It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: URGENT:Leaking HG; Anybody Just Install ARPs without new HG?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:32 am 
LOST Addict

Geordi and I are tearing into KJ CRD today. HG has VERY slight leak (bubbles in bottle at idle).

Has anyone just gone with ARP studs and NOT replaced HG?

If so, how many miles since/

We need to decide in about 3 hours whether to change HG or not.

THANKS!

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

Post subject: Re: URGENT:Leaking HG; Anybody Just Install ARPs without new
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For what it's worth and geordi already knows this. On stoutdog's 06 we lifted the head to retrieve a broken glow plug time and bolted everything back down with ARP studs using the same head gasket. 4,000+ miles later no coolant leak.

While I don't know personally I suspect that if the head and block surfaces are smooth (e.g. no etching/pitting) and the gasket is in good shape it can be reused. I'm guessing you are close enough to idparts to grab a gasket if needed though.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:07 pm 
LOST Addict

Thanks for your reply, Pap. Has your son done any towing since doing the ARPs? If so, how much weight and how many miles?

We lost half the coolant in the header tank in just an hour of towing 4000 lbs.

Thanks!

DOC

2005 KJ CRD Ltd Detroit TrueTrac Bilsteins G2 GDE "HOT" ECU GDE TCM "Tow Tune" "euro" TC SEGR Weeks Elbow New HG at 130K ARPs Clean CAT aFe Filter Magnaflow Exhaust EHM Cumminos In-Tank Lift Pump Hayden Fan Clutch Nylon Fan VH Enabled with GDE lower shutoff point Recalibrated Temp Gauge Tekonsha Prodigy Sears P-1 ZDDP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No towing just regular city/hwy driving. Only big towing was from Tempe, AZ to Tallahassee, FL a couple of years ago, way before ARP studs, with ca. 2,500 UHaul 5x8 trailer, kayak on top of CRD, me and him in CRD, passenger seat and back loaded to ceiling. Temp gauge never moved above a bit left of center with Kap's 195F tstat mod including the run at 100F+ from Tempe out of the AZ valley east of Tucson.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:24 pm 
LOST Addict

If we did not tow, we would not know we that we have a problem.

DOC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm sure Geordi will tell you that we did ARP studs on mine without replacing the HG. No problems a year later...although no signs of mine leaking prior to the ARP studs, I just had Geordi put them in when we did the TB.

Also, thanks for posting this...I didn't know Geordi was in the MA area!

sold...05 CRD Limited, GDE Hot Tune, Euro TC, ARP Head Studs, Intake Elbow Kit, Samco CAC Hoses, Etecno 7v glow plugs, OME 790 and Bilstein 916 up front, OME 948 and OME N132L rear, JBA Upper A-Arms, 245/75/16 Duratracs on Moabs, Renegade roof lights, Curt Front Hitch, BTF Kryptonite Diff Cover, JCR Stage 2 Rock Rails, Skid Row Skid Plates

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i hope it all works out for you, sounds like a few others got away with just studs?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:56 pm 

Doc, If the head gasket is already leaking, it may already have a flow path worn into the gasket. I would not take the gamble that the new studs alone would stop the leaking. I would replace the gasket along with the new studs. It would give you piece of mind!!! :2cents:
WW

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

I know at least one other person on here posted they tried only studs and it only lasted 8 months. Lot of work just to get to the bolts. Not much more to get the head off once you are that far into it.

Provent @ 43,000 km
SEGR in progress
SAMCO Sport hoses @ 48500 km
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:42 pm 
LOST Addict

We replaced the HG. It showed signs of blueing on the passenger side of #3 cylinder, right where the head bolt breakaway torque was only 85/90 lbs ft. On the other side of that cylinder, it took 130/135 lbs ft to crack it free. This appears to be where the combustion gasses were leaking and pressurizing the cooling system.

Thanks to everyone for their input, as always,

DOC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Now you have piece of mind that you are good to go for as long on the ARP studs hold up for you.

I assume you did totally remove the head to clean things up, vs slip the new gasket underneath?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 am 
LOST Addict

Lifted head with engine hoist with turbo attached. Cleaned pretty thoroughly. Going back together now.

DOC

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:23 pm 
LOST Addict

My local expert thinks that the type of HG used on this motor (metal sandwich) does not require the level of surface cleaning that is needed with a composite style. He said that a little oil residue will not matter. It is all about correct and even clamping pressure with this type of HG.

