It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW GUY
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Hello all, I am new to this forum so forgive me for my ignorance. My wife and I are thinking about a CRD as our new car purchase. Rising fuel costs being our main reason for choosing the CRD. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I bring it home? Has anyone had a bad experience with this vehicle? Thanks in advance for any help......

Post subject: Re: NEW GUY
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:26 am 
garver72 wrote:
Hello all, I am new to this forum so forgive me for my ignorance. My wife and I are thinking about a CRD as our new car purchase. Rising fuel costs being our main reason for choosing the CRD. Is there anything that I should be aware of before I bring it home? Has anyone had a bad experience with this vehicle? Thanks in advance for any help......

I love mine, but I have to go offroad for work and I like to pull trailers once in awhile. Find a high volume diesel station and stick with it to keep your quality of diesel fuel constant.

If your basing your decision on just MPG, my parents got a 2005 VW Golf TDI - they get 48MPG on the highway, and 38-40MPG in town all day every day!

I do think it's wise to have at least one diesel in your fleet. My belief is that over the next decade, as the world struggles to meet oil demand for whatever reason, we will see shortages of gasoline (and maybe diesel) at the pumps (like last week in the East Coast Region) and it's just a good safeguard to have a second fuel option.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:00 am 
LOST Addict

garver72 wrote:

I have an '05 Sport bought 9/05 now pushing 12,000 miles. Having my 2nd bad experience. #1 is a CCV filter (look for some threads and start reading) #2 this the computer updates. I would definately make sure the latest reflash is in the beast before you accept it. They have their issues but I still like mine.

Thankful to now be an EX-CRD owner.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:50 am 
LOST Junkie

garver72 wrote:

I would agree with Alljeep. If your premise is fuel consumption and your not an off-road enthusiast or work/toy hauler the VW Golf TDI wins hands down on fuel consumption with the Jetta TDI coming in second.
Outside of the Diesel alternative fuel market, hybrids MAY POSSIBLY (with caveat) be another alternative if your not hauling or have any need for off-roading.

My CRD has 16k miles put on in the last 7 months, I have no issues and personally believe the VM Motori engine is bullet proof based on it's duty cycle in Europe. I also personally believe that some of the quirks with the CRD are attributed to engine and transmission controller module software written for the North American market due to our benevolent EPA laws.

New EGR Flow Control Valve @ 25,020 miles
New Transfer Case input/output seals @ 32,787 miles
SEGR Kit @ 52,000 miles
SunCoast TC and Transgo Shift Kit @ 52,000 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

There are a couple of problems that can be dealt with if you have a good dealer. As others have said, if you need a utility vehicle there is likely no better choice as the Liberty is the most capable in its class and easily as economical as a similar sized hybrid but it will pull and they will not. Stronger off road too.

Oh, almost forgot, get one now if you are in North America as they will not be made here in 2007.

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:09 pm 
LOST Member

I have an '05 with 8000 miles on it and its a great vehicle. Lots of torque, fun to drive. If you can get the dealer to switch out the tires for some good AT's.

2005 CRD Limited 4x4 - Deep Beryl Green - Selec-Trac
Trac-Lok - Skid Plates - BFG Radial Long Trail TA's- Rotella T 5W40 Synthetic.

2007 GC CRD Limited. Silver.