It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP , CRD LOST POWER WHILE IDLING runs but not fast,
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

my wife has a 2006 crd 2.8 with 120,000 miles , timing belt changed at 100k . yesterday coming home from hospital after wifes surgery jeep started idling like crap and then would only run about 30 mph max . I changed fuel filter today thinking that was it , it ran good for 2 miles then went back to running the same . I need help bad as my grandmother died yesterday morning and my wife has testing on Tuesday another surgery 100 miles away on thursday . took it to autozone this evening , only code was p0725 . im thinking maybe fuel filter head but need advice please .

Post subject: Re: HELP , CRD LOST POWER WHILE IDLING runs but not fast,
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:04 am 
LOST Addict

Take a look at the link:

viewtopic.php?f=93&t=56666&view=previous

A transmission shop may be able to help more.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:46 am 
LOST Newbie

im pretty sure my turbo is blown or atleast not working right , my father told me to just take my grandmothers Lincoln until we get jeep fixed or if we liked it we could buy it cheap . after driving the Lincoln towncar executive less than an hour we decided to go ahead and just buy it and fix jeep when im not so stressed

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:27 am 
LOST Addict

Sounds like it is limp mode. If the turbo was "blown", it would not briefly return to normal running. Good to wait until you can really focus on this and not do something impulsive.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:21 am 
LOST Newbie

If you still have the old filter cut it open and see if it is full of algae. If this is the case you will need to have the tank cleaned. I hope all goes well for you and your wife.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:55 am 
LOST Newbie

junkjeep wrote:
If you still have the old filter cut it open and see if it is full of algae. If this is the case you will need to have the tank cleaned. I hope all goes well for you and your wife.

algae ? ill check but this is west texas , thought you need water for algae . im ready for ideas guys

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 am 
LOST Member

Don't know how humid it is right where you are situated but near Sydney lately we've consistently had close to 100% RH and I add a diesel specific algaecide to my tank every time I fill up. It draws moisture in with the fluid flow and -- you get the idea. It condenses, settles and the anaerobes love it.
If that's the cause, hopefully, a filter change may get you out of trouble but the tank might need cleaning (at worst). Thoughts are with you and Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm kind of doubtful of algae (which is actually mold or bacteria, algae can't grow without light) but if you're getting real hot temps during the day (which I know you're area is known for) and then real cool at night there might be enough condensation forming in the tank for stuff to grow.

From the little bit of looking around I did for that code I would lean more toward a electrical issue, a bad sensor or a bad wire. Unfortunately the electrical trouble shooting manual I have doesn't have anything about that code or sensor. I don't know where that sensor is located on the engine but what I would recommend is take a look at the main wire harness that comes out from behind the fuel head and check for any worn wires. I found that the engine cover had worn almost all the way through one on mine. It's a easy starting point but I don't know if it's the right direction. Other than that find out where the sensor is on the engine and check that if you can then track the wire back to the transmission control module and look for broken wires. Hopefully this helps, but more so hopefully someone with more knowledge than me on this system finds their way to this post.

2006 Liberty CRD "Hog"-168,+00 miles, Mishimoto turbo hoses, Hitch mount tow shackle, Goodyear Wrangler ST P225/75R-16 DGE VSB (TERRIBLE if there is the slightest amount of ice on the ground), GDE Ecotune
1994 Wrangler SE "Bud"-85,000 miles, 4.0 HO, 3 speed auto, hard top, as stock as they come and that's how it's going to stay

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:02 am 
LOST Member

Re the original posting in the thread - I think we need more description but I realise our friend is somewhat distracted at the present time. Somewhere I have a map of all the engine sensors. May be able to help you out.
Realistically P0725 - it seems a transmission shop as thermorex said and a good read of the thread he linked to. If that is the only relevant code my transmission book says - these (45RFE and 545RFE) transmissions - same outcome for both.

Re algae: The chemical I use is also a fungicide but there are parts of the tank where just enough light can get through along the translucent plastic to transmit light for algal growth. Darned translucent polymers - why couldn't it be all be practical black? I was responding to the suggestion above my post.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sprinters have a steel filler neck, and they get all rusty due to condensation. While you fuel that is not totally dry circulates, it is warmed, and the water vapor condenses on surfaces on the tank and filler neck where it is cooler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:13 am 
LOST Newbie

I don't see any green algae in old filter , it ran good for few minutes after I changed fuel filter , im still thinking its in fuel filter head and sucking air but I could be wrong , the code just says rpm few below 390rpm for 2 seconds and with how its running im sure it did

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:15 pm 
LOST Member

From what you last posted that is a good place to start.
The alga is black in the diesel case. Really awful thick black.
If you got some kind of improvement then it may well be air in the fuel head.
The codes are being given a heck of a lot of cred - but they really are just a guide and you can't beat good old intuition and being on the spot.
Question is: When you keep re-bleeding, do you keep getting additional air out of it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:42 am 
LOST Member

quote]algae ? ill check but this is west texas , thought you need water for algae . im ready for ideas guys[/quote]
I grew up in San Angelo so I can tell you it isn't algae. Since it doesn't rain much, 13" a year the biggest problem we had was the dust. It gets in everything. I have taken fuel tanks of that had mud in them. Take the fuel cap and remove the supply line to the filter and back blow it with 40psi air. If it runs ok for a while then you will need to pull the tank. From reading the post I believe you have already changed the fuel filter. Before moving past the fuel filter check the psi of the lift pump. If all that is ok then you will need to check out the IP. Your problem sounds like it is starving for fuel. We in west Texas do you live? Maybe if it isn't to far from were I live now I could help you, and don't tell me El Paso! :ROTFL:

1993 C3500 Chevy 6.5 Turbo Diesel
1984 C7500 Chevy Flat Bed 366 gas
1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

synthetic-oil wrote:
quote]algae ? ill check but this is west texas , thought you need water for algae . im ready for ideas guys

I grew up in San Angelo so I can tell you it isn't algae. Since it doesn't rain much, 13" a year the biggest problem we had was the dust. It gets in everything. I have taken fuel tanks of that had mud in them. Take the fuel cap and remove the supply line to the filter and back blow it with 40psi air. If it runs ok for a while then you will need to pull the tank. From reading the post I believe you have already changed the fuel filter. Before moving past the fuel filter check the psi of the lift pump. If all that is ok then you will need to check out the IP. Your problem sounds like it is starving for fuel. We in west Texas do you live? Maybe if it isn't to far from were I live now I could help you, and don't tell me El Paso! :ROTFL:[/quote]
I live outside of Abilene , mud in gas tank I could believe algae not so much lol , I also usually add a quart of 30 weight oil to every tank of diesel because we get crappy low sulfor diesel , I have always add oil even to tractor and cummins . I did not think jeep had lift pump I thought it was draw thru injection pump ?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:59 am 
LOST Member

sonnydaze wrote:
I live outside of Abilene , mud in gas tank I could believe algae not so much lol , I also usually add a quart of 30 weight oil to every tank of diesel because we get crappy low sulfor diesel , I have always add oil even to tractor and cummins . I did not think jeep had lift pump I thought it was draw thru injection pump ?

I'm an AMSOIL dealer so I use our Diesel Concentrate Performance Fuel Additive. http://goo.gl/6un8vz I've got my Libby torn apart doing PM & repairs and I was happy to see the condition of the injectors.

The lift pump is #10 in this pic.
https://db.tt/AAIXtFp4

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I do not know what #10 is or where the picture came from but it is not an in tank fuel pump. The 05/06 CRDs do not have such a pump although a) they have that portion of the assembly that functions only as a fuel tank level gauge and b) they do have most of the wiring necessary to install an in tank fuel pump as is discussed extensively in the forum. Unless modified, which is not uncommon, fuel is drawn from the tank by the CP3/injection pump mounted on the lower front of the engine in the vicinity of the AC compressor. A not uncommon cause for poor performance is air in the fuel from a) a 1st generation fuel filter head leak/burned out fuel heater element (see fuel bleeding video on Sir Sams NOOB guide), b) other leaks in filter area such as not seated bleeder screw, filter not tight, filter installed without removal of the inner gasket, primer pump seal leaking, or water in fuel sensor leaking, or c) air entering the system from one or both quick disconnect fuel line fittings back in vicinity of the fuel tank.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:48 am 
LOST Member

[quote="papaindigo"]I do not know what #10 is or where the picture came from but it is not an in tank fuel pump./quote]

I had gone to one of the Mopar websites plugged in the info and that is what came up. Guess this is a good lesson not to always trust the on-line parts websites and to know your vehicle. I went to my service manual and it states no external lift pump but it is part or the IP. Lesson learned.

1987 R25 Chevy 350 gas

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I went to pick up my wifes jeep from my grandmothers house today , its about 20 miles away . it started and idled like crap half way home going up a hill it cleaned up and started running great . I have drove it around , let it idle and stopped and started it several times and it runs great , guess it had air in line

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:52 am 
LOST Newbie

The fuel filter has a 7/16" nipple to release air.Pump and let air out and close quickly. Repeat until its fuel. Run for ~20 seconds to make sure its all out then torque it down.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Jsbarks wrote:
The fuel filter has a 7/16" nipple to release air.Pump and let air out and close quickly. Repeat until its fuel. Run for ~20 seconds to make sure its all out then torque it down.

I did that 20 times atleast but its running good now