It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2006 Liberty CRD - rough idle after stopping
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

while I have owned a couple of jeeps in the past, never a diesel. I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD with 124,xxx miles. After engine reaches normal operating temp and after I come to a stop, the engine idles rough, chokes, and even twice has quit running (I had to prime fuel filter). Under normal acceleration or moving at any speed engine runs fine.

Background:
- routine items taken care of: air filter replaced, cleaned MAF and MAP - no luck
- new fuel filter and cam sensor (code indicated bad sensor) - no luck

What next - could it be somewhere in the fuel system or even timing belt? Any ideas or simlar past experience?

E-Jeep

Post subject: Re: 2006 Liberty CRD - rough idle after stopping
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:51 pm 
LOST Junkie

my first stop would be pump the fuel system to see if it is easy to pump..if yes then you have air in your fuel line. Do you have a gen 1 or gen 2 fuel head?

second, when was the fuel filter changed last?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

I thought the same about the fuel filter. but filter and prime pump/assembly replaced about a week ago. now it is air tight. still having problems.

could this be related to MAF sensor? I cleanded it with MAF cleaner spray, havent gotten any related error codes. but i have read that people disconnect MAF sensor and get better perfromance. i know i am really reaching here. i have reached the end of the little knowledge and experience i have

E-Jeep

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Temporary, get a transparent fuel hose and a 3/8 brass connection, install the transparent fuel hose in between the out from fuel filter banjo and the black hose that goes to the pump, and see if you have air bubbles. That at least should confirm if you have air in fuel. Just remember that the cooper washers in theory should be replaced any time you disconnect the banjo, for sealing purposes, but I don't think it is your problem if you didn't disconnect them.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:12 am 
LOST Newbie

I would suspect the transmission is at fault. try popping it into neutral when it stats to load up on you. Mine does this when I first start out but improves as it warms up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

both great comments. thanks.

i had checked for air by checking the prime for about a week. i bleed the filter to see what residual air there was. after new assembly no air building up. but i will keep the clear lines in mind.

i hadnt thought about the transmission, i will check that. related topic. i had the front drive shaft replaced by a shop a while back. it wasnt until twulf mentioned the transmission that the thought occured to me that the cam sensor could have been messed up when the drive shaft was replaced. cam sensor could be messing with the idle speed.

t think i look for error codes again and see if the cam sensor has an error

thanks to both for the brainstorming

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A faulty temperature sensor in the back of your Thermostat would cause your idle to suck as well, or if it had come disconnected, but I believe you would have the Thunderbolt light in the dash were that the case.

Have you checked your injectors for blow-by? Start your jeep, then pour a small amount of water on top of each injector, if you get any spray upward while it's running, you will need to replace the copper crush washers on the injectors and the o-rings.

Have you checked your airbox to turbo hose? Take it off of the air box, remove the air box from the jeep entirely, and then remove the hose from the turbo and inspect it where the clamps are without the clamps on them (just slide them around to make the knob come out of the clamp). Look for any small cracks or holes, they can seal up under vacuum if they're small enough but at idle with no turbo to speak of, sound like crap.

Just random thoughts, what do I know?

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings