It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amazon funds to replace the front Coils and Strut/shocks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm 
LOST Member

I need to replace the old stock front coils/strut/shocks on my 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD (123,700 Miles on it now), but I'm on a budget and am restricted to the funds being accessible via Amazon dot com (I'm not trying to advertise or anything, I'm just limited in where my funds are).

I am also not a mechnic nor do I have a space to do much of the work myself, so I'll be taking it to a shop to get the work done. I did replace my KJs rear coils and rear shocks with OME 948s & Bilstein 4600s (which was easy), and now it is time for the front suspension to be done.

I've been searching for the best parts that I can buy from Amazon dot com, and figured I'd ask the community here if they have any suggestions about which products might best fit my needs, given the restrictions of only buying via Amazon.

Can I, or Should I go with the coil-over "quick struts", or get the coil & shock/strut separately (and what other parts should I be getting / replacing with this whole process)?

I've found the following parts (which some reviews say good some say bad), please give me any and all feedback:

Coil-Over Strut/Shocks:

MOOG:
MOOG Part # ST8565L (Front Left) & MOOG Part # ST8565R (Front Right) = each cost ~$131.00
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ds=ST8565R
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... T8565L++++

GABRIEL:
Gabriel G57007 ReadyMount Complete Strut Assembly & Gabriel G57008 ReadyMount Complete Strut Assembly = each costs ~$120.00
http://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-G57007-Re ... automotive
http://www.amazon.com/Gabriel-G57008-Re ... uctDetails

LEACREE:
Leacree 501715779R Complete Strut Assembly & Leacree 501715779L Complete Strut Assembly = each costs ~$95.00
http://www.amazon.com/Leacree-501715779 ... automotive
http://www.amazon.com/Leacree-501715779 ... automotive

Strut/Shock:

OME:
ARB 90009 Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Strut = each cost ~$169.00
http://www.amazon.com/ARB-90009-Nitroch ... B004P9W25S

Coils? .. can't find any that will work on Amazon...

What say you??

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

Post subject: Re: Amazon funds to replace the front Coils and Strut/shocks
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

My notes say for stock height:

Springs
Fr - Moog 81144
Rr - Moog 81057

Shocks
Fr - Bilstein 24-139168
Rr - Bilstein 24-139175

Best get that confirmed though. All are available via Amazon.com although the listed price for the Moog 81144s is INSANE as the company selling them has a ca. $65 per pair price on their direct web site (I've sent them a query as to why the INSANE pricing). PRICING IS TO BE CORRECTED

Moog or Gabriel preassembled front units should be decent and have the benefit of being plug and play, so to speak, if you are paying someone to do the work. If you get springs and shocks separately then the fronts have to be assembled in the coil over configuration which adds a bit of work and requires a proper spring compressor.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

Last edited by papaindigo on Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:49 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks papaindigo, as always, your perspective and knowledge is appreciated!

I agree with you about the Moog 81144 Suspension Coil Spring being ridiculously priced at $1,298.56 ...

That has got to be something funky.

I'll probably end up going with the pre-assembled coil-over strut/shock versions for ease of installation and purchasing process.

Now I just need to figure out which is best between Moog and Gabriel.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD Limited: GDE Eco Tune, Weeks Kit 1&2, Provent 200, P3 E-Brake Controller, Custom Rock Rails, Suspension & Arms (OME, ARB, Raybestos, Bilsteins, etc.), 11-Bladed Fan, HD-Fan-Clutch, HDS M-001 Thermo, Fan-shroud-mod, Sasquatch Turbo, Tires: BFG AT TA KO2 LT245/70R16 - load D, Carter In-Tank Lift Pump.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:46 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I received a prompt response from the Amazon vendor who was horrified at the posted price. They are new to Amazon and the price was generated by some sort of Amazon automated pricing system. They will investigate the problem ASAP as the price should be more in line with their direct order pricing plus, I assume, a bit extra for Amazon markup and such but no where near $1,298

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:56 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks again Papaindigo. Making the world a better place, one post at a time. :)

Oh and one more question, would it have been better for me to post this thread on the KJ 4x4 area, rather than here?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here is better as it's CRD specific and at least the front spring/shocks are different than on the gasser, heavier engine.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:39 pm 
LOST Member

I would not recommend Bilsteins for the front. The rebound damping is too fast and bounces like a Cadillac...

2006 Liberty CRD 275K, JBA 2.5 with Fox Shocks, GDE Turbo Kit, GDE TCM Tune, Suncoast TC, OEM fuel filter housing converted to fit Caterpillar Fuel Filter 1R-0749, OEM themostat housing modified to accept Hemi 203 F thermostat.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:48 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks papaindigo & SargeIndustries,

I will most likely go for the OME 90009 Struts (http://www.amazon.com/ARB-90009-Nitroch ... B004P9W25S), since they've been referenced as being one of the better versions for our CRDs.

I'll most likely also go with the OME 927 Front Coils on Amazon, since I can't find the OME 790 Coils on Amazon anywhere. I know the 927s aren't ideal for the CRD, from what I've read, but will work and I don't have a heavy bumper or winch so they should be good to go (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004P9 ... MBGFKSW1C3).

Does that sounds alright?

The last big question I have for you, and everyone else ... WHAT ELSE SHOULD I BE REPLACING OR UPGRADING while I'm at it? (Since I'll have it all apart) ...

1.) Bushings?
2.) Arms?
3.) Anything else?

Thanks in advance.