It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dyno Results After GDE Eco Tune
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:13 am 
LOST Newbie

I am putting my GI Bill to good use and getting an Automotive Engineering degree at the near by university. One of the best parts is access to the department's Dynamometer (Dyno). As part of an assignment we were to put a vehicle on the Dyno, establish a baseline run, then perform a "modification" and show the difference. I planned to bring my GDE tuner (that I meant to return to GDE) and put the Jeep back to stock programing for the baseline run then tuned for the modified run. Unfortunately I left the tuner at the house by accident. So my modification was to cover half of the air filter with a sheet of paper which cut peak torque down by 20 ft-lbs and peak power by 13 HP compared to my best run.

Anyway I saved my best run and posted it below for all of you to see and comment on. The numbers are defiantly lower than I was expecting but I was running winter diesel fuel. Peak torque: 230 ft-lbs peak power: 133 HP. The Jeep was completely stock other than the GDE Eco Tune and muffler delete. At the time of the Dyno run it had 170,000 miles with 160,000 miles of active EGR (Previous owner, Pre GDE tune).

2003 Ford Ranger FX4, 4.0L, 3in lift, 33s, SOLD
1992 Ford Ranger 2wd, 3.0L, 5 Speed!
1999 Ford Ranger 4x4, 3.0L, SOLD

Post subject: Re: Dyno Results After GDE Eco Tune
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:30 am 
LOST Newbie

Great post. I recently installed the Eco tune on my 2006 kj. I can't say that I notice a great deal more power either. But... The economy and drivability is well worth it. I have a kn filter in addition. I would love to see a dyno comparison with that mod. Thanks for your service. Chris

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I know that the HOT Tune shows results at the track...see sig

Mods: GDE Hot Tune w/ 364#@2000rpm/Air Box /3" Str8 Exhaust/ASFIR Alum Skids/245-75R-16 Cooper STT PRO/OME LIFT w/Clevis & 4 Spring Isos/AirTabs/Rigid 10" S2 LED/4xGuard Ctr Matrix Bumper
Drag Strip:Reac=.1078_60ft=2.224_1/8=10.39@64.8mph_1/4+16.46@80.8mph

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:04 am 
LOST Addict

Will you be going back to the dyno? Check my dyno results in my old posts in 2007/2008. Dyno results are often not that useful for absolute readings, but comparisons are very useful.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Army Ranger,

Your power and torque numbers look correct, but there a few things to note. How the testing is completed makes a big difference in output. I am not sure what gear you were in for the test run, but 3rd gear (OD off) is best for making pulls on the dyno. You data shows peak power and torque at 3000rpm, which is in line with the data we have posted on our website for that rpm. Our data is at the engine flywheel and since yours is at the wheels you can assume a 15% loss through the driveline. Since you have the eco tune the torque is limited to 270 ft-lb and power is down from 176hp at 3000rpm to about 160ish.

If you can get back on the dyno, try it in 3rd gear (od off) and start the pull at about 1650rpm. Press pedal about 60% and then progress to full throttle. This feathering of the throttle shut prevent the torque converter from unlocking. You may want to test throttle progression on the road to get the feel for the unlock point prior to going on the dyno.

Hopefully this is helpful. GDE

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:11 pm 
LOST Member

Another reason you may be down on power could be the carpet getting in the way. When monitoring my throttle position signal and mashing the go pedal I see around 80% throttle and with the floor mat removed around 93%. Just a thought.

'06 Liberty CRD Limited GDE Hot Tune, Lift Pump

Head Gasket and Timing Belt Pics

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:03 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good input from everyone, keep in mind this pull was made in mid February. I'll be back to the dyno when I get all this winter diesel out of my tank. I can see my MPG picking up every time I fill up so it won't be long. To GDE, it was 3rd gear, I'll try OD off and slow progression of throttle next time. Very insightful about the floor mat, I'll check that for sure.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4, 4.0L, 3in lift, 33s, SOLD
1992 Ford Ranger 2wd, 3.0L, 5 Speed!
1999 Ford Ranger 4x4, 3.0L, SOLD