It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tools required for OAD (overrun alternator decoupler)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:08 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Digging into some noises on my accessory belt system leads me to think I should go ahead and get a set of the tools to do the OAD job right. Also, it'd be nice to have a thread that calls this out with less searching.
From what I can tell, both the OEM and the recommended upgrade replacement (litens 920834) OAD use the 17mm hollow drive shell. What I can't figure out (without dis-assembly) is what the alternator spindle uses. The gates tool kit includes T50, H8, H10, S10 bits. It would be nice not to have to buy the entire service kit ($110) and only get the two parts I need. Unfortunately none of the shops near me rent them:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/search/Puller+Parts+&+Accessories/N0714/C2371.oap?year=2005&make=Jeep&model=Liberty&vi=1431569&brand=Gates%28R%29

Anyone know what size is used... and is it just one size?

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

Post subject: Re: Tools required for OAD (overrun alternator decoupler)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For a DIY cheap option see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=75841&p=796353&hilit=alternator#p796353 for a tool or the comment on that chat about using a 17mm allen socket and impact wrench.

Or idparts has a Lisle kit for $29.95 (http://idparts.com/catalog/product_info ... ts_id=3737) that would probably do the job but I'd double check that with Corey (on forum as cevans) before ordering.

Sold to LOST member my 05 Ltd, GDE Stg II turbo + TCM tune, SunCoast TC w. Transgo kit, Steiger window regulators, Samcos, Fumoto valve, 2nd gen filter head with Lub. Spec. bleeder, Hayden clutch & 11 blade fan, inverted spare, P-1 battery, BF Goodrich Long Trail TAs, Etecno1 glow plugs, timing belt at 50K miles/8 yrs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:53 pm 

Dan and all, Some additional info on the subject:
Advance Auto Parts lists the OEM Litens pulley for 60 bucks and it comes with the tool for install.
Quote:
65.3mm O.D.; 17mm I.D; 41mm width; ribbed running surface for a 6-rib serpentine belt ; high-grade steel construction. 17mm Hex bit driver Included for ease of installation.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/litens-overrunning-alternator-decoupling-oad-pulley-original-equipment-quality-920993a/10267300-P?searchTerm=alternator+decoupler+pulley#

A very good video to watch by Gates Belts on how to remove & install an ADP:
http://www.gates.com/products/automotive/passenger-car-and-light-truck/accessory-belt-drive-system/alternator-decoupler-pulleys-adp
WW :JEEPIN:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Papa and WW. For the record, 10mm female driver and 17mm male driver are the two contact points for the opposing force. Exactly what I needed.

I may see if the lowes right near the advance from which I already ordered the OAD has some of those parts in stock. As for the tool that's included with the pulley, it looks to just be a solid 17mm drive slug (i.e. not hollow). I noticed that some of the OAD manufacturers demonstrate a method of cracking open the alternator and holding the stator in a vice so as to not need the extra tools.....yeahnothanks. I'd rather spend the extra few dollars than have to disassemble that particular component.

..now as long as the clutch the rebuilt alternator came with has the same dimensions :) Worst case I buy a set of tools from ID which are about 1/3 the cost of the gates kit :pepper:

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

The Lisle kit worked great. That is what I used to put in the newer style decoupler recommended by Litens.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:09 pm 

If you have access to an impact wrench, it can be done using it and the socket only! :idea:
Done this many times on other alternator pulleys...you just have to have the feel for when tight is tight enough using an impact wrench! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:48 am 
LOST Addict

WWDiesel wrote:
If you have access to an impact wrench, it can be done using it and the socket only! :idea:
Done this many times on other alternator pulleys...you just have to have the feel for when tight is tight enough using an impact wrench! :wink:

Yea, impact rocks. Especially that now you can buy electric or even battery powered, like Milwaukee m18 3/4 drive with 1250lbs/ft torque, way better than most compressed air ones out there...

2005 kj CRD, samco, suncoast tc, provent, Kennedy lift pump, GDE ECO full torque, 2nd gen filter head, 245/70/16 a/t tires, mopar light bar, fumoto oil valve, OEM Skid Plates, ARB Front bumper and HD OME, tru cool LPD47391 40k GVW tranny cooler (stock cooler delete), FF Dynamics e-fan and shroud, rocker arms replaced, HDS2 190F thermostat.