It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: HELP!! Elusive Turbo Problem
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:17 pm 
LOST Junkie

There's a thread almost just like this right now, guy jumped the boost solenoid, did you try that?

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I tried that early on, even replaced the solenoid with a new one.

If I'm getting low boost, and it's a brand new turbo with the EGR deleted, then there has to be a leak, or vacuum problem.

I think I'll try to test for flow across the intercooler. Maybe it's all gummed up, or might even have a leak.

Did I mention I'm ready to spend some time out from under the hood of my CRD???

2005 CRD: EHM, ORM, Intake Elbow Kit (EGR Delete), Isloated EGR Coolant Circuit, Samco Turbo Hoses, Timing Belt at 110k miles (new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator hoses, new idler pulley...from ID Parts), Etecno1 Glow Plugs, New OEM Turbo at 130k miles... approaching 140k as of Dec 14.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell... But it is really hot here on Earth...
JEEP: Just Empty Every Pocket.

Hang on to that turbo, you'd never know when someone might need it. Sorry that it didn't solve the problem.

Email jeep [at] maincomputer [dot] com - BOARD MESSAGING IS BROKEN
Over 125 CRDs currently driving with my timing belt, rockers, or ARP Studs.
Bad noises = REALLY bad things.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:41 pm 
LOST Junkie

Believe me I know, spent most of the winter under mine, but now I have a fixed geometry turbo that I don't have to do stuff like this.
Pressure test the intercooler and if that holds, its most likely something internally.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:51 am 
LOST Addict

maxf15,

Are you running a tune or is the ecm stock?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

GDE: Stock tune. F37.

2005 CRD: EHM, ORM, Intake Elbow Kit (EGR Delete), Isloated EGR Coolant Circuit, Samco Turbo Hoses, Timing Belt at 110k miles (new water pump, new thermostat, new radiator hoses, new idler pulley...from ID Parts), Etecno1 Glow Plugs, New OEM Turbo at 130k miles... approaching 140k as of Dec 14.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:37 pm 
LOST Addict

With the stock tune and the mods you have done, I believe you could be in a limp mode condition.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:48 pm 
LOST Newbie

Success!!! :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA:

So I figured a CRD with multiple CEDs and no power/black smoke would be worth zilch, so I went back to square one.

Sometime during my troubleshooting I installed a vacuum check valve backwards. It's the one in the supply line between the tee under the coolant bottle and the vac box beside the solenoid.

It may well be that the EGR was the only problem from the beginning and I never needed a new turbo. (Likely, since I was getting 21 psi at WOT after doing the vacuum hose mod the first time.) I must have messed with it again and put it in backwards before installing the turbo. The check valve is bigger on one side, but I had used smaller lines. Guess I won't have to wonder about the health of my turbo for a while.

Man, I forgot just how zippy these things can be! With the EGR delete and the cat removed she's a little beast.

Thanks for all the leads guys; you're what makes this forum what it is.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

maxf15 wrote:
Success!!! :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA: :pepper: :BANANA:

So I figured a CRD with multiple CEDs and no power/black smoke would be worth zilch, so I went back to square one.

Sometime during my troubleshooting I installed a vacuum check valve backwards. It's the one in the supply line between the tee under the coolant bottle and the vac box beside the solenoid.

It may well be that the EGR was the only problem from the beginning and I never needed a new turbo. (Likely, since I was getting 21 psi at WOT after doing the vacuum hose mod the first time.) I must have messed with it again and put it in backwards before installing the turbo. The check valve is bigger on one side, but I had used smaller lines. Guess I won't have to wonder about the health of my turbo for a while.

Man, I forgot just how zippy these things can be! With the EGR delete and the cat removed she's a little beast.

Thanks for all the leads guys; you're what makes this forum what it is.

So the new turbo is what fixed it. I'm having trouble with no power.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Actually I'm convinced it was the vacuum line that fixed it... but the new turbo helped with power!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am 
LOST Addict

Are overboost codes not common? I was getting them non-stop while towing my buddies 5k lb boat. I had the thing WOT throttle for multiple minutes straight trying to pull hills on I93 in new hampshire, so I would have thought that would have cleared the turbo if that was the issue, but the code just kept reoccurring. It almost never happens during normal driving though.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:43 am 
LOST Addict

If the turbo vanes are not fully opening in under sustained high load operation, it could lead to overboosting. If you verify full vane travel, then we could dial back the juice a bit on your vehicle for a little added margin.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:45 am 

What code are you getting?? P0234??
When is the last time you replaced the MAP sensor? It could be the problem telling the OBC that you have more boost than you actually have...
some causes:
- Boost pressure sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty boost pressure sensor
another thought!
Make sure the turbo vane actuator is moving freely, not sticking in a high boost condition which would not allow it to not back off on the boost when the OBC tells it to or fast enough... If this was the problem though, I would think you would see it at other times, not just when towing.... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve