It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: OME Lift update
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:14 am 
LOST Member

Off-loading-El-Jeepo-of-WVO
I still haven't fixed the tire fender rubbing issue. I sure am enjoying the lift. I've been to two of our five remote tower sites and only bottomed out on one spot.

I work alone so I did not get a chance to take a picture of any of the climbs. I suppose you all know how high off the ground the driver's seat is when crawling up and over rocks. Needless to say one may feel inclined to pop the emergency brake on and hop out for a photo op, but getting back in might be harder than getting out :shock:

I've working the crap out of my Jeep. In my job as a trouble shooter it is often informative to find the limits in order to find the best performance point. Hauling this 4400 pound car to the scrap yard was slow going, but the Jeep felt good and in control the whole 15 mile drive down out of the mountains to town. I still need a converter for the trailer electrical jack on the Jeep to work with all the different old trailers I've used in the last year. The Jeep has what I believe is a factory towing kit with electric brakes, but I never used them. This was one time when the nearly 3 tons the Jeep weighs worked in my favor
BTW the trailer hitch is finally at a reasonable height

Last edited by Boss on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:43 pm 
LOST Member

My 245 75 16's were KM2's my 265 75 16 are Maxxis Big horn.

Front sits 23
Rear sits 22 3/4
265 75 16 Maxxis Big Horn MT
GDE Hot Tune
Bumper trimming up front

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:12 am 
LOST Member

Something I haven't considered yet with the taller, wider tires is chains. I use the low profile "Super Z LT" cables. Hope they clear.

OME lift+JBA UCA's, custom front hitch receiver, Mile Marker winch
All J Products rear cargo shelf
Sips biodiesel as if it were 12 y/o Scotch

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:39 pm 
LOST Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
Tinman wrote:
Unless Rocky-Road sold me the wrong coils, I do have the 790s

You stated you have the medium duty coils which are 926's.

I see that now. They have the kit labeled CRD but I thought is was the medium springs and the heavy springs were for the winch crowd. I see now there are crd specific springs. The rear seems to have settled a little so it's not quite so bad. I little more in front would be nice but not as motivated now.

'01 Dodge/Cummins - Work truck; Lots of mods

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:07 pm 
LOST Member

I have had my OME Lift since February. I had bought 927 front springs and 948s in the rear. Ride is excellent compared to the sagging stock springs and shocks.

There has been some settling/sagging since they have installed.

The front of the Jeep is 19.5-20 inches from center of wheel to fender flare, while the rear is 21 inches, center of the wheel to fender flare.

Flex shots, Cooper Discover ATR 235-75-16.

Here are some measurements from the upper A-arm to the bump stop.

Full droop.

All 4 wheels on the ground.

If I were to do it again I would buy the 790 springs to make the front/rear more level. I would recommend anyone with a CRD just to get the 790 springs in the front if you get the 948s in the back.

Note: I will buy 790 springs soon and replace the 927s that are currently installed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:53 am 
LOST Member

I'm back after a long hiatus from nuttin and wrenchin. I have been more than patient with the knuckle-head at the tire shop that installed my OME lift kit. They had the most trouble with the ball joint replacement part of the job. OMG, what a nightmare. They seem to have that worked out and I made them replace everything they were responsible for damaging, including the right front tire, the axle, the rim. The ball joint actually came apart and I was deep in the mud, too remote for a tow truck, I made the owner of the shop get down in the mud and tie the ball joint together with chains and clamps so we could get it out of the mud for the tow truck to reach it. Of course that's where most of the damage occurred, grrr. That was last year, for months I drove my beloved Jeep like it was going to fall apart any minute. Finally things settled down well except for my and my wife's health crisis, now that is settled down as well. My 245/R75/16 MTs started showing some feathering a few months back. I took it back to the stupid shop. They moved the affected left front tire to the rear after determining the balance was good.
At this point the tire noise was increasing dramatically. The muds were always loud, but this was getting insane, the whole Jeep was beginning to rattle. I took it back again, well of course they had no idea what was happening. They actually told me that I needed to bring it in so they "could figger out what was going on," never once mentioning the $900 I paid them for four Kumho MTs one year and three months ago, they are ruined, I am pissed, or was. My wife and decided to make this a more positive experience we'll gift these tires to the guy that helped up out on, oh yeah I haven't told you what I've been doing these last two years... Image
He'll install them on his older Chevy heavy duty 4X4 pickup truck.
See my latest crazy project at Brian's Finally Building in northern New Mexico http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23206&start=795 Oh and I took my site down so all my pictures are gone from my Jeep build. Today, I'll bring the General Tire Grabber 255/R70/16 I bought off Amazon to a different shop where they look like they keep up on training and have told me they know exactly how to align oversize tires! Yay! I didn't mean to buy 255/R70/16s, we've been pushed to our limits with another project Image
we installed both local Douglas Fir flooring and tile in our house two weekends ago, my wife and I feel about a hundred years old instead of the low sixties we truly are. Anywho, I was looking at Amazon for 235/R70/16s when I noticed I could go up in load range for a few bucks more, whoops, now we have the 255s :roll: They aren't that much bigger than the 245/R75s so with the OME lift I'm hopeful. I work the crap out of my Jeep, for example I've hauled 11 90 pounds sacks of Redimix cement in the back where the rear seat used to be. hopefully I'm done with that type of hauling. I've got the dump bed installed and working on our Dodge Cummings dually when we found out the injector pump is toast, grr, on that, but I'll get it too. A couple more pics from our new earth-sheltered aquaponics greenhouse fish house
We're growing Brook trout and lots of veggies in the greenhouse

