It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: question, dirty fuel filter and fuel efficiency impact?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:25 pm 
LOST Member

Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm not a mechanic). I am about to change the fuel filter soon since I don't have any idea when/if it was changed by the PO (judging by the air filter condition, I doubt it has been changed any time recently). I also run higher blends of biodiesel as well, so it is likely getting caked up with some stuff from the tank and fuel system.

My question is, I have been seeing lower and lower MPGs lately. That is partly due to lots of short trips (but I have also never been happy with the 26-27 max hwy that I have gotten). I'm assuming any kind of fuel restriction impacts MPGs, is that the case for a dirty fuel filter also?

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

Post subject: Re: question, dirty fuel filter and fuel efficiency impact?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Hi all, sorry if this is a stupid question (I'm not a mechanic). I am about to change the fuel filter soon since I don't have any idea when/if it was changed by the PO (judging by the air filter condition, I doubt it has been changed any time recently). I also run higher blends of biodiesel as well, so it is likely getting caked up with some stuff from the tank and fuel system.

My question is, I have been seeing lower and lower MPGs lately. That is partly due to lots of short trips (but I have also never been happy with the 26-27 max hwy that I have gotten). I'm assuming any kind of fuel restriction impacts MPGs, is that the case for a dirty fuel filter also?

How aggressive are the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16 tires? I run a the OE Wranglers on the work horse, and Michelin Highway AS on the garage queen. It gets me a couple MPG extra.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:42 pm 
LOST Member

flman wrote:
How aggressive are the Yokohama Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16 tires? I run a the OE Wranglers on the work horse, and Michelin Highway AS on the garage queen. It gets me a couple MPG extra.

flman, they're D-load rated, max pressure of 60psi. I usually keep them around 50 or high 40s for driveability. I suppose if I factored in 2-3 mpgs lost due to tires, I might be closer to the range I would hope for. I'm still not entirely convinced that is all that's going on though. Check out my fuelly for some detailed logs of my driving since purchasing in PA and driving cross country back to CA.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Things that will hurt your fuel mileage:

Dirty air filter
Dirty fuel filter
High % biodiesel
Large heavy tires
Lead foot

BTW, I average 27 mpg, city/highway, every day.
I'd say your doing pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:35 am 
LOST Member

flash7210 wrote:

Dirty air filter
Dirty fuel filter
High % biodiesel
Large heavy tires
Lead foot

Air filter, changed. Fuel filter next. Believe it or not, I've had higher fuel efficiency on B100 then on D2. It doesn't make sense to me but its happened frequently enough.

If I had 27 mpg mixed city/highway, I'd be thrilled. My mixed driving is usually in the low 20s. 27 was my all time max, driving all highway across the USA, when I would have liked closer to 30.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

flash7210 wrote:

Dirty air filter
Dirty fuel filter
High % biodiesel
Large heavy tires
Lead foot

Brakes sticking?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:11 pm 
LOST Member

flman wrote:
flash7210 wrote:

Dirty air filter
Dirty fuel filter
High % biodiesel
Large heavy tires
Lead foot

Brakes sticking?

What's the easiest way to check for that? Jack it up and spin each wheel in neutral?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:14 pm 
LOST Addict

Starting with cold brake rotors, drive a mile or two and coast to a stop without using ANY brakes, and put your finger on the rotors. Mine are warm :banghead:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:22 pm 
LOST Member

Mountainman wrote:
Starting with cold brake rotors, drive a mile or two and coast to a stop without using ANY brakes, and put your finger on the rotors. Mine are warm :banghead:

Hmm. That is very hard to do in an urban area. Any other suggestions on how to test? I do suspect I might be getting some rubbing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:12 pm 
LOST Addict

SFHLibertyCRD wrote:
Mountainman wrote:

Ă
Hmm. That is very hard to do in an urban area. Any other suggestions on how to test? I do suspect I might be getting some rubbing.

Get to an empty parking lot or wait till evening, I have a street nearby I live with a 35 mph limit, after 8 PM there are probably 20 cars in an hour driving there.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Mountainman wrote:

Remove the rubber sleeves that are on the lower pin (I think) in the caliper, since I did that I had no issues with brakes. You may hear some noises every now and then but not a big deal. Also, grease the pins very well with ceramic grease (it's usually purple) that thing does not dry and also is not washed by water as easy.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.