It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Normal Transmission Function??
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:53 pm 
LOST Member

Just curious...after driving my new (to me) CRD around the last 6 months...is this transmission a little different than the typical automatic?? To elaborate, I mean that I've probably driven about 20 different automatic vehicles in my short lifetime, and I've never noticed a hitch or drivetrain clunk when shifting between neutral and drive while coasting, for example. Also, when backing up, I've always been able to take a shortcut by shifting out of reverse and into neutral as I'm almost coming to a stop, and then hitting drive at the same time my backwards momentum stops, or even just after if I'm really concerned about babying the tranny. This Jeep seems like you can't take any shortcuts, though...you need to come to an absolute stop with brake applied before going through neutral and into drive. And, again, if I want to coast to a stop at a traffic light in neutral, I'm going to feel a little something in the CRD as I'm moving into drive from neutral. I just thought this was kind of odd...but, maybe it's normal? Feedback is greatly appreciated....I don't really want to put any unnecessary strain on the tranny. I've spent several hundred thousand miles behind the wheel of a stickshift in the last 15 years....so, maybe I just need a refresher course on driving an auto...LOL.

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

Post subject: Re: Normal Transmission Function??
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:49 am 
LOST Addict

I'd say thats all pretty normal.
Saftey features have been built in so that if you were to accidentaly shift into reverse while
driving forward (and vice versa) you dont lock up the transmission and possibly destroy it.
Also, when coasting in N and slamming it back into D, remember that 3rd gear is the default
gear for D. Normal speed range for 3rd is 20-35 mph. If you are coasting at say 45 mph and
slam it back into D, it will make a noticable and loud clunk.
Other times that clunk is just from taking up slack in the driveline.
Try lightly pressing on the the brake when putting it back into D. That will lessen the clunk a
bit.

Or, of course, you could just drive and shift it like a normal person. :P :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:59 am 
LOST Member

Drive and shift like a normal person? That sounds boring... :P

RRO Rockfather Deluxe Lift (OME/KYB GR-2/RRO)
GDE Eco Tune
SAMCO Sport CAC Hoses
Hayden Fan Clutch
Updated Litens Serpentine Tensioner
European Graf Water Pump
Nitro Rear Diff Cover w/Lubelocker Gasket

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:17 pm 
LOST Addict

Yes, it is boring. :) This tranny is clunky but pretty reliable.

But actually, coasting toward a red light in neutral uses more fuel than if you coast in gear, either manual or automatic. Reason being, in neutral, the engine has to use fuel to support the idle speed. In gear, the road is turning your engine (engine braking) and in many vehicles the fuel injectors will shut off completely. It's also illegal in many areas to coast in neutral :wink: