It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cams and cam shafts
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm 
LOST Member

I heard the rockers are wearing . How are the cams doing. Looking at a new timing and water pump. Head gasket and rockers glow plugs. Should I be looking to do the cams? Going in next week to tear down and look at the pistons and the Liners. If the bottom looks good going to fix. looks bad not sure adding a lot more money.

Post subject: Re: cams and cam shafts
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:06 am 
LOST Member

What i have seen/heard for the cams is that the rocker roller bearings wear so much that the sides of the rocker touch the cam and grind it down. If this hasnt happened the cams should be good.

CRD Motor/Timing Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68442076@N02/sets/72157629389449367/

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
EAB wrote:
What i have seen/heard for the cams is that the rocker roller bearings wear so much that the sides of the rocker touch the cam and grind it down. If this hasnt happened the cams should be good.

Yup.

What makes you think the rockers are wearing? I could have done your timing belt for you as I came through about 10 days ago... Sorry I missed you!

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:26 pm 
LOST Member

My head is leaking pressure into the coolant. So while we are taking it down we are going to look at both. I was waiting on tax return before I could get started. Money makes the parts come in.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:35 am 
LOST Newbie

if the rockers haven't seized your probably ok. if they are seized or you find and rockers with needle bearings all on one side check and make sure theres no funny looking scuffs or wear areas on cam. use a good full synthetic light weight oil and lucas full synthetic oil treatment and youll enjoy many miles of worry free driving. ive owned many diesels from big rigs to tiny Kubota lawn mower diesels and after the invent of lucas oil treatment I have seen a drastic difference in my engine wear. I sold a 2001 dodge ram with 402,000 miles of hard driving ,pulling and racing with 650hp rwhp, oil changes around 20-25,000 miles. it didn't use oil when I sold it but it had a side plate gasket leaking. the guy who bought it decided to take it to the shop and have all new gaskets installed and a overhaul done. they pulled the engine down and found no more than 2 thousandths wear on anything so they put it back together with the same parts, installed new gaskets and that was 3 years ago.

2640 JD
02 Chevy 2500HD 8.1L 496
64 Chevelle project
Kubota diesel mower
5.9 Cummins