It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CRD won't start HELP!!!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

The way to fix the Jeep is by the use of two items.

The first is a gallon of gasoline, yes gasoline.
As a former 5 year owner of a CRD (bought new) I can say that in the 3 diesel cars I have owned (Rabbit and Volvo 760) the only one that could benefit from the use of gasoline was the CRD.

That brings me to the second item needed to fix your jeep: a match. Pour gasoline liberally inside the car and add a lit match.

Problem solved!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:29 am 
LOST Junkie

flyfisherman99 wrote:
Tach shows about 300RPM while cranking. What is the ASV? If you are referring to the electrically controlled valve on the intake, it is open. I do not recall seeing any red light on in the dash cluster but I will double check tomorrow. GDE - Keith assisted me once already so I think I will reach out to him again.

Check that all the cluster lights do light up for a while when the ignition is turned on...in case there is a burnt out LED.
You should see the red Led for the SKIS come ON for a short while then go out....if it flashes or stays ON there is a problem with the SKIS. :?

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 2:11 am 
LOST Newbie

I know this is a very old post but I seem to have the same problem. Was this jeep ever fixed if so what was the problem please help

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 8:11 am 
LOST Addict

There have been many many threads about CRDs cranking but not starting. All with various problems and solutions.
Some easy things first:
1. bleed all the air out of the fuel system
2. change the fuel filter
3. check ASD fuse and swap ASD relay
4. Is there a red dot lit on the dash? If so, the problem is with the ignition key programming or the module that senses the key.
5. check for codes
6. have battery tested
7. replace crank sensor

If the engine is not getting fuel it wont start. The most common problem is with air getting sucked into the fuel lines at the fuel filter head. Replace the fuel filter assembly with a new mopar unit if its never been done before.

Also gonna need to know the maintenance history of your vehicle.
What year is it? How many miles does it have? Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Cranks but will not start. Bought the jeep in a non running condition. Replaced timing belt/components as well as ALL 16 rocker arms due to damage. I had the intake off, obviously and the fuel system was opened. I CAN get it to start on starting fluid but dies out. I have primed the fuel fliter and purged the air from it. DOUBLE CHECKED WIRE CONNECTIONS FOR SECURITY AND CORRECT PLACEMENT. I HAVE CRANKED THE ENGINE SO MUCH I KILLED THE STARTER, which i will be replacing later today. DO I NEED TO PURGE THE FUEL RAIL??? IF SO HOW IS THIS DONE?? This is my first diesel, I am a good mechanic but apparently I am no Diesel Savvy.its a 2.5 crd,does the 2.5crd need injector coding

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:52 am 
LOST Junkie

toyotec wrote:
Cranks but will not start. Bought the jeep in a non running condition. Replaced timing belt/components as well as ALL 16 rocker arms due to damage. I had the intake off, obviously and the fuel system was opened. I CAN get it to start on starting fluid but dies out. I have primed the fuel fliter and purged the air from it. DOUBLE CHECKED WIRE CONNECTIONS FOR SECURITY AND CORRECT PLACEMENT. I HAVE CRANKED THE ENGINE SO MUCH I KILLED THE STARTER, which i will be replacing later today. DO I NEED TO PURGE THE FUEL RAIL??? IF SO HOW IS THIS DONE?? This is my first diesel, I am a good mechanic but apparently I am no Diesel Savvy.its a 2.5 crd,does the 2.5crd need injector coding

Where are you based?
The 2.5 CRD is an Export model...what year is your CRD?

You do need injector coding ie. there is a number on each injector that should be coded into the ECM but this is only to get best consumption...will have no effect on starting up.

Have you checked all fuses under the hood and inside the cabin?

Make sure you have not swapped one of the injector connectors with the fuel pressure sensor plug or MAP plug.

Is the fuel filter new! You should at least have the Raycor Head fitted which is a good thing!

Have you primed the fuel filter head by:

Screwing out the nylon screw at the top of the plunger using a coin or large screwdriver.
Pull up the plunger and pump hard a few times.
Open up the brass 10 mm bolt on the side to let the air/water escape and tighten it up again...this step is left out of the Service Manual!
Repeat the above a few times.

You can fit a section of clear plastic tubing on the input and output of the fuel filter head to see if there is fuel flowing without any air bubbles.

The early CRDs...which means the 2.5 Export model...has an amber "Key" icon light up on the dash for a few seconds when ignition is turned ON...if the SKIS anti-theft system is installed.

This icon needs to go out after a few seconds and must not flash at you or stay ON....this would mean a problem with SKIS.

Try swap over the ASD Relay under the hood with the Blower Relay next to it.

You can pull out codes using the "Key" trick on models before 2006:

Turn the ignition key ON/OFF rapidly 4 times without turning over the engine.
After the 4th ON time, leave the ignition ON...the Odometer display should display the stored codes in sequence from the oldest code...which may not be relevant...to the newest code.

Some owners say turn the key ON/OFF 3 times...some say 5 times....I know that 4 times works for me....try it a few times!
The codes are not erased using this method and sometimes the last two digits are transposed which can confuse you.
Fuel problems do not post a code and nor do ABS and Airbag errors.
The codes are recorded only once so even if you have multiple occurances of a certain code...you will see it only once.

