It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Liberty 6 speed manual trans swap to CRD
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mass-hole wrote:
I was just reading a Liberty TDI swap thread over on the TDIclub and the guy doing the swap said he thinks the crank position sensor for our CRD's is actually mounted in the transmission, making it very difficult to swap to a manual. Not sure if this is true but figured I would throw it out there.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3099889&postcount=38

The 545RFE does not have any mounting provisions for a crank sensor.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:58 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
I was just reading a Liberty TDI swap thread over on the TDIclub and the guy doing the swap said he thinks the crank position sensor for our CRD's is actually mounted in the transmission, making it very difficult to swap to a manual. Not sure if this is true but figured I would throw it out there.

Thats not true. Look at the pictures of my stock manual trans CRD setup if you doubt me.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:58 pm 
LOST Addict

Sir Sam wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

Thats not true. Look at the pictures of my stock manual trans CRD setup if you doubt me.

I dont doubt you, I was just curious if this guy knew what he was talking about.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:05 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Sir Sam wrote:
mass-hole wrote:

I dont doubt you, I was just curious if this guy knew what he was talking about.

He doesn't.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

I started another thread in an attempt to get a short parts list for the easiest swap. If you wise folks can help advise me to a fairly complete list, in good at sourcing parts, and will do my best to get us a solid price for the swap. Does it really look like all of the parts will bolt right up without fabrication (drive line, master&slave cylinder, Etc..)? And can we get a decent gear ratio by upping tires a size or two?

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good day mountainman, I haven't got info on pilot bearing as yet but the info I've found so far is it's actually placed inside dual mass flywheel not the end of crankshaft I've shown LUK clutch manufacture number 415015210. I'm going to pull it out in about two week will give info.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:25 pm 
LOST Addict

Jackobite wrote:
Good day mountainman, I haven't got info on pilot bearing as yet but the info I've found so far is it's actually placed inside dual mass flywheel not the end of crankshaft I've shown LUK clutch manufacture number 415015210. I'm going to pull it out in about two week will give info.

Many thanks :JEEPIN:

05 CRD: H.D.S2 stat,WW Ironrock trilink&LCA's, OX rear,ARB front, 4.10's, ARB bumper, Suncoast,OME 3.5, JBA UCA,rock rails, Moabs&265/75 Duratracs, GDE tunes ,FFD fan,ARP's, 2 micron fuel, new valves,sasquatch battery tray & grid heater, tensioner relocated
Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:35 am 
LOST Newbie

I know this is an older thread, but I'm having a hard time searching the clutch and flywheel. Are you guys swapping the stock 3.7 clutch/flywheel? Looking at doing this swap instead of a tc/trans rebuild so that I can finally run the GDE turbo swap tune in my CRD!

V6 Airbox

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:22 am 
LOST Junkie

Blueoval_boy_64 wrote:
I know this is an older thread, but I'm having a hard time searching the clutch and flywheel. Are you guys swapping the stock 3.7 clutch/flywheel? Looking at doing this swap instead of a tc/trans rebuild so that I can finally run the GDE turbo swap tune in my CRD!

The diesel has a different clutch. If you search for a clutch for a Euro/Australian CRD manual you will find it. Be aware the front & back tailshafts are different for the manual.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:52 am 
LOST Newbie

layback40 wrote:
The diesel has a different clutch. If you search for a clutch for a Euro/Australian CRD manual you will find it. Be aware the front & back tailshafts are different for the manual.

We have the 6 speed in Australia.
Its not the strongest box.
Over here when they fail people tend to replace it with the 5 speed that we got in the XJ diesel.
The 6 speed manual KJ CRD has a detune ex the factory to avoid blowing the box.

Critical information IMO. You really want the 5 speed. Guessing here the gear ratios are better for the lower revving diesel. And you'll need the right clutch.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:04 pm 
LOST Addict

Hopefully Yeti or someone has the tune for the manual? Either GDE out of the loop this may be much more difficult due to programming...

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mountainman wrote:
Hopefully Yeti or someone has the tune for the manual? Either GDE out of the loop this may be much more difficult due to programming...

Tune for a manual tranny???? It's called the driver, lol. Mind you, driving a gasser vs a diesel gearbox IS different. Comes up frequently on the TDI forums, folks tend to lug their diesels and not rev them out enough before shifts. The lowdown torque can strip gears, especially in 5th.

