed for mine? How do I check the intercooler hose for oil, where is it located?

ORM&EHM with great success!
TJM T17 Bumper, 50W KC HID's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My 03 Dodge cummins that I traded for the Liberty had a road draft tube and no converter from the factory so I am not going to hurt anything by Road drafting the Liberty. Since the Liberty came stock with a closed system will a road draft set-up vent enough? Is there actually quite a vacuum present in stock form?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:21 am 
LOST Addict

Endurance wrote:
Wow, gettin kinda worried about mine. It is a 05 too. Where can I read the build date? When I looked at that sticker that is on the driver door it only said 2005 I believe. Is there a source that shows me all TSB's that have to be performed for mine? How do I check the intercooler hose for oil, where is it located?

Just check the sticker on the driver's door. The month/year will be easy to see. There is a code sequence at the bottom of the sticker with the actual date and time. TSB 18-009-06 is the latest update (4/06 release) and supposed to supercede all others. If an update is already done, there will be a sticker with the data under the hood.

The easiest way to check the intercooler hoses for oil is a with 5/16 nutdriver. Open the hood and look to your left for what looks like a radiator hose except it runs from the turbo to the intercooler (IC looks like a radiator but is mounted in front of the coolant radiator). Pop off that hose at the intercooler and look inside. The inside of the hose should be clean, dry, and bright red silicone. It will likely be black and dripping oil.

Actually the easiest way to check is look at the tailgate. If you have a CRD badge, you have oil in you intercooler hoses (unless you have a CCV filter).

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.