It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Engine missing with a/conditioner on!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Has anybody had this problem started a couple of days ago when I turn the a/c on the engine misses about every 5 or 10 seconds fine with out a/c on any help or advise would be very much appreciated

Post subject: Re: Engine missing with a/conditioner on!!
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Touf1973 wrote:
Has anybody had this problem started a couple of days ago when I turn the a/c on the engine misses about every 5 or 10 seconds fine with out a/c on any help or advise would be very much appreciated

Sounds like a wiring problem.....this could be fun.

Try pull off the connector to the aircon clutch so that all the electrics are enabled when you turn ON the air con but the clutch will not engage obviously....see if you still get the problem.

I had a problem that when I turned on the aircon the voltage across the battery would rise up to 17 volts at which stage the ECM shuts down the engine....this was a wiring problem that I managed to track down as well as about 5 other wiring problems. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

While it could be wiring and an actual engine miss there is, perhaps, another alternative. AC clutch engagement and alternator pulley action can cause weird thing/feelings if the alternator pulley is shot or going out. Take a look at the front of the alternator pulley, may have to pop a plastic dust cover, is there lots of red dust? Then crank up in idle and run both with and without AC, may need to remove plastic engine cover; look down from the alternator side to the serpentine tensioner; is the tensioner dancing around as opposed to barely twitching? If either or both conditions are true your alternator pullley is shot and what you feel as a miss is actually "shocks" to the serpentine belt system as the AC clutch and alternator kick in/out.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys I did notice the day it started that the electric fan stayed on for about 5 seconds after switching the engine of wich I found strange just seems like one thing after another with this car just managed to sort the air in the fuel and driving nice now this ill have to dig into it deeper today and try sorting it out just so expensive to buy parts for the crd on this side of the world I'm from Australia here's a good one for you rang the dealer ship asked for a price on a air inlet hose think mine might need changing $249 from here ordered one from USA mopar site $44 with about $40 freight big difference where will I find the a/c clutch connected is it easy to get to ???

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:18 am 
LOST Junkie

Touf1973 wrote:
Thanks guys I did notice the day it started that the electric fan stayed on for about 5 seconds after switching the engine of wich I found strange just seems like one thing after another with this car just managed to sort the air in the fuel and driving nice now this ill have to dig into it deeper today and try sorting it out just so expensive to buy parts for the crd on this side of the world I'm from Australia here's a good one for you rang the dealer ship asked for a price on a air inlet hose think mine might need changing $249 from here ordered one from USA mopar site $44 with about $40 freight big difference where will I find the a/c clutch connected is it easy to get to ???

You can rather pull out the the Air Con relay from the box under the hood.

I agree with papaindigo that you need to have a good look at the serpentine belt as the AC kicks in. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:25 am 
LOST Newbie

Went out today and was going to get to the bottom of it and it wouldn't do it ran fine don't know what's going on might have been electrical if so I'm sure it will be back but hope not

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Touf1973 wrote:
Went out today and was going to get to the bottom of it and it wouldn't do it ran fine don't know what's going on might have been electrical if so I'm sure it will be back but hope not

Maybe the fuel filter is plugging, and that little extra load was enough to make the engine misfire?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 am 
LOST Addict

You might just be feeling the AC compressor cycling. It will do this based on cooling demand and head pressure, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GreenDieselEngineering wrote:
You might just be feeling the AC compressor cycling. It will do this based on cooling demand and head pressure, etc.

I was thinking the same thing, but I only get this at an idle in the winter with the defrost on? With the cooling it is almost a steady load? Maybe he is low on freon, and it is short cycling?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys what I did notice don't know if it is normally like that but the a/c clutch was kicking in and out every 4 seconds for a while never really noticed it before !!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:06 pm 
LOST Junkie

have your ac high and low side pressures checked then...