It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Upgraded Alternator Decoupler Pulley - Recommended by Li
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:22 am 
LOST Newbie

Sadly, after replacing my OAD 7 months ago, the all-too familiar loud noise at idle has returned to my drive/serpentine belt. This is now the fourth time over the last 2.5 years. Here is the history of previous repairs that made the noise go away for a while:

1. November 2012 - Drive belt and tensioner replaced
2. March 2013 - Alternator replaced (I think this may have been the root issue from Nov 2012)
3. July 2014 - OAD replaced with Mopar OEM PN 4861506AG (upgraded Litens 920834)
4. March 2015 - TBD??

My son drove the Jeep in Dallas in freezing temperatures a couple of times over the past week with the A/C on (he thought the A/C button was the defroster). When I got it back last night I immediately noticed the noise again.

Could it be the A/C compressor this time? It's about the only component left on the belt that I haven't already replaced.

Note: prior to the drive belt issues above, the water pump was replaced in November 2011.

Rotella T 5W40, Wix Air Filter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:54 am 
LOST Newbie

crdblazr wrote:
My son drove the Jeep in Dallas in freezing temperatures a couple of times over the past week with the A/C on (he thought the A/C button was the defroster). When I got it back last night I immediately noticed the noise again.

Could it be the A/C compressor this time? It's about the only component left on the belt that I haven't already replaced.

A/C clutch could be a possibility along with the viscous heater clutch. There is a good post on the viscous heater clutch replacement if you do a forum search.

And just so you know, the A/C automatically engages in defrost mode to keep the windows from fogging up, so your son driving with the A/C on would not cause a problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:59 am 
LOST Member

Since my alternator decoupler pulley needs changing badly, I have two questions for you fellas:

1. Is the OEM Part # 53013554AF Alternator Decoupler Pulley (http://www.idparts.com/alternator-decou ... -2781.html) now the same, better, or not as good as the Litens #920834 ? Is it also internally greased and sealed now?

2. Is an Alternator Pulley Bit Set (http://www.idparts.com/alternator-pulle ... -3737.html) required to remove the pulley from the alternator?

Your advice is greatly appreciated. I have read through the threads, but just want to get the better one and am not quite sure. Thanks.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:06 pm 
LOST Addict

1. Don't know
2. You need a tool. There are also instructions to fabricate your own if you search the forum.

...but if you have a local alternator/motor repair shop he can probably source and install the correct pulley for less that you can pick up the pulley alone from ID or any of the national chain stores.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:58 pm 
LOST Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFcPqZuO3A

A good video from Gates.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

If Chrysler read this post, maybe they upgraded their part to the decoupler that Litens recommended, but that is doubtful.

Anyway, for those people with repeat decoupler failures, my first question is, is your fuel pump in time? Mine wasn't for a few years, and I think this was a contributing factor to the two failures I had since the engine appears to run noticeably smoother when the pump is timed correctly. Without it timed my tensioner was always bouncing somewhat, which would put unnecessary wear on the decoupler. With it timed, it bounces no longer.

Last edited by lars0247 on Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Impact wrench works great for removing the pulley

This was the thread for making your own removal tool -
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75841

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:15 pm 
LOST Member

lars0247 wrote:
If Chrysler read this post, maybe they upgraded their part to the decoupler that Litens recommended, but that is doubtful.

Anyway, for those people with repeat decoupler failures, my first question is, is your fuel pump in time? Mine wasn't for a few years, and I think this was a contributing factor to the two failures I had since the engine appears to run noticeably smoother when the pump is timed correctly. Without it timed my tensioner was always bouncing somewhat, which would put unnecessary wear on the decoupler. With it timed, it bounces no longer.

So just to confirm you are running this "updated" littens part with a stock length belt without any problems?

Also seems your video links are secured from public access.

One more thing is I only see the OEM part on IDParts.com but found the part at Advanced for 77.00

thanks

10/17 96K, New Head, Injectors, ARP Studs, HDS T-Stat
04/18 99K, New Reman Trans
09/18 104K, Lift Pump
01/19 106K, OME Lift, Eaton TruTrac LSD in new rebuilt diff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
So just to confirm you are running this "updated" littens part with a stock length belt without any problems?

No problems

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:01 pm 
LOST Member

Day late, and a dollar short.
The OAD pulley just had to last one more day, today, and then the plan was to pull the Jeep into the race shop where all my tools are and replace pulley and all moving parts associated with the serpentine belt. All the parts arrived today from idParts, plus I got a second spare OAD pulley from AdvanceAuto to compare the two.
BUT, the pulley had ideas of its own.
On the way to work this morning it sheet the bed. Couldn't wait one more day.
What a mess.
I only had a few blocks to go to park, but the engine sure sounded nice and quiet again.
And it's going to be cold outside tomorrow and maybe rain. Murphy, you stink!

