It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: CRD Product Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:33 pm 
LOST Junkie

Due to the overwhelmingly strong demand for my CRD Intake Elbow Kits (see signature for link), I now have the infrastructure and supply chain connections in place to develop additional products for the CRD. I have a growing list of ideas, but I welcome your suggestions as well.

Note: I have no desire to compete with GDE, IDParts or other community member products as these guys are doing a huge service to the CRD community. My goal is to fill voids that exist for our nitch CRDs, so we can continue to enjoy them for years to come!

So... what do YOU wish you had for your CRD??

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

Post subject: Re: CRD Product Ideas?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:32 pm 

I have started building a 3 inch pipe adapter to replace the air box. The pipe will connect one one end to a K&N RU-2820 filter (6.5 in long x 5 in dia) or similar round type very large air filter and the other end to the rubber intake boot that feeds the turbo. The pipe must have provisions to insert and attach the MAF sensor and a place for the temperature sensor to insert and attach. A larger size filter may work, just have not got that far yet. Still working on the pipe adapter. Got a square hole cut in the pipe and a flat flange welded to the pipe with studs inserted to attach the MAF.

If you can build a pipe like this say out of aluminum pipe like the one you did on the elbow kit with provisions for both sensors, I believe there may be a market for it. Only other part needed to go with this setup is a partition to keep the engine heat away from the air filter.
Let me know if you are interested in building a prototype for testing. I can send you some pictures of the pipe I am working on. I have some ideas on the partition as well....laxan or aluminum? :?: :?:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:55 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
I have started building a 3 inch pipe adapter to replace the air box. The pipe will connect one one end to a K&N RU-2820 filter (6.5 in long x 5 in dia) or similar round type very large air filter and the other end to the rubber intake boot that feeds the turbo. The pipe must have provisions to insert and attach the MAF sensor and a place for the temperature sensor to insert and attach. A larger size filter may work, just have not got that far yet. Still working on the pipe adapter. Got a square hole cut in the pipe and a flat flange welded to the pipe with studs inserted to attach the MAF.

If you can build a pipe like this say out of aluminum pipe like the one you did on the elbow kit with provisions for both sensors, I believe there may be a market for it. Only other part needed to go with this setup is a partition to keep the engine heat away from the air filter.
Let me know if you are interested in building a prototype for testing. I can send you some pictures of the pipe I am working on. I have some ideas on the partition as well....laxan or aluminum? :?: :?:

To me the stock air system is better than a K&N system. I know many feel the same way so I don't see a demand in this one.
Maybe an air box to turbo hose that doesn't have the CC vent tube?

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:08 am 
LOST Addict

Seth, I think the intake heater may have a market in North. No rush from me, when you're ready I'll be happy to pay&try it.

Also, for people with runaway diesel fears, a butterfly in your elbow kit with a choke cable may be a good project.

Just finished the 2 battery conversion. A nice covered box for the trunk, with option for battery trays, about 1 ft tall and wide as the trunk would definitely be a nice addition, not sure if the price of aluminum sheet would worth the investment in such a project though. I saw a set for Cherokee on youtube, a while ago, with lots of drawers, don't remember the price but I remember it was expensive.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:34 am 
LOST Junkie

Aluminum intercooler piping would be lovely. Were hitting the same boost levels as the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and yet are using soft hoses. A turbo back exhaust kit would be nice too. At least these use already available and common size pipe, just find someone to bend it. Most people do not know how much it costs to r&d and get things setup. A $100 part might need $10,000 to get it designed on cad, materials sourced, tooling bought/ setup. Test it, change it, it really adds up fast.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:46 am 
LOST Newbie

I second the aluminum pipes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:52 am 
LOST Junkie

thermorex wrote:
Seth, I think the intake heater may have a market in North. No rush from me, when you're ready I'll be happy to pay&try it.

This one is on my list. And I thank you for being will to test a prototype. We'll continue to be in touch on this.

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Most people do not know how much it costs to r&d and get things setup. A $100 part might need $10,000 to get it designed on cad, materials sourced, tooling bought/ setup. Test it, change it, it really adds up fast.

Very true!

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Aluminum intercooler piping would be lovely. Were hitting the same boost levels as the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and yet are using soft hoses.

brando26 wrote:

An aluminum Intercooler Piping Kit is already on my list and I am already running a prototype on my vehicle. So stay tuned on that!

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have had metal cac pipe for a while now. One is SS, the other aluminized, both have mandrel bends they work well. Attached is my thread for those interested enough to read through it.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=63672

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:31 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Personally, I would avoid changing the intake system filtration. The air box is sufficient, and K&N filters just aren't. They let far too much into the engine. If there was space for a larger filter surface, all that would accomplish would be reduced airspeed across the filter surface, not any more air volume. If your CRD has reduced volume of air.... How filthy is your filter? Aren't you glad that filth isn't IN the engine?

What I see as a need: the air box to turbo hose. There isn't an aftermarket option for that, and though it is only a dealer item at $50... It would be nice to know that there is no need to buy something that you KNOW is going to melt away from oil exposure from the CCV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

I second the turbo back exhaust kit. I appreciate your entrepreneurial drive and hope to support it's future endeavors!

Semper Fi (1979-2001)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:24 pm 
LOST Addict

Seth, how hard is to build an aluminum intercooler for crd? This is something I always wanted to upgrade. I think the "radiator" for the intercooler isn't a big deal, I think the challenge is to build the frame, where pretty much all accessories including the radiator get bolted in. I'd be definitely interested in one, hopefully more people will support the idea...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:04 am 
LOST Member

The only mods to the intake system that will make it run better is a snorkel and increasing the filter area with no compromise to filtering efficiency. Not about dirty filters - about dirty running conditions - bulldust imparts a very high load on filters in a very short time and so does most outback running.
I've been working rather hard at excluding those sub-microscopic and microscopic coalescing particulates from my internal engine environment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:29 am 
LOST Newbie

weeks101 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

This one is on my list. And I thank you for being will to test a prototype. We'll continue to be in touch on this.

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Most people do not know how much it costs to r&d and get things setup. A $100 part might need $10,000 to get it designed on cad, materials sourced, tooling bought/ setup. Test it, change it, it really adds up fast.

Very true!

diesel_guy86 wrote:
Aluminum intercooler piping would be lovely. Were hitting the same boost levels as the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks, and yet are using soft hoses.

brando26 wrote:

An aluminum Intercooler Piping Kit is already on my list and I am already running a prototype on my vehicle. So stay tuned on that!

x1 I would be alll over the metal CAC pipes.

Post subject: CRD Product Ideas?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:05 am 
LOST Newbie

CCV catch can is no brainer.
Like this.
Jeff

Every car club sells one.
http://www.customcorvetteaccessories.co ... chcan.html

Factory should've had plastic or Alum cac pipes imho. Bring it! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 am 
LOST Addict

I am up for IC Pipes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:44 pm 
LOST Member

How about picking up on the great thermostat modification that the fellow who moved to Australia was doing! The design was a mod of the OE one with a changeable thermostat inside.

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:52 pm 
LOST Member

taroo wrote:
How about picking up on the great thermostat modification that the fellow who moved to Australia was doing! The design was a mod of the OE one with a changeable thermostat inside.

Ahh...here is the thread. Great design but he quit making them when he moved overseas.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50940&hilit=Thermostat

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=50940&hilit=Thermostat

Gen 2 Fuel Head
GDE Eco Tune
ARP studs
Etechno (7v) Glow Plugs
F37
Kap 193 thermostat
Carter Lift Pump (Modified wiring harness)
Fumoto (CRD-108)
Bypass oil filter (2 micron)
Samco
Provent
Sears P-1 Battery
Secondary 2 micron fuel filter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:07 pm 
LOST Addict

How about a custom tray for a monster battery? The biggest one the hood will close on. :JEEPIN:
I know you have already gone in that direction, weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:45 pm 
LOST Addict

CATCRD wrote:
How about a custom tray for a monster battery? The biggest one the hood will close on. :JEEPIN:
I know you have already gone in that direction, weeks.

Lol. Btw, pure curiosity, why don't you add 2 batteries in the rear and get rid of the hood one? You could add a small box (battery box with/without cover) under the hood to hold the connections from the rear batteries to the front ones and also have some space for some other relays/fuse panels/etc. Don't want to sacrifice cargo space? We could ask Seth very nicely to build a rear cargo box, for both batteries and additional stuff, such as a diesel canister :D. I have dual batteries on both Cherokee and crd, Cherokee has them after the front seats (that's a 2 seat car), crd on the back of rear bench, but there is no much cargo space left to be honest.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd be interested in something to replace the crappy airbox to turbo hose I've had to replace twice in 140k.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings