It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lower ball joint question?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey all, just wanted to check in and see what's the norm or if anyone on here has had this or a similar situation arise.

My dad was driving his 2006 CRD into a plaza yesterday and apparently the lower ball joint gave out at a slow speed. The known is that the lower ball joint has broken apart somehow, gouging into the rim causing the tire to deflate and popping the flare out of place. Maybe more is damaged undetermined as of yet due to work etc. will update.

Are the lower ball joints under recall? If so, should the subsequent damage incurred due to the faulty/recalled lower ball joint also be repaired?

As always, thanks for the help and guidance.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

Post subject: Re: Lower ball joint question?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Lower ball joint haven't had a recall as I know, just the upper ones. But usually the bad ball joints "scream" to be replaced well ahead of breaking. Maybe your dad didn't pay attention, glad nothing happen to him, could be worse.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 am 
LOST Addict

I am not aware of a front UBJ recall. However, F23 is a recall for the front lower ball joints. You can have a dealer run a VIP report for your VIN to see if it was done. It may also be possible to find out from a Jeep website.

However, I recently confirmed with Chrysler that F23 is NOT a "lifetime" recall. So, if F23 was performed at some point and your LBJs have worn out, you are out of luck. If not, you will get new LBJs from Jeep, but I do not know about collateral damage. I would push it though with your local dealer.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:00 am 
LOST Addict

I am not aware of a front UBJ recall. However, F23 is a recall for the front lower ball joints. You can have a dealer run a VIP report for your VIN to see if it was done. It may also be possible to find out from a Jeep website.

However, I recently confirmed with Chrysler that F23 is NOT a "lifetime" recall. So, if F23 was performed at some point and your LBJs have worn out, you are out of luck. If not, you will get new LBJs from Jeep, but I do not know about collateral damage. I would push it though with your local dealer.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:45 am 
LOST Addict

On all Jeep Libertys the ball joints can wear out and separate.
There was a recall but not all Libertys were included, including mine.
I replaced mine at about 80K miles. Total PITA but it had to be done.

To check your ball joints for wear, jack both front wheels off the ground.
Then lift/push straight up one of the wheels while observing the lower ball joint.
If you see any movement in the joint it needs to be replaced.

I reccomend replacing with MOOG heavy duty ball joints with a lifetime warranty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:16 am 
LOST Addict

BTW, the ball joints on the Libertys is a very poor design. But it is also a very common
design across all makes/models of cars.
Most notably were the 94-99 Mitubishi Eclipses and Gallants (and their Chrysler variants).
I've replaced hundreds of lower ball joints on those cars. Most of which were under warranty/recall.
Sometimes 2 or 3 times on the same car and there were at least four recalls for those
ball joints.
When those ball joints separted at speed the results were catastrophic.

On the Jeep Libertys, both the V6 and CRD use identical front suspension parts.
I suspect that the ball joints could not sustain the additional weight of the diesel engine.

Again I say, replace with MOOG heavy duty.
And dont forget to grease them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:13 am 
LOST Addict

Flash is correct, the recall is for lower ball joints and was issued on 2006. Jeep Web site has a place where you put in your vin and see the recalls.

Here's the link :

https://www.moparownerconnect.com/oc/US ... Login.aspx

Where is the "recall search", lower left on desktop browser.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey all, thanks for all the helpful information about the lower ball joint.

DOC4444 thanks for verifying LBJ F23 recall exist. Since the jeep was towed to his house and is currently inoperable my dad will attempt a VIP report at his local dealer tomorrow, time permitting as well as inquire about the collateral damage. My dad is the second owner of his jeep, it had approximately 12k miles and about a year old when he bought it relatively new at the time. He said that the LBJ recall has not been performed and the original LBJ are at 19?,??? Miles. He attempted with the link provided by Thermorex however, was unsuccessful.

Flash7210, thanks for the instruction on how to properly check for wear on the ball joints. your spot on PITA to replace the LBJ. Remembered when I recently did my lift I replace the LBJ with the moog since I was already in there. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76429

I also agree with your suspicion regarding the extra weight of the CRD compounding to the faulty LBJ design. Ehhh.... going to go grease and check the ball joint now!

My dad also read through the thread and appreciates all the helpful information provided by all, I will keep you informed of the outcome.

2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD, JBA coilovers-4.5 Arms, 5xMoab's with 265-75-16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ, Safari snorkel, Suncoast T/C, GDE Hot tune, Mandrel bent CAC Tubes, EHM to airbox, Mopar skid's, Fumoto Drain Valve, 3% Tint, ARB front bumper, Full set of Miller tools (9599) to loan within my immediate vicinity.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

UPDATE:

Today my dad went to a local dealer and spoke to the assistant service manager. Manager advised that the LBJ were done in 2006 with the 1st owner of the vehicle via the VIP report. Manager stated that the recall is "life time" and LBJ could be done again? Manager also, advised to contact jeep and "open a case"; which was also done and case number provided.
Both advised that a 105.00 dollar diagnostic fee would be waived if the LBJ was found to be the problem and additionally repair the collateral damage to the jeep.

All this sounds very promising however the vehicle must be towed to the dealer from the house, we shall see. Thanks to all.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Make sure you get in writing that it is "lifetime". I just spent 45 min on hold with Corporate a few days ago and was then told F23 was NOT "lifetime". Hope you do not get stuck with a huge bill. Keep us posted.

DOC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:23 pm 
LOST Addict

The link I posted works very well from desktop, the mobile version however, does not get you to the right page.

Forgot to mention something, an alternative to check the lower ball joint is to raise the wheel couple inches, just enough to insert a shovel under it. One person can go under the car and another one (if available) push the shovel handle down, to lift the wheel, then release, and keep repeating the push-release. You can also do it by yourself with a short handle shovel. You will see/feel any play in the lower joint.

And another thing, there are some heatshields for the lower ball joint, they are supposed to protect the boot from heat. Don't forget to re-install them, as they help in keeping the brake heat away.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 4:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Update:

After approximately a month at the dealer my father picked up the CRD yesterday. Great fully the F23 recall was performed, both lower ball joints were replaced. The BFG ta/ko (235-70-r16) which was punctured due to the failure of the faulty ball joint was also replaced. The rim which was also punctured due to the collapsed ball joint was not replaced or repaired.

The dealer replaced the tire on the damaged rim put it in the cargo area of the jeep. Then place the spare tire and rim on (225-75-r16) on the jeep and called it good to go! All at no charge.

Note: my father is very happy with the service provided by the dealership however, has a different opinion (to say the least) about Chrysler and company. Several calls, Letters, emails, and including notification to NHTSA have been made.

The complaint letter to NHTSA was posted publicly on their website.

My dad is currently attempting to JB weld the inner part of the rim (which was gouged by the LBJ) in an attempt to see if it will hold air.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 2:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

FYI - if anyone circles by the 4x4 section there's a Sticky 'how to check your ball joints'
because this has been a well known Liberty problem for years...
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4348

personally I check mine at every oil change - because I also rotate tires then

and my factory ones got replaced under the recall and the replacements are still good
but if you need to change - upgrade to the grease-able ones - and grease them every oil change
they'll live a long time.