It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Noise Can't Figure
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:41 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Last Wednesday on the Freeway doing a little over 60 MPH I start hearing a noise, not high pitched but higher than road noise. Been trying to figue it out since. Here are the symtoms so far.

> Hear it above 50 MPH.
> Hear it in relatively new concrete, new asphalt, old asphalt, going downhilll and on the flat.
> Don't hear it much going uphill.
> Seems to have a right turn bias, it sometimes goes away pretty much turning left.
> Sounds like it is coming from the right rear until I turn my hear right then it just seems to come from the right. (Too many unmuffled farm diesels and rock concerts plus being over 50 and a guy hurts here)

It could be that I just have some a bad radio comic stuck in the treads. It is coming from the right side and I did swerve at him but I thought I missed. :roll:

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Last edited by Cowcatcher on Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Please keep your politics to yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

aw come on, tell me what it is, who were you talking about... Lets talk some Washington politics..........How about that Christine Gregoire :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TDI4BY wrote:
aw come on, tell me what it is, who were you talking about... Lets talk some Washington politics..........How about that Christine Gregoire :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

No... couldn't be, I definately swerved to the right and there is no howl coming from the left, just the right. Besides my Jeep came from her home town so I need to pay proper respect.

It is driving me bats too. There is something about the frequency that even gets to my old ears. I guess too reading about all these TSB is making me twichy.

I need to get back into the dealer and have the transmission filter TSB done so I will throw them into the passenger seat and take them out for a drive. Perhaps two pair of ears will be able to sort it out.

In the meatime this parrot head will just steer clear of the humorless heads eh! :wink:

'06 CRD Limited, Lt. Khaki, MOPAR Slush Mats/Skids, DrawTite Front Hitch, Mag Lite, Yakima Bars, Thule Bike Rack, Fumoto, ORM, 245/70 Revo 2

Wish list: Lift, Boulder Bars, Something Bigger in the Front and Back, More Lights

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:35 am 
LOST Addict

Cowcatcher wrote:
TDI4BY wrote:

:mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol: :mrgreen: :lol:

No... couldn't be, I definately swerved to the right and there is no howl coming from the left, just the right. Besides my Jeep came from her home town so I need to pay proper respect.

It is driving me bats too. There is something about the frequency that even gets to my old ears. I guess too reading about all these TSB is making me twichy.

I need to get back into the dealer and have the transmission filter TSB done so I will throw them into the passenger seat and take them out for a drive. Perhaps two pair of ears will be able to sort it out.

In the meatime this parrot head will just steer clear of the humorless heads eh! :wink:
Hey Cowman or is it Mancow? Anyway I ejoyed the humor.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:33 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It may be Mad Cowman if I can't get this ringing out of my ears!!!!!!!

Been through a rough patch the last few years OldNavy, just trying to get the old sense of humor back. It's a day to day thing. Now andd then one bumps into someone with no sense though. :-)r

No takers on my noise huh? I thought it was wind noise the first time I heard it. It was sort of like a window barely open. Opened and closed both windows on the right though and it never changed. Did the ones on the left too, still no change.

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok, the sound seems mostly gone today. The only think I can think of that it different is I opened and closed the rear gate and flipper.

Can the flipper be only partially latched then creat a wind noise? If so what does it sound like?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:02 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, it came back the next day and tonight I figured it out. It helped that I was driving at 35 MPH in a huge wind storm.

THE YAKIMA CROSS BARS!!!!! It was wind noise, DUH! The other thing I changed just before it started was to take the ski/snow board holders off the cross bars, leaving the cross bars. Apparently the holders disrupted air flow enough to keep the noise from occurring. I guess I need to look into putting a deflector on the front one!

Last edited by Cowcatcher on Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cowcatcher wrote:
Well, it came bak th next day and tonight I figured it out. Ithelped that I was driving at 35 MPH ins a huge wind storm.

THE YAKIMA CROSS BARS!!!!! It was wind noise, DUH! The other thing I changed just before it started was to take the ski/snow board holders off the cross bars, leaving the cross bars. Apparently the holders disrupted air flow enough to keep the noise from occurring. I guess I need to look into putting a deflector on the front one!

We had a Honda with a roof rack and I hated that noise..... I want a Roof Cargo rack(you know Safari style) for the Liberty but I am afraid of that noise... Do the deflecters stop it from happening??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I swear I never heard it until I took off the ski holder. It may be worse with round bars so Thule or Mopar might be a better choice since they're not round. The Thule basket seems to have the deflector built on their basket, also Yakima shows a little device that slips over the bar to tame the air. Since the noise wasnt there before I removed the ski holder I may try that solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I might start a new thread asking for rack owners to chime in about their experiences with noise, mileage, etc. , unless you beat me to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:48 pm 
LOST Addict

That's why I removed the cross rails on my Magnum wagon. Little bit of noise.

05 MB E320 CDI. Mine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TDI4BY wrote:
I might start a new thread asking for rack owners to chime in about their experiences with noise, mileage, etc. , unless you beat me to it.

GO FOR IT!!!!! I'll watch. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=77545#77545 Here you go!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've got the Thule cross bars, same thing very noisy without anything on the rack. Kinda wish I would have gotten the Mopar crossbars, maybe they wouldn't have been as bad. The good thing about the Thule is that I can got them a little wider so I can fit the long cargo box and 2 kayaks.

05 CRD Limited G pkg
Leather(heated), Sunroof, Sirius,
RB1 Navigation Radio, IPod intergration kit
Trac Loc, Towing Pkg...
Thule rack & Box
coming ARB & Frankenlift, if I can keep it running long enough!