It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for obd app for iphone
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:35 pm 
LOST Member

Can anyone give any advice on which obd app to use for iphone? Just read a great article about the torque pro app which seems only available on android. Got my ELM 327 adapter ready to go and I'd like to hear about other people's experiences before I go about experimenting with the options in the app store. Thanks a lot.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

Post subject: Re: Looking for obd app for iphone
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

EngineLink works with the wifi ELM. Bluetooth ELM doesn't work with the iPhone; they didn't pay the works with iPhone fee.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

DashCmd is good.
OBDScanner second

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:39 pm 
LOST Member

One65 wrote:
DashCmd is good.
OBDScanner second

Yes, Dashcommand is probably as good as it gets for iphone. Since the price dropped from $50 :shock: it is now much more reasonable.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Another idea, find an older Android phone which you (or a nice friend or family member) is no longer using, and use that as a dedicated OBD App phone. You do not need a sim card in it. Download the app over Wifi and you're set.

I still currently use Android, but for my Samurai the speedometer is off, so I use my old phone for a GPS speedometer.

Also, when using a full time app like Torque or a speedometer app, it is annoying if you have to actually use your phone while driving, albeit handsfree of course.

Good luck!
8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:50 pm 
LOST Member

Oh how I love forums! Leeann I had no idea bluetooth obd wouldn't work for iphone, thanks for that. And infernicus that is one hell of an idea! Thanks for the input everyone.

In action on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oCq4Xa1lH4

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

I actually bought a $40 Android tablet to use with the Bluetooth ELM. Gives me a nice big screen to look at the stuff on.

But you're welcome - I only found out after I'd gotten the ELM in hand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 pm 
LOST Addict

Yea, agree totally, an old previous phone is maybe the cheapest Gps or obd2 tool in the market.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got DashCommander and EngineLink and neither will show me anything except RPM. Could my GDE tune be causing this??

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:31 pm 
LOST Addict

No, you're using the wrong protocol. You need to manually select ISO 9141-2. If your device won't allow you to manually select then you're SOL.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

I got this one. Might be the wrong type? I got it for use on another car anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3K ... UTF8&psc=1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:41 pm 
LOST Member

I use dashcommander and obdlink with my I5s phone.

0w40 oil
Mostly stock
Diesel's are towing machines

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:57 pm 
LOST Member

rob40wilson03 wrote:
I got this one. Might be the wrong type? I got it for use on another car anyway.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B3K ... UTF8&psc=1

I bought the same one and can't get it to connect to the ECU. So I then bought the cheap Bluetooth one to use with my $40 android tablet. Doesn't work because the android version my tablet is running is too new. The adapter needs 4.xxx. So I decided I wanted to get it working on my iPhone. The EngineLink website recommends the LElink Bluetooth adapter for iPhone. It is low energy Bluetooth and doesn't require pairing. It just arrived today and I've been playing with it. It works great for five minutes and then the app dashboard readings freeze. The app isn't frozen, just the signal from the ECU. It sticks on the last reading. And a few times the rpm continued to function but the other readings froze. Restarting the app fixed it half the time. Other times it just resets the readings to zero and never updates. One minute I think the OBD port on the car is not in the greatest of shape and is the problem, then the symptoms point to the app. I don't know what to check or how to check it. I am going to try to install the older android version on my tablet but still want to get it working on the iPhone.

Is it difficult/expensive to replace the OBD port on the car?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:44 am 
LOST Addict

Quote:
The app isn't frozen, just the signal from the ECU.

Thats "situation normal" for anything plugged into the OBD port on a CRD.

I use the TorquePro app with my android tablet and with a few changes to app settings I've managed to keep the data flowing for 30 minutes (or longer) at times.
Basically, I slowed down the data read speed. Which consequently slows down the response time from the sensors.
So, I dont get instant response from the sensors but I'm able to keep the app running for longer periods of time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:22 am 
LOST Member

I found the detailed answer to my question in an old thread on Scangauge.

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11476&start=0

"When DCX designed the Liberty they used an ISO9141-2 body computer for the diagnostics. When they added the Italian diesel option, it had its own ISO9141-2 controller for diagnostics so they connected the two together. This is not allowed on ISO9141-2. They almost pulled it off, but then on one of the controllers they put in a software bug that causes one of them to go to sleep after a while. This is why part of the data stops. The only way to wake it up is to re-initialize the controller, but the ScanGaugeII will not do this unless the RPM stops being reported. This is needed so it will know when to go to sleep itself."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:46 pm 
LOST Addict

npkdm wrote:

"When DCX designed the Liberty they used an ISO9141-2 body computer for the diagnostics. When they added the Italian diesel option, it had its own ISO9141-2 controller for diagnostics so they connected the two together. This is not allowed on ISO9141-2. They almost pulled it off, but then on one of the controllers they put in a software bug that causes one of them to go to sleep after a while. This is why part of the data stops. The only way to wake it up is to re-initialize the controller, but the ScanGaugeII will not do this unless the RPM stops being reported. This is needed so it will know when to go to sleep itself."

This is also supposedly why some people get a slamming downshift when streaming data to Torque. I guess if that module isnt allowed to turn off when it wants too it gets pissed off.

This thing really is a work of art.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:57 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
npkdm wrote:

This is also supposedly why some people get a slamming downshift when streaming data to Torque. I guess if that module isnt allowed to turn off when it wants too it gets pissed off.

This thing really is a work of art.

I just now noticed your post. I have just experienced the slamming downshift using OBD Fusion