It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Failed inspection due to PO299, replaced EGR, now PO299???
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:09 am 
LOST Newbie

Here's my story of woe... I'm ready to pull my hair out!

I had the typical problems with the dirty map sensor over a year and a half ago, so I unplugged mas (airbox) sensor & did the elephant hose / plug the ccv line thing and didn't have anymore sensor problems after that, but knew for inspection that I'd have to put it all back to original, so I did. The cel was on the whole time of course with the plug being unplugged, so I never checked for codes.

After putting everything back to original, the cel code was PO401 (EGR), I cleared the code a few times figuring that the egr might need some time to come back to life. It seemed that I tamed the cel light so I brought it to inspection where it failed, the cel light had come back on for them, UGH! I then had a local mechanic replace the EGR with a new one I had ordered a while back. I go to pick up the car and sure enough the cel is off, but I notice that when I stomped on the pedal when pulling out into traffic, there is a loud whoosh of air, either sucking or blowing from seemingly behind the drivers side dash, in the engine bay (he didn't mention this). I figured that maybe he damaged the drivers side cac / intercooler hose, they are old and should've been replaced already, so no big deal I ordered both. Now the cel light is back on for PO299 (low turbo boost). The one drivers side cac hose came in and I put it on, made no difference. To my eyes the cac hoses look ok, but I know that doesn't mean anything. I'm still waiting on delivery of the the other side hose.

When I did the first fuel filter change since bought new at about 12K miles, I must have did something where there was this same (I think) whoosh sound, but motor also ran rough,too. I brought it to the dealership and they changed the cac hoses under warranty, "supposedly", they said one had a crack in it. I'm wondering if I & maybe this mechanic either damaged or unplugged a vacuum line or something else in the vicinity of the EGR & fuel filter and maybe the dealership "fixed something" to get paid, maybe it wasn't the cac hose?

This PO299 / whooshing sound was a sudden thing with the replacement of the EGR, something happened while he changed it. I know that he changed it from underneath when up on the lift, he had to pull out the starter, too.

This mechanic is a couple notches above a shade tree mechanic, good guy who will do things that other mechanics / dealerships wont and works cheaper. I don't want to bust his chops over this, it's probably over his head, too.

I've spent a couple of hours on the forum pouring over old posts, poked my head under the hood trying to find something obvious, to no avail. Everything is so packed tight in there it's very hard to see anything.

Questions? comments? answers?

2006 liberty CRD with 154K pretty happy miles till now. Code reader- Innova 3100 (Walmart).

Thanks, George

Post subject: Re: Failed inspection due to PO299, replaced EGR, now PO299?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I suspect a vacuum hose problem indirectly related to the EGR change although it's also possible he failed to properly connect the intake to EGR tube or the EGR to exhaust tube or damaged one of them. Take a look at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=61240 and viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70602&p=757348&hilit=boost+solenoid#p757348 for some information about the vacuum hoses and take a careful look at the EGR tubes (Note the exhaust one goes around behind the engine to the back passenger side of the exhaust so it may be hard to see unless you dig in there a bit

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

x2 with pop, he left something loose for sure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I forgot to mention that with the engine running there is a noxious smell of exhaust in the engine bay. I went to the tail pipe to take a whiff and it smells sweeter / better, not noxious like by the engine bay. I crawled underneath while it is up on ramps with the engine running, by the drivers side motor mount I can not only smell it, but see a faint smokey haze. So you think if he somehow didn't hook up the metal exhaust lines properly on the EGR, that would be the cause of the low boost / PO299?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Go to viewtopic.php?f=98&t=74594 and take a look at picture #3.

There are 2 EGR hard pipes
1. the heat wrapped one that goes to the intake elbow area and
2. the copper colored one that goes behind the engine

If either or those pipes is cracked or if the ends are not properly sealed then you will have an exhaust leak and poor boost.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

UPDATE;

Well I looked all over for something wrong that would be obvious to me. I just could see anything with how packed in that motor is in that tiny compartment. I finally broke down and took it back to the mechanic, he had me stand on the break and give it some "gas" to make enough of a leak that he could track it. He found it quick enough, it was leaking from the EGR tube that meets the intake, at the clamp, the V clamp had broken and he put it back on best he could when he changed the EGR. So it was kinda "his fault", one side of the V broke off the clamp and can't do the job it needs to do like that.

He asked me to order it and either I can put it on myself, or he'll do it. So just waiting now on the mail man for this clamp. None of the local car part places, VW & Mercedes dealerships have any for sale, figures.

Thanks! George