It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Crankshaft Position Sensor.Where is it???????
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum. I've a 2005 KJ 2.8l crd in the UK.

I'm trying to locate the position of the crankshaft position sensor as I'm going to change it, as have had same fault occur twice in a week. Took it to my mechanic, who read and told me sensor what was the problem,he cleared the codes. fault reoccured yesterday.

So all I have to do now is locate the darn sensor.

So hopefully you guys on the other side of the pond, the home of the JEEP can help me??????

Pete

Post subject: Re: Crankshaft Position Sensor.Where is it???????
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

See my post today at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79631

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys.

It doesnt look to bad a job to do. So may have a go myself.

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

Crankshaft position sensor is behind a heat shield on the aft passenger side of the block inboard of the exhaust pipe. It is under the coolant reservoir looking from the top. It can be hard to see from below, but that seems to be the best way to reach it. Make sure you spray fasteners with WD40/PB blaster first, mine were tight! !

#1 2006 Silver CRD Limited, flipped spare tire, ASFIR skids, GDE TCM & Ecotune, blue SAMCOs, 5V glow plugs, Rotella T6, intank fuel pump, Gen2 fuel head, new crank sensor, JBA 2.5 in silver package, Provent and ARB bumper
#2 2006 Metallic Green Limited; currently DOA
#3 2005 Silver project; currently not running...don't judge me

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

PS - I don't recall if you have to move the coolant tank to get underneath it for access but if you do a) it can be lifted up and pivoted over the fender without breaking the "seal" and losing coolant although you may need to pop and reroute an obvious hose, b) the tank rests on a metal flange that slides into a groove in the bottom of the coolant tank so you have to slid the tank forward off the flange before lifting up, and c) don't forget you might need to unplug the coolant level sensor wire on the bottom of the tank

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks guys,
I'll investigate tomorrow. Hopefully new sensor maybe here.
Pete

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Was the error code P0335?

I was thinking Camshaft earlier, and you said Crankshaft. Here you go:

Torque Specs:

Crankshaft Position
Sensor Bolts
10.8nm 8ft/lbs 96in/lbs

Location and instructions to install/remove:

:mrgreen: And there's your smile, SERVICE WITH A SMILE!!!

GDE ECO Tune / Fumoto Valve / E-Tecno GX3123 7v Glow Plugs / 2nd Gen Fuel Head / Mishimoto RED Hoses / Rockers/Lifters @ 114k / Hayden FC + 11 Blade Nylon / Sears P1 Battery / Transgo 45RFE-HD2 Reprogramming Kit / Timken Front Bearings

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 pm 
LOST Junkie

Don't forget there liberty's are right hand drive, so when you say, under coolant reservoir, there's could be in a different spot. That brake booster has to go somewhere in that location....
Regardless its on the exhaust side of the engine, behind a heat shield like stated earlier.

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:30 pm 
LOST Member

Hexus, you are mistaken on where the cam sensor is, you have the fuel rail pressure solenoid mislabeled. The cam sensor is on the passenger side of the engine. It is the sensor that has the same electrical connectors as the injectors.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:42 am 
LOST Newbie

You guys are being really helpfull. More than I can say about my own country's Jeep Forums!!!!!!!!!! Same question posted for over 36hours I've had 1 reply so far. This is it .
Re: CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:09:35 PM »
ReplyQuote
Should be un-plug old one from wiring & unscrew the sensor from the body as far as I know

In future will be using this site for any problems I get..

Perhaps I should move to the USA.... I have more in common with you. Love trucks, 4x4, shooting, hunting.

Any ideas on getting a W/shop manual for my KJ CRD.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:05 am 
LOST Addict

petethejeep wrote:
You guys are being really helpfull. More than I can say about my own country's Jeep Forums!!!!!!!!!! Same question posted for over 36hours I've had 1 reply so far. This is it .
Re: CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 10:09:35 PM »
ReplyQuote
Should be un-plug old one from wiring & unscrew the sensor from the body as far as I know

In future will be using this site for any problems I get..

Perhaps I should move to the USA.... I have more in common with you. Love trucks, 4x4, shooting, hunting.

Any ideas on getting a W/shop manual for my KJ CRD.

This is the US Version, thanks to Sir Sam:

http://colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

he ones with serviceManual is what you want.T

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.