Just got a tune and Jeff tweaked the TCM for me, he LIFTED the shift points, unlike what I could glean from GDEs info page about their various tunes. Exactly what I wanted. Much better around town in D, and yes, I'll still be using the OD on/off at highway speeds, and I suspect it'll see a lot of use for towing.

It's his stage 1, my butt dyno tells me another 25-30hp and a good 75'#s of torque. The mpg readout jumped up 5-6mpg, see how that translates at the next fill. Last fill with just around town only returned 19mpg.
If I had the right manual tranny I'm sure I could do even better.

After the auto>manual swap in my Golf I got a good 10% FE (Fuel Economy) increase. Auto transmissions are notorious for being fuel guzzlers. A manual puts you back in control of the engine.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:52 pm 
LOST Addict

I would guess 2-3 mpg increase at most.

On another note I saw a video recently I believe from SEMA about a company that supplies control box for several chrysler transmissions including the 68RFE and allisons but not sure about our trans but it did not depend on the current computer inputs at all. I am also sure it would cost a pretty penny but at least its a commercial possibility.

Also the ecm does discriminate between the automatic and the manual transmission but worst would probably be a check engine light. Several members have reported a CEL especially after a service and had to return to a dealer to get the ecm refreshed because it thought the jeep should have a manual which of course isn't available in the US market.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

" the ecm does discriminate between the automatic and the manual transmission" TKB4

Now that I think about it, there is a field in VCDS, the VW software from Rosstech, where you do select auto vs manual transmissions, and a couple of auto "modes". Not sure what the ECM changes, but I take your point that it is software "tuned" for the auto. Guessing here that the ECU communicates with the TCM, if the TCM is not there it would throw some kind of error.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:22 am 
LOST Addict

I think it throws a code but it will operate but not entirely sure if it operates totally normally.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Well, I was referring to the detuned manual tunes do to the manuals not being strong enough to handle the torque. At least that's what the CRD gods have said. Sure you could just drive gently, but one hard acceleration and you've potentially damaged the gear box. The manual tune is supposed to limit the output so it's not a problem

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

"We have the 6 speed in Australia.
Its not the strongest box.
Over here when they fail people tend to replace it with the 5 speed that we got in the XJ diesel.
The 6 speed manual KJ CRD has a detune ex the factory to avoid blowing the box." layback40

Here's the advice from Oz. You're better off with the 5spd. Silly me, here I assumed a manual would be more rugged than an auto. LSED, (learn something every day).

Now that I'm tuned, my tranny is behaving a lot better, the TC needs upgrading. My tuner is planning on a Euro TC in his Liberty. He'll let me know what he thinks when he gets rountuit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:54 pm 
LOST Addict

Yeah, it's very disappointing that there isn't a good gear box for us that could handle the output :cry:

Mech fan, VH & AC delete

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:40 am 
LOST Junkie

Mountainman wrote:
Yeah, it's very disappointing that there isn't a good gear box for us that could handle the output :cry:

So there is no confusion, the 5 speed I am talking about is a manual. There were 2 different ones used. One was used up to about 2000 & then an other from 2000 until the end of the XJ. There may have even been some 5 speed manual KJ CRD's in Europe at the start of the model run. I think the 5 speed manual box even found its way into some wranglers.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:56 am 
LOST Newbie

So googling around, it looks like two options; the Aisin AX15 or the NVG3550.

Gear Ratios 545RFE automatic:
1st 3.00:1; 2nd 1.67:1; 2nd Prime 1.50:1; 3rd 1.00:1;4th 0.75:1; 5th 0.67:1; 3.00:1 Reverse

AX15: Gears: 3.83, 2.33, 1.44, 1.00, 0.79 (First through Fifth); 4.22:1 Reverse

NVG3550: Gears: 4.01, 2.33, 1.39, 1.00, 0.78 (First through Fifth); 3.57:1 Reverse

The 545RFE does have a taller Overdrive, more suitable for it's "crossover" capability on the highway.
The two manuals are geared lower, and more suited for offroading.

The swap has certainly been done, but the articles I found were for gassers.

Here's a thread on the 6spd ratios, not sure if it's for the CRD Euro 6spd.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10759

Changing the diff and using one of the above 5 spds may give better final drives for the CRD.