It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: My 250+HP CRD build
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:01 am 
LOST Junkie

Thought I'd share my build with the world...

December of 2013 with 145,000 miles the original timing belt finally let loose. I started ordering parts and wanted to make it a more reliable engine that would run better. Took the head off and sent it to the machine shop to get completely stripped and cleaned. Got a valve job done on it and came back looking brand new.
Somewhere I got the idea to up the power. At first I Wanted to twin turbo, but I came across an add in the classifieds for a project. It was some adapters to convert the exhaust manifold to accept a standard t25 turbo flange. I sent the injectors to get them inspected, cleaned, and honed out 25%.
I'm already assembling the engine. Hit a snag when I installed the manifold. the water pump inlet elbow has some nipples that are in the way of the new turbos inlet. So I started making a new one tonight.Image

Just wanna add I'm not a machinist, fabricator, or engineer. I'm a hands on guy that likes to be different. I talked with kieth at GDE, he warned me that I'll be going above the designed cylinder pressures, but said he could do a custom tune to delete the vnt turbo control, along with upping the power. Bottom end hasn't been modified any. Head is being studded, got weeks101 intake, deleted the egr. Wasn't sure how to do it, turns out a 3/4" pipe thread tap fits perfect. That way I can hook up the egr if I ever have to.

Here's a pic of the engine with the Garrett gt2860r turbo...Image

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

Last edited by diesel_guy86 on Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: My 250+HP CRD build
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Should be interesting to watch, It's nice GDE can program around the VNT so we can see how this will work out.....

RRO 3" lift

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:41 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Should launch like a rocket and go down the track like a bullet.

Once.

Best of luck, but I suspect that your cylinder liners and the bottom end are not long for this world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

Definitely interested in how this turns out.

Front sits 23
Rear sits 22 3/4
265 75 16 Maxxis Big Horn MT
GDE Hot Tune
Bumper trimming up front

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Lol what do you think will be faster? The jeep or the rod leaving? Seriously though I think it'll be fine, its not going to be drag raced, pull a million pounds through the mountains or anything like that. Most of it I'm doing is for reliability. The simpler you can make it the better it is. Doesn't get away from a timing belt change, but I'll never have to worry about my turbo grenading or egr plugging things up. The cooler boost coming from a turbo running in its peak efficiency island will lessen the strain on the cooling system, which will go along with the better radius'd wp elbow.

The power side of this is just me being me, thought I would pump her up some to make those jaunts passing someone just a little bit quicker. We'll see I guess, will be something different on the forum...

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Neat. I hope you are planning to add a bunch of gauges to see where heat might be an issue to be addressed.

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:03 pm 
LOST Member

Very interesting.

96 Ford F350 4x4

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 10:32 pm 
LOST Junkie

Already have egt probe installed into the exhaust manifold, going to have an egt and boost gauge in the a pillar. Wish it was a 3 gauge pod cause I also have an intake air temp gauge.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It looks like a cool mod, and you know better then to hammer it, so I think you will be fine. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 8:49 am 
LOST Member

can't wait to see how this comes out

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:59 am 
LOST Junkie

Because of the different turbo, or because of the 250hp?

I'm currently waiting on the awkward 1.88" od tube to show up so I can finish the elbow. Still have to wire up my gauges and get them installed. I got speedhut revolution digital gauges. They have a peak recall function as well as a programmable led that will come on when you go past your setpoint.

Also want to note I'm using braided stainless steel line with an fittings for the turbo. Another plus to the ball bearing turbo is that they need FAR less oil than conventional journal bearing turbos. This will definitely help keep oil pressure up which I'm sure the crank an rod bearings will be thankful for.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

3 gauge pod you say?

Looking forward to see how this jeep turns out

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 11:03 pm 
LOST Junkie

Did you make that? I'd have a 4 gauge pod if it would fit! EGT, boost, intake air temp, and oil pressure would be lovely. I emailed gaugepods.com to see if they'd custom make a 3 gauge for me. Said no for whatever reason. My goal is to have it done by fathers day, its gonna be close.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:46 am 
LOST Junkie

Yep I made it. There's prolly enough room for 5 gauges if their spaced right

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:14 am 
LOST Newbie

A 3" gauge will probably fit in the round dash vents. I am thinking about an ISSPRO 609 boost and EGT unit in the driver side center vent. I've had it blocked for one heat and AC season and wouldn't miss it.

2006 GMC Sierra Duramax/Allison - the toy
RIP - 1995 Tahoe 6.5 TD
1990 JD 332, yep, the mower is a diesel too

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:55 pm 
LOST Junkie

FINALLY got the flange done. Its not perfect, but as long as it sits flat and seals, it don't matter if it isn't perfect. Besides no one will ever see it anyways. The 1.88" od pipe came in the other day. Working on it now so I can cut it to reduce it down. Then its off to the tig welder.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:01 am 
LOST Junkie

Not the final product, still have some trimming and welding to do, but gives you an idea.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 4:00 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Very interesting, nice firehose. :pepper:

What about the other hoses that connect to the intake?

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 5:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

Already ordered the drill bits/taps for those :wink: as well as 1 1/8th diameter aluminum rod to weld on the pipe for a sturdy boss to thread into. There a weird size/ thread and 3 taps/ drills cost $240. M20x 1.25, M18x 1.25, and an M16x2. It'll function the same as factory, only its much more efficient and is larger on the inside.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:21 pm 
LOST Junkie

Finally got a box of parts I've been waiting for. Got a little bit done tonight.

3" v band out, no back pressure here.

3" v band low profile downpipe with flex section.

I think with this 3" 90° elbow I'll clear the viscous heater. All the little problems of changing just one thing are starting to surface. Nothing major tho so I'm gonna keep pushing on. Also got the wastegate mounted tonight, and found out my new water pump elbow won't clear without some reworking. So gonna look at either modifying it some more, or using the factory one and moving the 2 nipples that are in the way. I'll look at it when I'm more awake.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next