It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: 545RFE, harsh 2 to 3 upshift fix?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:43 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have had an ongoing problem with a harsh 2 to 3 upshift. I can put the transmission in learn mode, and it will shift great for about the first 150 miles of city driving, and then the 2 to 3 upshift will get worse and worse, almost be like there is a bind, which gets worse to the point it feels like you are hitting the brakes momentarily when the shift occurs.

I have read every old post I can find here, and while a number of people have stated they have this problem, I am yet to see someone say they fixed something that finally solved it. Please advise if you know what the fix is. Thank you.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The harsh 2 to 3 shift has been fixed. I replaced the transmission (by myself) with a 545RFE from a 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi with 44K miles from Ebay. Paid only $480 with shipping. Gone is the bind, clunk, and harshness. I used the Hemi torque converter that came with it, and it really drives alot nicer with much better fluid coupling than the Euro version had. It is actually fun to drive this Jeep again. I might tear down the old unit to see if I can find the problem. I suspect worn clutches, that the TCM could no longer properly compensate for. We may see at some point.

For anyone else having this problem, changing the transmission really is not that hard but it is quite large and heavy, so you will need a proper jack to raise and lower it. I did it on a creeper, using a scissor type transmission jack. You just need a long set of swivel extensions so you can tilt the transmission downward to access the the bell-housing bolts.

Last edited by lars0247 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 545RFE, harsh 2 to 3 upshift fix?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:18 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

IN another forum, a member replaced their TPS sensor on the 545rfe and the problem went away.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Does anyone know how to test the TPS (accelerator pedal position sensor)? The factory manual shows how to replace it, but not testing it to see if its bad.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

My tranny has the same issue. Been doing it for about 15k miles. I have changed fluid and both filters. Replaced the solenoid pack as well with no difference. I have also found that the quick learn will make it go away for a while.

My TPS is original. I have autoenginuity and can monitor my TPS and it reads fine.

The funny thing is that some days it shifts great and other days it shifts hard as hell.

I am just waiting for something to really break, so I can figure out what is causing this. It drives me crazy. If you find a solution, please post it.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I forget, but does the TC lock up between 2nd and 3rd?

I had the same issue before my transmission was replaced by the dealer.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:
I forget, but does the TC lock up between 2nd and 3rd?

I had the same issue before my transmission was replaced by the dealer.

No, the TC only locks-up in 4th and above unless the OD switch is off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

ebbnflow wrote:
My tranny has the same issue. Been doing it for about 15k miles. I have changed fluid and both filters. Replaced the solenoid pack as well with no difference. I have also found that the quick learn will make it go away for a while.

My TPS is original. I have autoenginuity and can monitor my TPS and it reads fine.

The funny thing is that some days it shifts great and other days it shifts hard as hell.

I am just waiting for something to really break, so I can figure out what is causing this. It drives me crazy. If you find a solution, please post it.

Here is what I have done;

1. Replaced fluid and filters
2. Replaced input speed, output speed, and pressure sensors on the transmission.
3. Adjusted the transmission cable
4. Swapped out the transmission control module.
5. Found that in #1, I overfilled the tranny, so I pump out some of the fluid, and relearned the transmission.
6. Repaired the transmission wiring harness that was being abraded by the beauty cover on top of the engine, and clearanced the beauty cover so this does not happen again.

#6 was done recently, so I don't know if the problem will come back. I'd replace the entire trans if I knew this would fix it, but frankly, I'm not confident it would because it shifts great after being quick learned. I also have Auto Enginuity, and I graphed the outputs from the two pedal position sensors, and found they mostly track in lock-step, but don't if the pedal is moved quickly. I'm going to investigate this further.

Also, I drove it quite a bit with the AE scanner connected, and found the line pressure would sometimes spike for no reason, and on some of the rough shifts, the line pressure dropped out momentarily during the shift. I don't know if this normal or not, but could also have something to do with it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

Wow! It sounds like you've done a lot more due diligence than I have. I didn't realize there are 2 TPS sensors. I've only looked at 1 with AE and only with the jeep in the garage. It seemed to track well, so I didn't look at it any further. What is the other TPS called in AE?

I've always been suspect of my front pump as I still have a drain back issue on some occasions. I wish I had replaced it when I put in my Euro TC. I did add the parts from the Transgo kit when I had the tranny out, but this did not fix my drain back issue. Have you upgraded your front pump?

I also replaced my drive shaft u joints and it did not help.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What about the gear oil in the diff's, when was that changed last?

After I replaced the fluids and cleaned out the crud at the bottom of the diffs my drive line noise went away and so did a shimmy shake that occurred at speeds above 55.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:47 pm 
LOST Junkie

I also replaced front and rear diff fluid. Didn't make it any better.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 pm 
LOST Addict

I have a similar issue, at about 20 mph, if I slightly accelerate, especially down hill, it shifts to 3rd with a slight noise, like something is loose somewhere. I had replaced both u joints from the rear shaft and the noise and harsh feel went away I'd say about 80%. Both before and after u joints replacement, accelerating normal, let's say quarter pedal press, the harsh shift and noise was not existent. My transfer case u joint had some play, but the rear was as good as new. Does those symptoms sound similar with what you guys experience?

Btw, the rear Diff oil had always been Lucas non synthetic 85w140, mounts are almost new, tranny and transfer case fluids are about 25k old, but the symptoms had been always the same.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:42 pm 
LOST Member

Did either of you install the resistor that came with the Transgo shift kit? If so remove it. The resistor is in the transmission pressure sensor circuit and fools the TCM to allow higher fluid pressures. When I installed my shift kit several years ago I too sometimes had extremely hard 2-3 upshifts. I called Transgo and they said to remove the resistor. After doing that the harsh 2-3 shift went away.

1992 Dodge Stealth RT Twin Turbo Pearl White/Black Leather
2008 Kubota GR2110 Diesel
2006 Key West 186 Sportsman w/135HP Honda OB
1943 Farmall H Restored

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

I did not install the resistor included with the transgo kit.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:50 pm 
LOST Addict

Mine hasn't have the transgo installed yet, I just replaced my tranny oil and shortly after I swapped with a Suncoast. I've heard about not using the resistor, and I don't plan on installing it. The "harshness" had been present since I got the jeep în 2010.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

ebbnflow wrote:

They are called Pedal Position 1 and Pedal Position 2 on the drop down in the Enhanced Powertrain Menu. I bought this vehicle used, and found out from Jeep that the torque converter was replaced about 60K miles ago under a recall. I assume the pump is original. The line pressures seem to run at 120psig and then taper off to 50 psig under normal cruising. It did notice what seemed to be pressure intermittent pressure spikes (from 50psig to 120psig) for no apparent reason when cruising at about 30 mph. I will continue to investigate this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I do not have a Transgo kit installed, and no pressure boosting resistor either.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

thermorex wrote:
I have a similar issue, at about 20 mph, if I slightly accelerate, especially down hill, it shifts to 3rd with a slight noise, like something is loose somewhere. I had replaced both u joints from the rear shaft and the noise and harsh feel went away I'd say about 80%. Both before and after u joints replacement, accelerating normal, let's say quarter pedal press, the harsh shift and noise was not existent. My transfer case u joint had some play, but the rear was as good as new. Does those symptoms sound similar with what you guys experience?

Btw, the rear Diff oil had always been Lucas non synthetic 85w140, mounts are almost new, tranny and transfer case fluids are about 25k old, but the symptoms had been always the same.

The symptoms are different than driveline clunk. It is more like a bind during the 2 to 3 upshift which feels like a quick, but firm tap of the brake pedal. It is abrupt and jarring, and quite annoying, hence my persistence in attempting to solve it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:56 pm 
LOST Addict

lars0247 wrote:
thermorex wrote:

The symptoms are different than driveline clunk. It is more like a bind during the 2 to 3 upshift which feels like a quick, but firm tap of the brake pedal. It is abrupt and jarring, and quite annoying, hence my persistence in attempting to solve it.

Got it, thanks. It sort of sounds like I experienced, but the only difference is that the quick tap of the brake pedal is very smooth in my case. What puzzles me is that it only happens when shifting 2nd to 3rd, driveline noise should be present when shifting from 1st to 2nd also. I wonder if this is related somehow with 2nd and 2nd prime that 545rfe has... Shouldn't, but I can't find another logical explanation yet...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:57 am 
LOST Junkie

lars0247 wrote:
ebbnflow wrote:

They are called Pedal Position 1 and Pedal Position 2 on the drop down in the Enhanced Powertrain Menu. I bought this vehicle used, and found out from Jeep that the torque converter was replaced about 60K miles ago under a recall. I assume the pump is original. The line pressures seem to run at 120psig and then taper off to 50 psig under normal cruising. It did notice what seemed to be pressure intermittent pressure spikes (from 50psig to 120psig) for no apparent reason when cruising at about 30 mph. I will continue to investigate this.

I never looked in enhanced powertrain. The one I used is called Throttle Position in the Transmission Control Module. It reads in degrees and goes from 0-90.

I will log some data of throttle position and trans fluid pressure and see if we have any similarities.

Does yours shift hard from 2-3 all the time? Mine seems to do it about 80% of the time. There are a few days where it shifts great and most days it is harsh.

Also here are my CVI values:

Underdrive - 42
Overdrive - 57
LR - 68
2-4 - 44

I am curious if yours are similar since the quick learn which resets these can eliminate our symptoms for a bit.

Can you quick learn with your AE? I have version 9.1 which has the test, but it fails whenever I try to run it. I've taken my CRD to a tranny shop twice and their snapon scanner can do it for $40 a pop. That got old real fast.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

ebbnflow wrote:
lars0247 wrote:
ebbnflow wrote:

I never looked in enhanced powertrain. The one I used is called Throttle Position in the Transmission Control Module. It reads in degrees and goes from 0-90.

I will log some data of throttle position and trans fluid pressure and see if we have any similarities.

Does yours shift hard from 2-3 all the time? Mine seems to do it about 80% of the time. There are a few days where it shifts great and most days it is harsh.

Also here are my CVI values:
Underdrive - 42
Overdrive - 57
LR - 68
2-4 - 44

I am curious if yours are similar since the quick learn which resets these can eliminate our symptoms for a bit.

Can you quick learn with your AE? I have version 9.1 which has the test, but it fails whenever I try to run it. I've taken my CRD to a tranny shop twice and their snapon scanner can do it for $40 a pop. That got old real fast.

It does it most of the time once it gets bad. 80% to 90% is probably a fair estimate.

I have version 12.1 of AE, and it will put the transmission into learn mode on my 2005. My CVI values when shifting good are as follows;

Underdrive - 55
Overdrive - 52
LR - 76
2-4 - 76
2C - 50

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next