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:05 am 
LOST Member

Got the Jeep out for a lunch time adventure:
Johnson-Mesa-Lunch-run-The-Jeep-Hermits-Peak-11-5-2015
Johnson-Mesa-Lunch-run-Hermits-Peak-11-5-2015
Johnson-Mesa-Lunch-run-Gallinas-Canyon-First-WiFi-installation-11-5-2015
Johnson-Mesa-Lunch-run-looks-like-more-coming-better-get-back-to-work-11-5-2015
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Johnson+Mesa,+New+Mexico+87701/@35.6947757,-105.4712902,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x8719a3d0d5ed083b:0x151c877027d304f2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:58 am 
LOST Member

two OEM upper strut mounts gave out after the OME lift. Now one of the new upper strut mounts gave out, grr.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:33 pm 
LOST Member

boss:
Well, I think your upper strut mount failure sounds like what I may be experiencing. Along with a frustrating occasional clunk when going over a minor obstacle (rock). Then I noticed the post to this thread about tire noise, which I am suddenly now experiencing which is magnified when I turn the wheel slightly to the right. It's all making sense now. I've been all over the map trying to locate the problem.

Is the strut mount fairly straight forward to remove / install (DIY) or does it require a *special* tool and / or a real PITA?

Love your pictures. Too bad you / I don't live closer. I love that type of 4-wheeling. Been doing it ever since 1964 and don't plan on stopping or slowing down for that matter.

'05 CRD, GDE tune(s), JBA stuff, OME, Weeks Stage I & II, "Provent"(custom) +++

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:34 am 
LOST Member

Quote:
Is the strut mount fairly straight forward to remove / install (DIY) or does it require a *special* tool and / or a real PITA?
No, yes and yes. The strut compressor is the reason I let a shop do it, but they had a whole lot of stuff off, "to do it right," they said. Best $86.00 (for labor) I have spent in a long while. Anywho, here is the stretch of road that took out the second and third upper strut mount: Image
I too have a lot of clunks and odd sounds as well from the suspension.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:46 pm 
LOST Member

I have a strut spring compressor but have not used it. Sounds a little intimidating for me. 10 - 15 years ago probably not so much. Think I'll have it done by others. I've wrenched on all my Jeeps for over 40 years. Complete body/frame-off restorations several times. Never let anybody else touch 'em.. until the last 5 years or so. :cry: My last wrenchable Jeep was a '94 XJ which I sold 3 years ago.

That stretch of white doesn't look like fun... at night. :shock:

This was my latest trip to Cathedral Valley, UT a few weeks ago

Pretty lonely out there. Didn't see another sole all day.

Guess I should do both sides. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:12 am 
LOST Member

you are most welcome. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to reply after my 2 year hiatus, Thank you. Beautiful pics btw

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:24 pm 
LOST Member

Forgot to mention I liked your pictures of the work you did on your home... especially the wood flooring. I retired from the hardwood flooring business a few years ago after 40+ years. I still do odd jobs but I'm going to sell all my installation and sanding equipment so I don't get talked into doing another job. Hardest part is saying "NO".

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:17 am 
LOST Member

I hear ya on the tools. At one point in my life when I thought I could afford to retire early, I wanted to create a organization called the College of Un-learning. For a fee we'd remove all college degrees from your record and mark your resume as unemployable.Never figured out how to do most of that, but it was fun thinking about it. It took forever for people to get it that I didn't want to fix Windows machines ever again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:03 pm 
LOST Addict

Did all of you clearance the upper arm pockets? I get a clunk after hitting speed bumps when the coilovers rebound, I am wondering if my jba arms may be striking the bottom of the pockets since I never opened them up

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:45 am 
LOST Member

mass-hole wrote:
Did all of you clearance the upper arm pockets?......

I sure did. Also did a little grinding on the curved section of the UCA that comes close to the spring. repainted the springs again to see if any contact was made after the relief was done. None solved the problem.

For those that are planning on a JBA lift, be sure to look at the upper strut mounts!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:13 am 
LOST Member

My Jeep is doing pretty well considering I haven't done much to it other than work it. It's probably not going back in any shops other than my own ever again. The latest issue the front end shop missed is the busted rack and pinon mount. I haven't had a chance to repair it as it looks likes a bugger to get at. The serpentine belt broke the other day and when I replaced it the new belt tried to jump off the pulleys. The tensioner went south. The new one will be here today and I should be back in business.