Once you have the newest code you may have something valid to work on..may be the camshaft or crankshaft sensor.

Try remove the ASD Relay and identify the female pins 30 and 87 inside the Relay socket.
Briefly jumper these two pins together and see if the engine starts.....I say briefly because maybe the ECU is preventing the ASD Relay from energizing due to a major issue such as low oil pressure! You can safely try this if your SKIS icon stays ON all the time though.

You can download the KJ Service Manuals here but the most important thing to download is the section marked "2.5_2.8 export_diesel" which covers the early Export CRDs which have some differences to the USA models and the later Export models:

http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 11:19 am 
LOST Junkie

Do not use ether on new diesels with glow plugs. You can do irreparable damage with one wrong squirt,.

You can get lucky 100 times or you can ruin the engine first squirt

2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 142,000 miles New engine 2-2014, Green Eco tune, FS2500 bypass filter Weeks elbow, European Torque converter, brakes front UCA's wheel bearing and front hubs. Front hitch OEM lift pump
98 K2500 Suburban 6.5td
96 K1500 " 6.5td
95 2 door Tahoe 6.5td
94 K3500 cc srw 5 speed 6.5td
91 International Model 6 speed spicer 4700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had the same problem. Sometime my CRD would crank but would not start Put a new primer/low pressure pump in the fuel tank. It may though a code of P2294 sometimes. Putting in a new pump part number R05149832AB fixed my Jeep Liberty CRD. My Jeep has 131,000 mile on it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I did a search for that part number and nothing came up. Where did you get it? What was the exact part you replaced? What year CRD?

Thanks in advanced!

Hayden Heavy Duty Fan Clutch, Nylon Mechanical Fan
OME Lift F/R, Al's A-Arms, 245/75/16 Cooper Discoverer AT3s
Gen 2 Fuel Head, In-Tank Lift Pump

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 pm 
LOST Newbie

Similar issue here. I have a 2006 CRD with 150K on it. Had a few minor issues at first but solid overall and well maintained. Went to start one day and cranks but no start. Pulled code P2294 FPS. Cleaned connectors, purged fuel filter assembly etc to no avail. Read some posts about the ASD relay and sure enough I pulled the relay and swapped it with the blower motor relay and she cranked right up. Blower still works so I am guessing that the mere act of pulling and replacing the relays was enough to clean the contacts. Have on my to-do list now to pull all fuses/relays and do a thorough contact cleaning.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:38 pm 
LOST Member

I had a similar issue, car started fine in the morning, but would not start at lunch time. bleed the low pressure side at the filter and it did not help. I scanned the codes and had a P0183 fuel temp sensor code, still no help.

then I search and found this thread and then bleed cylinder 4 injector and it ran. I needed a 13mm open end wrench to hold the tube adapter still and a 17mm line wrench to loosen the fuel line nut. also a flat head screw driver to remove the clip on the plastic tube that goes in the top of the injector. there is a aluminum hexagonal mount that holds up the wiring harness that i had to remove as well. multi-year late thanks to the poster who suggests to bleed #4 injector.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 9:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi All. I was going to start a new thread but after reading all the pages of this post, I checked my battery voltage and it was 12.25vdc. I left the meter connected and went to crank. I noticed the battery voltage drop to 10vdc approximately while the starter was running. I went and got a spare battery out of the garage, hooked it up in parallel with jumper cables and guess what, the Liberty started. So tomorrow I’ll be purchasing a new higher capacity battery to support starting my CRD. Thank y’all for your posts and for minimizing the time I had to drive my daughter’s green Barbie Beetle to work.

Just tying to keep it on the road

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:32 am 
LOST Addict

Excellent someone who actually put their time and effort in to find the solution to their problem though I am sure there are others we do not hear from. Actually it is difficult to find many things by searching even from outside lost searches.

It would be nice to have a sticky with links to the threads covering many of the common or more asked about topics so as not to repeat so much detail.

06 D Khaki Lim 126K wkII Eur TC
05 D khaki Lim 145k refurbishing
All CRDS: Fumoto, Lift , Fan Shroud mod, fuel head Gen II, SAMCOS,self TB, 2 Mic filt, Hayden

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:44 pm 

TKB4 wrote:
Excellent someone who actually put their time and effort in to find the solution to their problem though I am sure there are others we do not hear from. Actually it is difficult to find many things by searching even from outside lost searches.
It would be nice to have a sticky with links to the threads covering many of the common or more asked about topics so as not to repeat so much detail.

This search instruction line works quite well in most browsers, I use it often when searching for a particular thread subject:

https://www.google.com/search?q="addtexthere"%20site:www.lostjeeps.com/forum/

replace "addtexthere" with keyword, words, or key phrase and paste it into the search bar of your browser or click on link above and then replace text. :wink:
----------
Once I find the thread I am looking for if I want to save it, I simply bookmark it by clicking on LOST's "Bookmark topic" (top left hand corner). Once you do this you can go back to it at anytime just like a sticky by clicking on "User Control Panel", then click on "Manage Bookmarks". This will provide you with a list of all your Bookmarks within LOST and you simply click on the one you have saved and want to go to..... 8)

:D

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount