It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help! CRD won't start
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:46 am 
LOST Newbie

So my girlfriend took her CRD to the hardware store and when she pulled in there was a nasty noise. She popped the hood and the belt had one rib torn off and it was wrapped around the fan. Upon inspection it looks like the tensioner went out and partially derailed the belt. When she went to re-start it it won't start.

When I got home from work I went to look at it and when you first crank it it will act like it wants to start and hit a few times then nothing. If you cycle the key off and back on it'll do it again acting like it's hitting 3 or 4 time then nothing. It'll do this every time you cycle the key.

The fuel light came on for me when I was driving it last but she said today it never came on for her. The overhead says it's got 31 miles to empty. None-the-less I checked for air in the filter head. The first time I pumped it up and cracked the bleeder screw a bunch of air came out. Then mostly fuel with a couple bubbles the third time and straight fuel every time since. I tried to start it again and it does the same thing. Check for air in the filter head again and nothing but fuel. So for giggles I go put 5 gal of fuel in it and tried it again several times still to no avail. It'll hit 3 or 4 times then just crank.

Any suggestions on what to check next? I looked to see if there were any wires or anything that the torn up belt spinning around the fan may have hit but I don't see anything. Thought maybe a cam or crank position sensor or something but I don't see any of those anywhere that they could have been hit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mine: '96 Ford F-250 PSD. Custom fuel system, big injectors, Big HPOP, Custom turbo, Billet Rods, Custom Pistons, Ported Heads, BTS Built Transmission, N²O. 12.6 @ 105 in the 1/4. 806hp on the dyno.

Post subject: Re: Help! CRD won't start
PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:07 am 
LOST Junkie

Check that the clutch on the alternator has not seized up and check that the broken belt did not knock off the wires on the alternator.

I presume that you have replaced the serpentine belt and tensioner? :?

What exactly does it do....does the engine turn over but not fire or does the engine not turn over?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:18 am 
LOST Newbie

I'm going to try to get a new belt and tensioner for it today.

As I said it'll act like it wants to start when you first start cranking it. It'll fire like 3-4 times like it wants to start then just cranks and doesn't fire at all until you stop cranking then try to crank again. Then it'll fire 3-4 times then just crank again without firing again.

There are no wires in the path of the belt that I can see that have been disconnected or messed up. I think the belt is unrelated to why it won't start but I'm not ruling out anything as of yet. She did shut it off, it didn't die on her.

When you run the fuel systems dry on these how long do they take to re-prime? Is there a lift pump in the tank or on the frame rail on these or is it just the CP3 on the engine draws the fuel as well as supplies the high pressure to the rails?

Mine: '96 Ford F-250 PSD. Custom fuel system, big injectors, Big HPOP, Custom turbo, Billet Rods, Custom Pistons, Ported Heads, BTS Built Transmission, N²O. 12.6 @ 105 in the 1/4. 806hp on the dyno.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:43 am 
LOST Addict

If you can check the stored codes in the ecm, it should help isolate the problem. Hopefully it is just an electrical issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:23 pm 
LOST Addict

A stock CRD has no lift pump. But you can add one.
The only fuel pump is on the engine at the CP3.
Air leaks at the fuel filter assembly are pretty common and will give you rough running, no start issues.
Make sure the is no air in the fuel system.
Check for codes.
Also, have your battery tested. An old weak battery can cause no start problems too.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have Autoenginuity but I don't have the Chrysler package so I can't scan for codes.

Has anyone run one of these out of fuel? Do they usually take a bit to reprime or once you bled the air out of the filter head are you pretty much good to go?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ok so I got the codes read. There was a cam position sensor code and a cam sensor intermittant code. I checked the wires at the connector and checked the connector itself. All looks good there. I put a new sensor in and it's still doing the same thing. Thinking of checking/replacing the crank sensor as well as apparently it can set a cam sensor code as well. Any thought on this?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what it's worth:
1. there has been at least one case of a serpentine belt coming off and getting wound up which resulted in engine timing getting a few teeth off. A horrible thought but worth checking.
2. running out of fuel is not good and should be avoided but a good filter priming and short cranking with additional priming if need be should result in a restart which may be rough until all the air is purged out of the fuel rail.
3. a bad crank sensor can produce a no start but commonly when hot. Can be tested with a volt/ohm meter and a hair dryer; if ohms go nuts when heated its bad. Not too much $ to replace as I recall.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the info. Trying to wrap my head around how a fan belt coming off could cause the cam timing belt to jump teeth. The only place the two meet are on the crank. That being said she did say it was running after the fan belt came off and she shut it off, it didn't die so I wouldn't think the timing belt would be off.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:17 am 
LOST Newbie

What was the result? I'm dealing with the same issue.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 am 
LOST Newbie

It was in fact the timing jumped.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:30 pm 
LOST Newbie

How did you find out? I took mine to a VM Motori service center and he verified it was in time, had one start after testing sensors but after that no restart. What were the damages?

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I think I m the only owner who posted the same issue on my crd2. Serpentine shredded wires and one came thru the timing belt cover and got around the crank gear and caused a jump.
Lost rockers, etc. I was 300 miles from home and 106 degrees with wife, great Dane and shi tau in car. Had to leave it, rent car go home and come back for it. That little evolution cost 1K.