It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Torque Converter?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 am 
LOST Member

As you can see I have 2 of these little critters and the are like night and day the way they drive.

When I go up a slight incline in cruse control at 65 MPH in my CRD it seems to bog down and the speed drops 1-2 MPH. Were as with the wife's CRD it don't bog at all and the speed stays constant.

Could this be the torque converter in mine going out?

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

Post subject: Re: Torque Converter?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:28 pm 
LOST Junkie

I'd say either a boost leak or air in fuel. Does it do anything else different, like start harder or anything?

05 Liberty Limited CRD, converted to KPA 2863 ball bearing and billet turbo, 50hp injectorsl, complete egr delete, cooling fan delete, weeks intake kit, cummins in tank lift pump, ARP studs, 3" turbo back exhaust, samcos, etecno plugs, GDE trans tune, custom GDE engine tune.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:34 pm 

John, TC should not cause loss of speed unless you feel TC slippage or chatter when slightly accelerating up an incline while transmission is in total lockup...... :roll:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:50 pm 
LOST Addict

If yours has the GDE tune then that would be the reason.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 pm 
LOST Member

WWDiesel wrote:
John, TC should not cause loss of speed unless you feel TC slippage or chatter when slightly accelerating up an incline while transmission is in total lockup...... :roll:

I have had it shutter while going up a hill when the speed is below the 5 speed shift point and above the down shift speed. I would assume the trans is fully locked up at that speed?

diesel_guy86 wrote:
I'd say either a boost leak or air in fuel. Does it do anything else different, like start harder or anything?

A boost leak is possible. I had this system before changing the rockers so it would have to be the intercooler or somewhere from the piping to the EGR valve.

CATCRD wrote:
If yours has the GDE tune then that would be the reason.

Both have the GDE tune. I never heard of the GDE tune causing something like this?

Both CRD's have good acceleration and get good mileage. I just went on a 4500 mile trip again the first 2 weeks of July and had no problems other that this. I have had this ever since the beginning just thought I would through it out there to see what all the minds in LJ could come up with. However, this problem is irritating at times. :5SHOTS:

GDE ECO Tune
Fumoto
Samco Hoses

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:23 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't know if they still do it, but the earlier GDE tunes allowed mph to droop slightly on uphill grades to save fuel. I had them omit that feature on my tune after disliking if on my wife's CRD. They drove different, as you described.