There was no residual pressure in the cooling system this morning after a night-long cool down, but I forgot to tell my wife to keep the heat on. Will see tomorrow AM after several more drive cycles. If OK, the next issue will be if the varying levels of head bolt seat distortion "squashed" back down to flat, prior to final torque of the ARPs. If all of them are not flat now, the ones that are not now may eventually flatten out, resulting in stud torque becoming uneven and presumably leading to another HG leak.

If we get another 90K miles out of it, will check head stud torque when replacing timing belt, etc.

DOC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Keeping the heat, presumably cabin heat, on doesn't matter. There is no on/off valve in the coolant lines to/from the heater core so coolant flows thru it at all times per both the FSM and personal inspection (I'm 99.999% sure on the latter). What controls whether heat is supplied to the cabin are the blend doors that route air flow over or not over the heater core.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:41 pm 
LOST Addict

So, when running the AC, the air is both heated and cooled? Or, there are separate paths for cool vs heated air?

DOC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

DOC4444 wrote:
So, when running the AC, the air is both heated and cooled? Or, there are separate paths for cool vs heated air?

DOC

The blend door either allows incoming air to pass over the heater core or AC Evap,or both in some degree depending on the temp setting you have selected.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep separate paths which I'll admit seems really odd to me and way over complicated since that system design requires both blend doors and direction (defrost, dash vent, floor, etc) doors and associated actuators. In older days there was a valve, manual or electric, in the coolant line to the heater core that controlled how much hot coolant flowed to the heater core; that design does not require blend doors and replacing a bad valve is/was certainly easier than dealing with blend door issues.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:37 pm 
LOST Junkie

To answer the original question, I was one of the first people to install ARP studs, and I decided to do so without replacing the HG. So far, with about 12 k miles since, no more coolant leaks.

2005 Liberty CRD- ARP studs, Fumoto, Hayden FC, inline Tstat, ETechno 7v GP, Platinum P1, in-tank lift pump.
1983 Volvo D24T
1981 Volvo D24
Dodge Cummins TD
Case 580B
Mitsubishi MT180 diesel
Kubota BX25 diesel

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
There was a minor concern after the job as to whether the coolant might still be migrating into the overflow, however I haven't heard from Doc in a while, so I am gathering that the coolant was drawn back in at night and the system was just "breathing" normally with expansion and contraction.

SOME coolant movement into the overflow is normal with expansion on a fully-topped-system, and while I try to get the systems as full as possible when refilling... His had a bit in the overflow from the leak that probably got drawn back in on the first few cooling cycles. If there is an air pocket to start with, that will absorb some of the pressure of a hot engine / expanded coolant... But as it migrates to the bottle, a vacuum will be created on cool-down. If there is any water in the overflow, that will displace the air pocket and eventually completely fill the system. After that point, any expansion will create pressure first, then some coolant in the overflow.

THIS IS NORMAL.

What is not normal is coolant continuing to migrate OUT and not back in when the engine cools, and / or pressure created in a cold-and-vented coolant bottle. If your coolant alarm goes off, top off the bottle and continue driving. If the alarm goes off again in a relatively short amount of time... Obviously that coolant is going SOMEWHERE, and you need to start investigating.

For a fast test if you have a very very minor HG leak, connect a length of tubing onto the overflow nipple under the cap, and run it into a jug of water. If you see bubbles at idle... You *may* have a leak. I do not know if this test is fully definitive, however after replacing Doc's gasket, the water bottle test showed no bubbles at idle, and the bubbles when revving the engine may have been from the air in the system migrating around. We HAD just filled it after all. To my knowledge, it is not bubbling any more.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

geordi wrote:
For a fast test if you have a very very minor HG leak, connect a length of tubing onto the overflow nipple under the cap, and run it into a jug of water. If you see bubbles at idle... You *may* have a leak. I do not know if this test is fully definitive, however after replacing Doc's gasket, the water bottle test showed no bubbles at idle, and the bubbles when revving the engine may have been from the air in the system migrating around. We HAD just filled it after all. To my knowledge, it is not bubbling any more.

Great way to test for a bad cap,about it.A very small HG leak you may never notice,it's when it becomes a bad leak is when you start noticing it via coolant ejecting out the cap and white smoke out the tail pipe.

In a closed cooling system like what every KJ uses(besides '07+ 3.7's) you always must have air in the system that get's compressed(and may get expelled under normal conditions) in the coolant tank when hot.I don't know why some KJ's came with a 16psi cap and all aftermarket caps are only rated at 16psi as the correct psi cap should be 18psi.