It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: best fuel mileage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

Just did a trip from upstate ny to Columbia SC and I averaged 32 that's the best my crd has done and before I left I made a cold air intake of sorts

Post subject: Re: best fuel mileage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:42 pm 
LOST Junkie

That's really good! You must have a GDE tune, right?

I have gotten 31mpg several times on flat interstate, only if I avoid going much over 65mph.
My results are with the GDE Eco-tune, and stock size all season radials.

Daily driving, 27-28mpg.
I'm one of those guys who are easy on the go pedal, and avoid revving above 2,500 rpm.
Comes with old age, I guess. :|

#1 CRD, 174,000 miles. Eco tune, Samco hoses. Mobil1 0-40w used since day one
#2 CRD 143,000 miles. Bought used (unknown history) with 100,000 miles. Samco hoses.
Eco tune, new rockers, and 5 volt glow plugs installed at 124,000 miles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

Yes I have the gde tune tires are bigger than stock and I cruised around 75-80 mph

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

devilkin4 wrote:
and before I left I made a cold air intake of sorts

Could you elaborate?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:07 am 
LOST Newbie

Took the air box out, bought a 3 in muffler coupler and a large cone spectra (bought at oreilys) blue filter bolted it up and away I went. If I could figure out how to load pics I'd show ya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:31 am 
LOST Member

Best I have done 3x is 33. This was straight highway, no stops, rpm never over 2000. Hand calculated not corrected. My Jeep has the Eco tune, no lift(yet), and stock size destination a/it's (poor tires).

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:13 am 
LOST Junkie

What size tires do you use, I average 26-27 highway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:28 am 
LOST Addict

I've seen 36.5 mpg coming back from New Hampshire to MA one time. I typically see 34 on a long highway trip giving it enough time to creep up. This is stock tires @44psi cold and the mods in my Sig.

I think that my EVIC reads a bit high though, Like 2 mpg or so.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

EVIC mpg is a joke at best, usually way high. Also odometer can be off as much as +-5%. Best bet is to check odometer with a GPS and adjust hand calculated mpg as needed. If you want you can compare hand calculated mpg with what the EVIC says and get a general idea of how to mentally adjust the EVIC reading to more closely equal reality.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:13 pm 
LOST Member

If we are going to bring up with the mods listed below I get about 100 mpg of diesel in around town driving and 250 mpg of diesel on the highway. Veg oil is about .03 cents per gallon plus an hours work for every 50 gallons. If you add in labor that is about 30 cents per gallon. My Jeep does not have an EVIC. Last month I drove 2019 miles and used 19.7 gallons of diesel it was $78. That is 102.5 mpg of diesel. Or about .04 of a Dollar per mile.

I am not sure how regular people drive petro powered cars. It breaks my heart every month when I fill the diesel tank and it takes $75-80 and I think that is what I make in a days work after takes.

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:49 pm 
LOST Member

striperman36 wrote:

The PO put stock size on. I wanna say 225/65R16. But that is off the top of my head.

I don't bother with trying to figure the amount off it could be. The odometer is reasonably close, according to the mile markers on long stretches of hwy. That's good enough for me. I mostly use the mpg calc as a diagnostic monitoring tool. If the mileage drops well below normal I start checking for the cause. Like a dragging brake.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:37 pm 
LOST Addict

Greasey Bob wrote:
If we are going to bring up with the mods listed below I get about 100 mpg of diesel in around town driving and 250 mpg of diesel on the highway. Veg oil is about .03 cents per gallon plus an hours work for every 50 gallons. If you add in labor that is about 30 cents per gallon. My Jeep does not have an EVIC. Last month I drove 2019 miles and used 19.7 gallons of diesel it was $78. That is 102.5 mpg of diesel. Or about .04 of a Dollar per mile.

I am not sure how regular people drive petro powered cars. It breaks my heart every month when I fill the diesel tank and it takes $75-80 and I think that is what I make in a days work after takes.

I would love to do this, and started to look into it, but I just dont drive enough miles consistently to make it worthwhile since you have to wait for the engine warm before switching over and then having to switch back before you shut down.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 pm 
LOST Addict

mass-hole wrote:
Greasey Bob wrote:

I would love to do this, and started to look into it, but I just dont drive enough miles consistently to make it worthwhile since you have to wait for the engine warm before switching over and then having to switch back before you shut down.

I've heard people either buying kits, either building their own, both include a warmer with glow plug(s) that would allow you to start using bio right after the start of the engine, at least in the summer. One of the coolest idea is on Mercedessource.com.

https://mercedessource.com/problems/svo-biodiesel/installing-a-mercedessource-diesel-vegetable-oil-fuel-conversion

https://mercedessource.com/problems/svo-biodiesel/converting-an-older-mercedes-diesel-run-vegetable-oil-svo-using-the

Another alternative would be to use cng (compressed natural gas), truckers had been using it for years, it works in tandem with diesel, but replacing part of the air which helps to a "perfect" burn. Most people say they get 30-60% better combined mileage, depending on the engine. Not the best choice compared with home made diesel, but decent for "city" folks.

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:48 am 
LOST Newbie

striperman36 wrote:

My tires are 225 75 16 Goodyear something the tires need to be changed the tread is wearing out. Only thing I've done to my crd is the eco tune , a homemade air intake with long filter and straight pipe 2.5 . I was getting around 28-29 before I made the air intake.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:06 pm 
LOST Member

striperman36 wrote:

I tend to get the same, and lower, sometimes below 20, in around town driving. Best ever was just above 27. It's disappointing and I can't believe some of the numbers I see on this forum. This is hand calculated, and my odo is only off by about 2% or so, barely worth mentioning. I still haven't had a chance to look at the brakes... Would be thrilled if that's all it is.

Tow Package | Engine/Tranny/TC Skids | Fumoto F102S | Roof Rack | USA Spec PA-11CHR | EVIC | auto dimming mirror | Yoko Geolander A/T-S LT225/75R16

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:54 pm 
LOST Member

"I would love to do this, and started to look into it, but I just dont drive enough miles consistently to make it worthwhile since you have to wait for the engine warm before switching over and then having to switch back before you shut down."

Most of my trips are less than 5 miles. My wife's new commute is 8ish miles. But I am cheating since I live in south florida and it is always hot. It heats up fast and the flush time is about 10 seconds. I am not a fan of glow plug heaters. I design my own system to go with that vehicle. In New England might not work as well. My system has be run down to zero degrees and it still works great!

2006 Liberty CRD -- Spare tire replaced with Veg tank, semi filter for veg, FPHE, Electric common rail line heater, fill vegetable oil tank every 3 days. ORM, EHM comes out in front of the passenger rear tire. Wife has new job and 20 mile round trip to work. I borrow her Jeep a lot and live in South Florida.