It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2006 CRD only reaches 3000 rpm
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:08 pm 
LOST Newbie

mass-hole wrote:
Head413 wrote:
I'm having the same issues as the original poster.

Right off start it will run fine for a bit. Once it warms up it starts doing the 3000rpm thing.

Shop said its throwing a EGR stuck open code. Options?

It was running fine. I had just gotten it back after the timing belt/water pump/thermostat service.

Maybe now that it can actually reach operating temp its chocking on the EGR crap.??

Block the EGR with a plate? I dont think the engine would self limit because the EGR is stuck open, maybe its just suffocating because the amount of exhaust recirculating into the intake if it truly is stuck.

Is this difficult to do.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Several thoughts that might be worth :2cents:
1. blocking the EGR is not technically hard although access is modestly challenging. Just need to fab a blocking plate like the one in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78238 . Of course if you have an SEGR or GDE tune you can just get his kit.
2. FYI the EGR can be removed and cleaned. If you want to try that PM me and I can supply links.
3. I wonder if you have an issue with the Flow Control Valve for some reason limiting boost and RPMs. Remove driver side CAC hose; look inside FCV for 2 small screws holding butterfly in place; remove screws (don't lose) and butterfly; reinstall CAC hose; see if problem is solved.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:57 pm 
LOST Newbie

papaindigo wrote:
Several thoughts that might be worth :2cents:
1. blocking the EGR is not technically hard although access is modestly challenging. Just need to fab a blocking plate like the one in viewtopic.php?f=5&t=78238 . Of course if you have an SEGR or GDE tune you can just get his kit.
2. FYI the EGR can be removed and cleaned. If you want to try that PM me and I can supply links.
3. I wonder if you have an issue with the Flow Control Valve for some reason limiting boost and RPMs. Remove driver side CAC hose; look inside FCV for 2 small screws holding butterfly in place; remove screws (don't lose) and butterfly; reinstall CAC hose; see if problem is solved.

This is much more difficult than it sounds. I put my fingers in it and it is spring loaded open but will close with a good push of my fingers.
I believe than my CRD is in limp mode and I need to find a code reader(besides the dealer that will charge me)that can reset it. All the auto stores are worthless.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:25 pm 
LOST Addict

I had success all the time with the cheap acctron that you can buy from Autozone, I think it's about 35-40? You can buy one and then return it if you don't want to keep it. But it clears and reads codes. I have another higher end acctron that can't even communicate with crd. Another alternative is a blue tooth for obd2 and an android phone with torque pro, that also works fine.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:02 pm 

rotordriver wrote:
mass-hole wrote:
Head413 wrote:
I'm having the same issues as the original poster.

Right off start it will run fine for a bit. Once it warms up it starts doing the 3000rpm thing.

Shop said its throwing a EGR stuck open code. Options?

It was running fine. I had just gotten it back after the timing belt/water pump/thermostat service.

Maybe now that it can actually reach operating temp its chocking on the EGR crap.??

Block the EGR with a plate? I dont think the engine would self limit because the EGR is stuck open, maybe its just suffocating because the amount of exhaust recirculating into the intake if it truly is stuck.

Is this difficult to do.

It is repetitively easy to make a plate and slip it between the exhaust feed pipe and the EGR valve to disable it. :)
Let us know if you need help? :wink:

Block off plate for the EGR dimensions:
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76576

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Sweeet. Already have some sheet steel from fixing my Mazda's floor!

Thanks for the plate dims. , I'll purchase some shears next time I'm in town.

SO went for a drive ( 600 miles one way. Hauling beer down to Summer Beer Fest. ) It's been running fine but smoking like a bro truck on a cruise night at part throttle. The EGR stuck is causing a misfire and I'm sure I'm losing some low end boost too. But as I was not even 50 miles from home when suddenly my brakes all decided to engage more and more. AHHHHHHHHH!!! ( It all got fixed and I know why it happened, my fault lets just say. :banghead: )

So we get back on the road and the smoking is gone but its back to not revving more the 3.3K. Hmmmmmmm I bet when the brakes got fixed they plugged the MAF back in. BAM. Pull over, yank the plug, and we're back in black.

I'm making the plate this weekend. Then sending the ecm off to GDE.

Side note. Averaged 29+mpg cruising 60-65 across the UP and 25-27 soaring down I-75 @ 75-80.