It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: 545RFE, harsh 2 to 3 upshift fix?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:27 am 
LOST Member

my hash shift went to a slip
my overdrive is shot.
turn your overdrive off with the button on the shifter, see if that bad shift goes away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

lars0247 wrote:
I have had an ongoing problem with a harsh 2 to 3 upshift. I can put the transmission in learn mode, and it will shift great for about the first 150 miles of city driving, and then the 2 to 3 upshift will get worse and worse, almost be like there is a bind, which gets worse to the point it feels like you are hitting the brakes momentarily when the shift occurs.

I have read every old post I can find here, and while a number of people have stated they have this problem, I am yet to see someone say they fixed something that finally solved it. Please advise if you know what the fix is. Thank you.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The harsh 2 to 3 shift has been fixed. I replaced the transmission (by myself) with a 545RFE from a 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi with 44K miles from Ebay. Paid only $480 with shipping. Gone is the bind, clunk, and harshness. I used the Hemi torque converter that came with it, and it really drives alot nicer with much better fluid coupling than the Euro version had. It is actually fun to drive this Jeep again. I might tear down the old unit to see if I can find the problem. I suspect worn clutches, that the TCM could no longer properly compensate for. We may see at some point.

For anyone else having this problem, changing the transmission really is not that hard but it is quite large and heavy, so you will need a proper jack to raise and lower it. I did it on a creeper, using a scissor type transmission jack. You just need a long set of swivel extensions so you can tilt the transmission downward to access the the bell-housing bolts.

Hi Lars! Im thinking about purchasing the same transmission from the same year and vehicle that you got yours from. I found it on Ebay and it has a 3 year warranty and it cost a lot more than yours did ($1900). I just want to know how yours is doing after 3 years of driving it?

Thank You
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 am 
LOST Newbie

steeler8643 wrote:
lars0247 wrote:
I have had an ongoing problem with a harsh 2 to 3 upshift. I can put the transmission in learn mode, and it will shift great for about the first 150 miles of city driving, and then the 2 to 3 upshift will get worse and worse, almost be like there is a bind, which gets worse to the point it feels like you are hitting the brakes momentarily when the shift occurs.

I have read every old post I can find here, and while a number of people have stated they have this problem, I am yet to see someone say they fixed something that finally solved it. Please advise if you know what the fix is. Thank you.

PROBLEM SOLVED!

The harsh 2 to 3 shift has been fixed. I replaced the transmission (by myself) with a 545RFE from a 2009 Dodge Ram 5.7L hemi with 44K miles from Ebay. Paid only $480 with shipping. Gone is the bind, clunk, and harshness. I used the Hemi torque converter that came with it, and it really drives alot nicer with much better fluid coupling than the Euro version had. It is actually fun to drive this Jeep again. I might tear down the old unit to see if I can find the problem. I suspect worn clutches, that the TCM could no longer properly compensate for. We may see at some point.

For anyone else having this problem, changing the transmission really is not that hard but it is quite large and heavy, so you will need a proper jack to raise and lower it. I did it on a creeper, using a scissor type transmission jack. You just need a long set of swivel extensions so you can tilt the transmission downward to access the the bell-housing bolts.

Hi Lars! Im thinking about purchasing the same transmission from the same year and vehicle that you got yours from. I found it on Ebay and it has a 3 year warranty and it cost a lot more than yours did ($1900). I just want to know how yours is doing after 3 years of driving it?

Thank You
Bob

It works great. No issues since the replacement of the transmission.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:59 am 
LOST Newbie

lars0247 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
lars0247 wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank You
Bob

Thanks Lars, you just made my day. From all that i've seen there really is no other way to fix this problem and I'm glad that your tranny has held up and gives me confidence to buy one,even at 1900 dollars, and follow in your footsteps. I have 2 CRD's and only the one of them has the tranny problem...i know its expensive but hopefully it will be worth it and i will put a million miles on each one of these little diesels!

Thanks,
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1900 seems high to me for a used tranny.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:51 am 
LOST Newbie

racertracer wrote:

I never said it was cheap but if you can tell me where to get one way cheaper with a 3 year warranty i would appreciate it.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:21 am 

steeler8643 wrote:
racertracer wrote:

I never said it was cheap but if you can tell me where to get one way cheaper with a 3 year warranty i would appreciate it.
Thanks
Bob

Try LKQ, they may have some in your area for less money?
They are a good company and guarantee their parts.
http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/Inventory-Search

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

WWDiesel wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
racertracer wrote:

Thanks
Bob

Try LKQ, they may have some in your area for less money?
They are a good company and guarantee their parts.
http://www.lkqcorp.com/en-us/Inventory-Search

Thanks I found 2 of them just like the one Lars has and they are $2026 and there is still a core fee and shipping costs...I'm not sure if there is a warranty either.
Im gonna dump some Lucas Tranny fix in mine right now and see if it helps.

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If your rebuilt transmission comes with a warranty that includes free pick-up of the broken transmission, and free delivery charge for the replacement transmission and the company pays for the re-installation labor of the new replacement, then you have a great deal.

If not then, is it worth it?

I'd fInd a $300.00 to $400.00 used tranny from a low mileage donor Hemi Ram at a used parts yard and reuse the heavy duty Hemi torq converter it came with and have the tranny installed by a local quality transmission shop.
fine
If the used transmission from the parts yard takes a dive, then the replacement cost will be another $900 for parts and labor. And from what everyone who's done it this way is saying, ... they are running fine with no issues.

:2cents:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:30 pm 

Have you priced having it rebuilt by a transmission shop?
Price to rebuild may be cheaper than some of the prices quoted... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

lars0247 wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Do you know if a 2011 DODGE RAM 1500 TRANSMISSION AUTOMATIC 5.7L HEMI 4X4 would bolt up?

Thanks
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:46 am 
LOST Junkie

steeler8643 wrote:
lars0247 wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Do you know if a 2011 DODGE RAM 1500 TRANSMISSION AUTOMATIC 5.7L HEMI 4X4 would bolt up?

Thanks
Bob

I used a 2011 and had to swap the valve body due to the newer one causing limp mode and the transfer case adapter was different, so I had to use the original one. I believe up to 2010 is a direct swap.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:20 am 
LOST Addict

lars0247 wrote:
steeler8643 wrote:
lars0247 wrote:

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thank You
Bob

No TCM required eh? I'd like to start a list of the years that work for this. I know one other person, Josh, who will hopefully tell us what year he used. I thought it was 07 with the TCM, but did he need the TCM?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Adding this to both threads that helped me: Just noting that here's another terribly hard 2-3 shift that was fixed by swapping TCM. Now I'll put the GDE tuned TCM back in and try a quick learn, I sure miss GDE'S shift points, but don't miss the whiplash, it was ridiculous!

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:26 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:
Adding this to both threads that helped me: Just noting that here's another terribly hard 2-3 shift that was fixed by swapping TCM. Now I'll put the GDE tuned TCM back in and try a quick learn, I sure miss GDE'S shift points, but don't miss the whiplash, it was ridiculous!

Give it a week or two. It will come back.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:37 pm 
LOST Addict

I'll report back if it does. I'll swap in a known good solenoid pack, and valve body with the transgo kit if it does. That should handle it as it doesn't have enough miles to be worn, and the pump is newer. I think of you've swapped all of that and it doesn't work then it has to do with the ecu, but I know my ecu worked properly with the old transmission I replaced. But maybe it's the combination of control units and I gave away my original tcu :banghead:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I have a question, would the original ECU that was part of the donor RAM truck work in the CRD?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:49 pm 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:
I'll report back if it does. I'll swap in a known good solenoid pack, and valve body with the transgo kit if it does. That should handle it as it doesn't have enough miles to be worn, and the pump is newer. I think of you've swapped all of that and it doesn't work then it has to do with the ecu, but I know my ecu worked properly with the old transmission I replaced. But maybe it's the combination of control units and I gave away my original tcu :banghead:

A new Solenoid Pack did not fix my 2-3 hard shift. A quick learn made it shift great for a few days to a week, then it would come back. A replacement transmission and torque converter is what fixed it for me. In hind sight, I think mine had burnt up clutches causing the CV values to creep up and cause the hard shift. The quick learn would reset those values, it would shift OK for a while and the cycle repeats.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:53 pm 
LOST Junkie

racertracer wrote:
I have a question, would the original ECU that was part of the donor RAM truck work in the CRD?

It would not be plug and play. Maybe if you could flash it with CRD firmware.

RUNNING B100
Pic of my Jeep!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:01 am 
LOST Addict

ebbnflow wrote:
racertracer wrote:

It would not be plug and play. Maybe if you could flash it with CRD firmware.

But all of the tcm's are plug and play?

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next