It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacement Turbo choices
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:16 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks like I'll be looking for a turbo soon. The OEM Garrett seems to be running $1000+ but I noticed there are replacements on eBay and several part houses that offer a replacement for $600. Anyone have any troubles with the non-Garrett turbos?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Replacement Turbo choices
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

The bolt pattern for our turbos are crd specific. I don't think any other turbo manufacturers make a turbo with our bolt pattern. Garrett/ Honeywell/ AiResearch have been in business making gas turbines for years. Turbos share the exact same principals as gas turbines. That being said I would bet Garrett has the best engineers/ mettalurgists, and researchers designing and building these. You'd be amazed at the theories and studies done on just the bearings.

I'm in the process of converting over to a ball bearing non-vnt turbo. I lose the wide powerband a vnt turbo creates, but I gain a big winner for me, simple. No vacuum lines, no vanes to be plugged up, no electronics, just a simple plain turbo.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:00 pm 
LOST Member

When I get to the point of needing a turbo replacement I plan on going with the GDE turbo kit. More money but I will have a reason to do it once my turbo goes bad. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't need a new turbo for at least a year or two though. So far I'm broke after buying a new set of tires and getting my lift.

Front sits 23
Rear sits 22 3/4
265 75 16 Maxxis Big Horn MT
GDE Hot Tune
Bumper trimming up front

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:55 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
The only replacement options are the genuine Garrett or the turbo from GDE. There are NO other manufacturers that I have heard about that are making anything that will fit.

Rebuilt vnt turbos are not successful because of balance issues (they cannot be properly balanced for the precision they need to spin at 125000 rpm or more) and our turbos DO NOT have a wastegate. Most of the underpriced options on eBay are either incorrect or Chinese knockoffs.

The genuine article is brand new and costs around $1200. No core charge and no core return. Any changes to these terms means there is a problem and what you are buying is not correct in some way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks geordi, I was wondering if these could be rebuilt. I don't trust the Chinese knockoffs because of all the shortcuts they take. I wish there were more options to these engines!

Last edited by jtz54 on Fri May 16, 2014 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:12 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just saw a rebuild kit on eBay. Supposedly comes with a balanced turbine assembly that is balanced to 150K rpm. If this replaces the insides of the turbo and is properly balanced don't see why it wouldn't work?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
It could, if the center cartridge has been properly balanced... I don't know that I would trust anyone on eBay however. Be careful and avoid any flavor of china for the source.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

geordi wrote:
The only replacement options are the genuine Garrett or the turbo from GDE. There are NO other manufacturers that I have heard about that are making anything that will fit.

The genuine article is brand new and costs around $1200. No core charge and no core return. Any changes to these terms means there is a problem and what you are buying is not correct in some way.

What Garrett turbo is a direct replacement for a stock CRD one? The GT3788r?

06 CRD - Hayden 2905 fan clutch, GDE Hot Tune, Elephant hose mod and Maf unplugged, ATS stage 2 Trans and multi disc converter with Co Pilot done, GDE Trans Tune, Rock Father 3" lift, Bilstein struts and shocks, JBA Cut CV axle on short side, JBA rear axle upper control arm adjustment bracket, 235/85/r16 Laredo Tires

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:18 pm 
LOST Addict

Pokoki wrote:
geordi wrote:

I believe it is the GT2056V

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
Pokoki wrote:
geordi wrote:

I believe it is the GT2056V

Thanks! Just found the same part number

06 CRD - Hayden 2905 fan clutch, GDE Hot Tune, Elephant hose mod and Maf unplugged, ATS stage 2 Trans and multi disc converter with Co Pilot done, GDE Trans Tune, Rock Father 3" lift, Bilstein struts and shocks, JBA Cut CV axle on short side, JBA rear axle upper control arm adjustment bracket, 235/85/r16 Laredo Tires

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

Garrett VNT-2060VB
OE P/N: 5142797AC
Garrett P/N: 763360-5001

I can get you a brand new one for $1,085 + $35 ground shipping.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 11:56 pm 
LOST Newbie

Anyone heard of turbochargerpros.com ? They offer remanufactured, OEM and their own brand. Guaranteed to fit with a one year warranty for $645 new or $545 reman.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:29 am 
LOST Newbie

Sent my original turbo to G-Pop Shop in Arkansas. OEM Garrett kit rebuild and balance for way less than $1,000. 6,000+ miles and running strong.

www.gopopshop.com

1993 GMC Sierra SLE K3500 6.5L 228K and clicking away

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:01 pm 
LOST Newbie

I purchased a rebuilt turbo from XS Boost about 25,000 miles ago, less than half of new and couldn't be happier with the results.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:01 am 
LOST Addict

That gopop link goes to a site that sells cell phones.

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 10:04 am 
LOST Addict

I looked at various rebuilt options, and I'm a cheap sensored word, but ultimately I decided it's not worth the risk of destroying a $5k engine (more like $7k if you have to pay for install), for 5-$600 in "savings". Weeks101 has the best price around. Go new OEM and sleep well :2cents:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 pm 
LOST Addict

What about the reliability of the GDE choice, and who makes that turbo?

The way I recall Kieth explaining it to me, it is totally superior to the O.E.M. turbo. If I recall correctly, (and sometimes I have to wonder :roll: ), the GDE unit is smaller and therefore spools up much faster, therefore giving you a better hit at low RPMs. The kicker is that it also spools up to a higher RPM, giving you a better hit at high RPMs as well. The variable vanes or venturi are/is electrically controlled, thus eliminating problems that vacuum actuated variable components cause.

What have you fellows heard?

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

That turbo is a gt1749 I believe. Has the same size compressor wheel with a smaller turbine wheel. Like you said it let's it spin up faster to deliver more air. The electronically controlled ones have issues just like the vacuum actuated ones, stripped gears, frayed wires etc. I would rather have the electronic one any day over the vacuum.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

The GDE one is a Garrett GT1756V. Used on the VM engines from 2008-2011 model years in Europe. It uses electronic actuation rather than vacuum. He also has created a separate tune for this turbo on our engines.

Supporting Vendor

Jeep Liberty 2.8L CRD
Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon 2.8L Duramax

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 11:43 pm 
LOST Addict

diesel_guy86 wrote:
That turbo is a gt1749 I believe. Has the same size compressor wheel with a smaller turbine wheel. Like you said it let's it spin up faster to deliver more air. The electronically controlled ones have issues just like the vacuum actuated ones, stripped gears, frayed wires etc. I would rather have the electronic one any day over the vacuum.

diesel_guy86:

So, if I am to understand you clearly regarding reliability - electronically controlled verses vacuum controlled; both have their problems, but the problems with vacuum actuated units are way worse than the electronically actuated ones; yes?

I know the vacuum ones can cause problems for sure...especially when made to work with EGR and crankcase ventings. I have had no less than 4 of the vacuum solenoids replace on one of my CRDs.
:furious: How bad are the electronic controlled ones, really? Is there anything I can do maintenance-wise to make the electronic ones more reliable?