My recommendation now is that the OAD pulley get changed at least every 100K as a preventative maintenance part.

Mods-please consider adding this recommendation in the Tech section.

geordi- one less thing to do now on your trip.

EHM, MagnaFlow SS Cat Back, FS-2500, HDS 001 TStat, Some Gauges, PML Trans Pan, PML Diff Cover, Marinco Mod, FIA Blanket, Cooper Discoverer ATR 225/75, CTS 245/70, Front-JBA 2.25" C/Os, Rear-OME HD, JBA UCA, SS Brake Lines.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:16 pm 
LOST Member

And took the alternator with it. Ouch$!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Other than the pulley, what part of the alternator broke?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:21 pm 
LOST Member

Probably the bearings. Can't turn the shaft unless I put a wrench on it.
The pulley got so twisted up on itself (inner-outer) that it ate up the front of the alt. while pulling the shaft forward.
Parts of the alt. (metal shards) are imbedded into the rear of the pulley.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:40 pm 
LOST Newbie

vwroad87 wrote:
lars0247 wrote:

Also seems your video links are secured from public access.

One more thing is I only see the OEM part on IDParts.com but found the part at Advanced for 77.00

thanks

No problems whatsoever. Runs nice and smooth, especially with the properly timed fuel pump and new tensioner.

To my knowledge, the upgraded part is not the OEM, unless Litens went and sold these units to Chrysler and got them to upgrade their part. Details are provided in the original posting, but as I recall the part that Litens recommended was from a Toyota platform.

The part I used is 920834 from Advanced Auto. I paid about $75 for it as I recall. It is grease lubricated, where as the original OEM style OADs are not.

The Videos were links given to me by Al Steadman of Litens. Not sure why they don't work now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:39 am 
LOST Junkie

Also available on Amazon for about $60 plus shipping ($7.99 in the US)

Light Khaki 2.8CRD: TJM alloy bumper; Skid Row &Asfir skids;ext. breathers; SAMCO hoses; Grabber At3 235/70/16; Fumoto; Euro TC; Odyssey PC1500;GDE FTEcotune; OME lift; lightforce driving lights;ARB diff cover;nylon fan+Hayden2905;ss vortex exhaust; Airflow snorkel; Frontrunner roofrack; rock rails

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:23 am 
LOST Member

The $77 Litens from Advance Auto and the OEM OAD pulley are not the same.
As mentioned, the aftermarket Litens is 2.5mm smaller in diameter, although it looks to be of a better design regarding the bearing.
55mm vs 57.5mm.
I have not installed either, because I was force to get a new alternator which comes with the pulley already attached.
Wish I would have known that the pulley was a sacrificial service part. Would have saved me an alternator.
Let that be a lesson to me to change the pulley every 75K.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:31 am 
LOST Junkie

I find it strange that the KJ Service Manuals show the procedure on replacing both the standard and the Litens pulley...my Export CRD has the standard pulley...what KJ has ever had the Litens fitted so that the Service Manual shows the procedure to remove it? :?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:59 am 
LOST Newbie

Billwill wrote:
...what KJ has ever had the Litens fitted so that the Service Manual shows the procedure to remove it? :?

I don't recall if my domestic OEM OAD pulley was branded Litens, but it was definitely not a "standard" pulley. It started making a loud racket whenever the a/c compressor would kick on and there was no load on the engine at 122k miles. Somewhere around 125k, I ordered up the pulley recommended in this thread. I used a $30 off $75 coupon on Advance, and one of the locations here in town had it in stock. Sadly, I had to order an OAD tool from Amazon as my 1/2" electric impact wasn't able to get the original pulley off. There went the $30 I saved...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:27 pm 
LOST Junkie

t0rquey wrote:
Sadly, I had to order an OAD tool from Amazon as my 1/2" electric impact wasn't able to get the original pulley off.

Me too.

I posted this solution in the other thread but it could go here too. It may help someone without the tool in a hurry:
I just hammered in some washers and crushed the end in a vise. Then turn the 10mm hex clockwise.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I recently ordered a Gates 37015P Alternator Decoupler Pulley on Amazon.ca for CA$74 delivered/taxes in. The item in the box was the Litens 920834. It came with instructions and a new dust cap.
:BANANA:
I'm glad I changed it. At 250,000 km it was ready to self-destruct.
Thanks to all the previous posters.