It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transmission-related problem?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:58 am 
LOST Newbie

Hi all,

My wife's '06 [107,000 miles (doing the timing belt job this month)] 4x4 has encountered a problem. While driving with cruise control engaged at any speed, if the "accelerate" button is pushed, the vehicle picks up speed normally. If at speed using cruise and the "cancel" button is pushed and the vehicle decelerates many mph, when the "resume" button is pushed the rpms climb way up but the vehicle won't accelerate. When at any speed not using cruise and the gas pedal's pushed down hard, the same thing happens: rpms climb but the vehicle doesn't accelerate. In hindsight, there've been a few times when we've been driving at normal town speeds and approached a stop sign and, when the vehicle has almost stopped, it "chugs" to a final stop (almost as if the transmission didn't disengage its gears correctly). Perhaps the two conditions are related?

Thinking that perhaps the lack of accelerating could be turbo-boost-related, I checked the intercooler hoses and didn't see any obvious splits/holes. The hoses are soft (though I've had the EHM mod done since 26,000 miles), so they'll be replaced when I do the timing belt job. The transmission fluid level is OK and the fluid's not burnt. I do have the MAP sensor disconnected at the airbox so the EGR valve is inoperable too.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? What was the cause and how did you remedy it? Any replies will be greatly appreciated!

Steve

Post subject: Re: Transmission-related problem?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Do not know about cruise, but you can live without tbat. The stalling coming to a stop is most likely the TC failing to release the clutches. Search the site for this topic. There have been MANY posts on this.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

" If at speed using cruise and the "cancel" button is pushed and the vehicle decelerates many mph, when the "resume" button is pushed the rpms climb way up but the vehicle won't accelerate. When at any speed not using cruise and the gas pedal's pushed down hard, the same thing happens: rpms climb but the vehicle doesn't accelerate. " - try turning cruse completely off next time either of these happen and see if acceleration is normal with the go pedal. Report back.

"there've been a few times when we've been driving at normal town speeds and approached a stop sign and, when the vehicle has almost stopped, it "chugs" to a final stop " - unless you have recently done a tranny service do a tranny service with ATF+4 fluid only and either OEM or WIX filters. Report back. If you have done a tranny service recently did you use correct fluid/filters, if not redo, if you did ignore tranny fluid level on dipstick and add 1qt ATF+4. Report back.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:58 pm 

Sounds to me like it is low in ATF, do like Pap says, add some ATF+4 to slightly above the hot full mark on the dipstick when the Jeep transmission fluid is at ambient temperature. ATF Dipstick inaccuracies are a known problem with our CRD's and Low ATF levels can cause all kind of weird problems. Been there done that with the come to a stop stall when cold, raising ATF level to above full mark cured it! :D
Let us know what you find or how it ends up so others can learn from it. :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:19 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the replies! I'll do as suggested and change the fluid/filter and add a little extra and report back. In the meantime, I had the following codes cleared: P0102/P1189/P1261/P0841. Would appreciate knowing what those are related to and if any of them could potentially contribute to the problem. As a reminder, I do have the MAP sensor disconnected at the airbox.

Thanks again all,

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

SJBrooks wrote:
Thanks for the replies! I'll do as suggested and change the fluid/filter and add a little extra and report back. In the meantime, I had the following codes cleared: P0102/P1189/P1261/P0841. Would appreciate knowing what those are related to and if any of them could potentially contribute to the problem. As a reminder, I do have the MAP sensor disconnected at the airbox.

Thanks again all,

Steve

Bumping this back to the top. Would greatly appreciate replies. Also, can anybody post a link to an '06 DTC list?

Thanks again,

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 8:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There is a "sticky" that lists them on the CRD tech site. Also go to Sir Sams NOOB guide and get a copy of the 06 FSM which has the codes and associated diagnostics (05 FSM does not as they were published in a separate volume)

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Papaindigo! Appreciate the point in the right direction. I've sent you a PM as well.

Best regards,

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not sure the PM notice feature is working properly so if not FYI I sent a PM reply.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:28 pm 
LOST Newbie

This is in reference to my previous post, above. As suggested, I looked at the DTC list on the "sticky" on the CRD Tech page, and only one DTC (P1261) was listed. The other three (P0102/P1189/P0841) are not listed. Is that "sticky" list up-to-date? Would greatly appreciate somebody sending me the meaning of the three DTCs and also suggesting a fix for all four.

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:45 am 
LOST Addict

P0102 is MAF unplugged fault (no voltage)
P1189 unplugged air pressure sensor on side of airbox
P0841 this is not on our KJ fault code list, but on the Chrysler master list it refers to "transmission fluid pressure sensor/switch ""A" Circuit range/performance."

Hope this is helpful, the drivability issue seems related to a problem with the transmission and low fluid pressure.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks! Can anybody tell me where on/in the transmission the pressure switch we're talking about is located?

Steve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:47 am 
LOST Newbie

SJBrooks wrote:
Thanks! Can anybody tell me where on/in the transmission the pressure switch we're talking about is located?

Steve

Bump back to top. Can anybody tell me where this switch is located? I have not yet taken any of the suggested actions to see what the cause(es) of the problem might be, but will soon.

In addition to above:

Can anybody confirm that the F37 recall was applicable to only '05 CRDs? My '06 was built in Sept '05, and we bough it in Sept '06. Sometime between then and Jan '07, I received (IIRC) a notice from Jeep saying to bring it to the dealer for the F37 recall, which was accomplished in Jan '07. There's a sticker on the radiator/CAC header panel saying "F37 accomplished. Replaced torque converter and reprogrammed ECM & TCM". How likely is it this replaced converter is now bad? Is there anything associated with the F37 that could be causing my trans problem?

Thanks all,

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

bump back to top. I could really use anybody with knowledge to answer my questions.

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:52 am 
LOST Junkie

The pressure sensor is on the drivers side of the tranny. Can't seem to post a pic today, but look up the 545rfe tranny and you should be able to find a pic of it.

F37 applied to all CRDs. Early made CRDs got a new TC (not the Euro TC) and a TCM flash. Later model CRDs just got the TCM flash.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

ebbnflow,

Thanks for the reply! As regards the F37 recall, should my Jeep have not had its ECM reprogrammed along with the TCM? Further question: since I'm unsure what type of TC was installed with the F37, is there a way to tell what kind is installed without removing the transmission from the vehicle?

Thanks again,

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:58 am 
LOST Junkie

I believe the ECM also got flashed to de tune the motor ( less HP and Torque), so the TC would last longer.

The TCM flash changed the shift points to avoid shudder at 50mph. It also keeps the TC unlocked more often to prevent shudder as well.

Chrysler engineering at its best.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:23 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the replies. Is there a way to visually inspect the TC while still in the vehicle to tell what type it is (stock, European, etc)? If there is, what clues should I look for to tell the type?

Steve

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

No. Unfortunately the only way to identify the TC is by looking at the label on the box it comes in.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:40 am 
LOST Addict

To elaborate on the last post, as crazy as this sounds, the only way I know to identfy the EURO TC is from the part number on the cardboard box the TC comes in. However, step one is to get a GDE ECU tune of your choice. If you then experience shudder around 58 mph, then you need to decide which higher capacity TC you are going to get.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP