It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HELP PLEASE! My 05 is pushing out black smoke/check engine
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:46 pm 
LOST Member

CRD running sluggish and louder than normal through the exhaust. A lot of black smoke upon acceleration with my check engine light on. This started hours after i got a new altenatornand serp belt ( probably unrelated). I do have a green diesel eco tune . Thanks for any imput. :banghead:

Post subject: Re: HELP PLEASE! My 05 is pushing out black smoke/check engi
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Check both CAC hoses for leaks, have to pull off engine to do so; while off check air filter to turbo hose for crack/tear in bottom just in front of turbo; while there check turbo fan for play (should be little to none); check boost pressure solenoid (bypass viewtopic.php?f=5&t=70602&p=757348&hilit=boost+solenoid#p757348); check vacuum line to vacuum tower where the line goes thru the heat resistant tubing for melted line (can throw a P0299 code); check variable vanes for sticking (per GDE "By-passing of the on/off solenoid is very straight forward. Trace the vacuum line output from the black plastic reservoir to the input of the on/off solenoid. Remove this vacuum line and plug it directly into the turbo EVM on the port labeled "VAC". The turbo EVM is the one with the blue rubber isolator and vacuum line running directly to turbo.")

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:59 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks. I do have samco hoses on my jeep. During observing all hoses I noticed black exhust residue on my samco hose at the entry spot into the turbo. Also I did replace the hose from the airbox to the front of the turbo. When I removed it just now there was a little crack around the clamp not sure if it is big enough to make a difference. Also put my finger into the turbo and I can spin the blades.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:09 pm 
LOST Member

Also this is oil residue under the turbo housing when I look up from under the jeep. When I disconnected the samco hose from on top of the turbo is it normal that there is oil there?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The oil residue is from the hole in the intake hose. Fix it and your smoke will most likely go away. If you have ran it like that for a length of time and the smoke doesn't go away, you've probably smoked a rocker or lifter.

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:02 am 
LOST Member

What hole in the intake hose? Didn't see one

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:59 am 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Black smoke means you have too much fuel for not enough air - Since the computer hasn't been changed recently, the amount of air must be different. This change will be AFTER the turbo, simply having damage on the intake hose from the airbox won't actually cause the computer to mis-read the air and inject too much fuel. However, the computer is expecting a certain volume of air based on the boost it is requesting, and it doesn't fact-check against the pressure sensor to see if that amount actually got to the intake.

You have a hole in one of your hoses somewhere, or (since they are Samco hoses) they are not properly installed / clamped down, or some other damage / leak has occurred. You have a boost leak. Once the source is located and dealt with, the performance should return to normal almost instantly.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:16 am 
LOST Member

Thanks ill check my samco hoses and my airbox to turbo hose again. I haven't changed my computer in over a year since the gde eco tune. Its strange that all this happened after my alternator and serp belt were changed on friday.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:11 am 
LOST Junkie

shadow63 wrote:
Thanks ill check my samco hoses and my airbox to turbo hose again. I haven't changed my computer in over a year since the gde eco tune. Its strange that all this happened after my alternator and serp belt were changed on friday.

Do have any codes read out?
Somebody may have bumped a connector or a hose while replacing the Serpentine belt.
Was the correct alternator fitted and connected correctly though I cannot see that causing black smoke! :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:11 pm 
LOST Member

After checking all hoses I brought it to my mechanic and he did a smoke test. Turned out I have a crack in my inter cooler . Now I have find one other than dealers price. Thanks for the responses

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:20 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
Where is it broken? In the plastic or the aluminum? It may be possible to repair it, depending...

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 am 
LOST Member

It was a bad solenoid and intercooler. Thats for the help.