It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oil bypass filters
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

I've been considering installing an oil bypass system...both for the added filtration and as a place to put an oil pressure sensor. I've been looking at a system like the Amsoil BMK-13 where the oil filter and bypass filter are remotely mounted. I think the system could be mounted on the transmission skid plate between the skid plate and transmission. This would only require hoses several inches long.

The thing that concerns me is the size of the hoses/fittings. The inlet of the factory filter nipple mic's at 0.660 inches. The Amsoil hoses in their BMK-13 kit have an i.d. of 13/32" (0.410"). This is over a 50% reduction in the cross sectional area. The similar units on Ebay don't look any better. In doing internet research I found many instances where Dodge/Superduty owners had removed their BMK-13 systems because it wouldn't flow enough oil for their larger diesel engines.

Does anyone have one of these systems installed, or an opinion if it would work okay?

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:56 pm 
LOST Member

Stan
Their many that feel its to small. But the truth is if it were Amsoil would not be selling. Also the big diesel takes way more oil the the little CRD. I have install many of these on Dodge Dakotas with the 318 motors with zero problems.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

It is too small for the large engines. The CRD is in't a large engine.
Plus, the stock full flow oil filter is the same as a 2.0 DOHC focus. This doesn't say much for the stock filtration!

If you are really worried, then just buy a normal bypass, like the BMK11, that taps into oil flow at the pressure sender or elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:37 am 
LOST Member

Thanks for the replies. It's good to hear experience talking versus my speculation.

Greg - When you had the oil pan you used to design the Fumoto adapter, did you ever check to see if the oil gallery plug towards the front of the pan is NPT?

ORM, air filter mod, and less restrictive exhaust has increased my 'everyday' driving 3 mpg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:55 pm 
LOST Member

Stan
I just measured it and its a 22mm-1.5 thread. It does appear however to be a taper thread. I need to do some research and see if the British Pipe thread matches this.

Greg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks, Greg. Now you can make/sell an adapter for that spot for attaching senders or bypass filters. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:13 pm 
LOST Member

Did you wind up installing it? I've got one sitting in the box and I am considering it.
-c