It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about oil sender longevity
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:04 pm 
LOST Member

Today I did my first oil change and installed my Fumoto valve. While the oil was out I put a 'T' in the factory oil pressure sensor location for an oil pressure gauge sender. Picture of the setup here: http://liberty.eurekaboy.com/oilsender.jpg

After I buttoned everything up I checked for leaks. No leaks! However, as I watched the diesel vibration I started to have some concerns about all that metal hanging off a small hole tapped into an aluminum oil pan. I'm afraid over time that area of the pan might break/fracture due to the stress and lead to a catastrophic failure.

Does anyone share my concerns? Have the more diesel experienced guys seen any failures from this type of setup? I'm now thinking I might install an oil filter bypass and mount the oil pressure sender there.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Most stress/vibration fractures I see all involve brass coolant fittings mounted on the engine block. Unless the valve is absurdly heavy, I don't see a problem. I would worry more about it vibrating loose over time. Not a problem if you check it at oil changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:25 pm 
LOST Addict

It really doesn't look that bad in the picture, how bad does you engine vibrate? Our is pretty smooth is why I ask.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:13 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies. The engine doesn't seem to vibrate excessively. Most of my concern was the aluminum pan and all the fittings being supported by an 1/8" NPT-sized hole. I'm going to keep a close eye on it for awhile.

I was glad to see the factory oil pressure sensor was 1/8" NPT, and not some odd size like the oil drain plug.

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:40 am 
LOST Junkie

Doesn't look any different than other diesel applications, aluminum oil pans are not a new thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:50 am 
LOST Addict

Stan Wright wrote:
Thanks for the replies. The engine doesn't seem to vibrate excessively. Most of my concern was the aluminum pan and all the fittings being supported by an 1/8" NPT-sized hole. I'm going to keep a close eye on it for awhile.

I was glad to see the factory oil pressure sensor was 1/8" NPT, and not some odd size like the oil drain plug.

Most of the stuff I've worked on will use a high pressure hydraulic flex hose going from the oil pressure tap to a frame rail mounted manifold with multiple tap in points. That way all your sensors and other fittings are protected from vibration.

When you took that sensor out, did it have any locktite or pipe dope holding it?

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:14 am 
LOST Member

Quote:
When you took that sensor out, did it have any locktite or pipe dope holding it?

Yes, it appeared to have pipe dope in it.