It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Powersteering Woes help please
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:33 am 
LOST Newbie

Have a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. It has 138k on it. having an odd issue with power steering. Some history first, bought the jeep about 2 months ago the previous owner had just had the high pressure line replaced and said since it had some air in the power steering, it was actaully a lot of air. so i bled it and it got air in it again, began looking and found the line from the reservoir onto the nipple on the pump had the clamp up way to high on it letting air in around it. I moved the clamp and added a second screw type for good measure, bled the system and drove it for 2 months with no issues. Now the weather has warmed and im getting the same issue foaming to the point of expelling fluid when i shut the jeep off. I have changed most of the fluid, i have bled it and it will bleed out and be perfect even with the jeep idling it seems as though driving it where the rpms come up above idle is where the issue is. I then end up full of air again. I ahve looked and see no signs of a leak anywhere and its about to drive me nuts.

Post subject: Re: Powersteering Woes help please
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:26 am 
LOST Junkie

The FSM shows a specific procedure to remove any air from the system.
This procedure requires the use of a vacuum pump connected to an adapter in place of the reservoir cap.

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Replace the return line,can allow air in from holes in it without actually leaking fluid.

If that does not help start looking at the R&P seals,the ones under the bellows boots,another common leak point that is often hidden with no visible signs of a leak.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 am 
LOST Newbie

i pulled the tie rod end of the boots loose and pushed them back last night no signs of fluid on the tierods so i THINK the rack is ok. Cant find the return line anywhere is my issue, think a hydraulic shop could build one? also how about power steering pump could it have a leak around a bearing? its not making noise when the air is purged though at all. The thing will idle and get nothing but when i drive it down the road where revs are up a bit it sucks in air, its driving me nuts.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:13 am 
LOST Newbie

i got the front end tore down last night so i can get to everything, the pressure hose definately looks newer than the return hose, and i dont see any signs of leaking on it, I also dont see any signs of a leak where the fittings go into the rack. Is there an o-ring here that could still leak air but not see a fluid leak? going to try to pull the return line tonight and take it to a local hydraulic shop to see if they can build me a new one. The rack looks good from what i can see, i had to push the boots back to check it, how do you get the inboard clips loose to take that end of the boot off? Also what are the chances its a bad pump?